Screener to Callback to Offer Ratio - OCI and Pre-OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
HazenDazsw

New

Screener to Callback to Offer Ratio - OCI and Pre-OCI

Post by HazenDazsw » Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:37 am

Wondering if anyone has a rough idea or any data on the screener to callback to offer ratios for the major NY firms. All firms would be helpful but in particular looking for Cravath, Latham, Skadden, Cleary, Milbank, and White & Case.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Screener to Callback to Offer Ratio - OCI and Pre-OCI

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:30 pm

What you should really do is chill the fuck out and not sweat this if you're getting so many screeners but, insofar as decent data exist here, you can get them from your career office

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:33 am

Cravath gives offers to about 75-80% of everyone who gets a screener. They are desperate to hire anyone they can due to their loss of prestige in recent years. It's a solid fallback option if White & Case, etc. don't work out

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:32 am

You aren't going to get any useful data about this. It will vary quite a bit from school to school, year to year, and candidate to candidate. For example, a school with pre-select may be different from what that is all bids.

As a general rule, if you get a callback, the offer is probably yours more likely than not (though far from guaranteed).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:38 pm

I don't know anyone who got a majority of callbacks to offers conversion (best was like half), and I know many who got 1-2 offers out of 5+ callbacks. So I don't think it's 75% anywhere.

In any case, like someone else said, you can't control it, so just do your best and then see what offers you get and decide then.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:17 pm

nealric wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:32 am
You aren't going to get any useful data about this. It will vary quite a bit from school to school, year to year, and candidate to candidate. For example, a school with pre-select may be different from what that is all bids.

As a general rule, if you get a callback, the offer is probably yours more likely than not (though far from guaranteed).
This is very obviously the advice of someone who did interviews before Covid. Nothing is the same.

nealric

Post by nealric » Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:17 pm
nealric wrote:

This is very obviously the advice of someone who did interviews before Covid. Nothing is the same.
I did mine during the great recession where 0% callback to offer conversion was quite common. I went 1 for 7. I don't think pre-post COVID is a particularly useful metric. It's a question of whether it's a strong or weak hiring year. 2022 would have been a stronger year than 2023. But it's also school/location/firm dependent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:42 am

nealric wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:58 am
Anonymous User wrote:
nealric wrote:

I did mine during the great recession where 0% callback to offer conversion was quite common. I went 1 for 7. I don't think pre-post COVID is a particularly useful metric. It's a question of whether it's a strong or weak hiring year. 2022 would have been a stronger year than 2023. But it's also school/location/firm dependent.
What you don’t seem to understand is 1) the pre select vs lottery school distinction is far less relevant now that official OCI is an afterthought, and 2) callback to offer rates seem to be lower across the board, regardless of the economy, because the structure of the interview system has changed so much (e.g., many firms skip screeners completely and send you straight to callback). COVID shifted the system to more virtual interviews and IMO it seems easier to get the interview but not necessarily easier to get the offer now.

nealric

Post by nealric » Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:42 am
nealric wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nealric wrote:

What you don’t seem to understand is 1) the pre select vs lottery school distinction is far less relevant now that official OCI is an afterthought, and 2) callback to offer rates seem to be lower across the board, regardless of the economy, because the structure of the interview system has changed so much (e.g., many firms skip screeners completely and send you straight to callback). COVID shifted the system to more virtual interviews and IMO it seems easier to get the interview but not necessarily easier to get the offer now.
Fair enough, but I'm referring to a traditional callback when a firm pays for you to travel, puts you up in a hotel, and interviews you at least a substantial portion of the day. Perhaps things have changed such that firms aren't doing this anymore, but it's still an investment in the candidate that they wouldn't do if they weren't at least somewhat serious. But we've only had 2 real post-COVID recruiting cycles and things are very clearly in flux.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:42 am
nealric wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nealric wrote:

pre-covid cb/offer rates were brutal. I went something like 7/22.

offer rates are strong you guys just got comfy with covid hiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:06 am
pre-covid cb/offer rates were brutal. I went something like 7/22.

offer rates are strong you guys just got comfy with covid hiring.
You got 22 callbacks???

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:39 am

Wonder if it varies materially across locations. I bid in DC and NY and I remember going for 0 for 4 in DC but 4 for 5 in New York.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:39 am
Wonder if it varies materially across locations. I bid in DC and NY and I remember going for 0 for 4 in DC but 4 for 5 in New York.
I think the New York offices that hire large classes do tend to have higher CB/offer ratios. The big NY firms are also traditionally less likely to no-offer SAs. I don't know if it's still true, but it was the case 10-15 years ago that Texas firms were much more likely to no-offer (perhaps in part due to the tradition of split summers).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”