Distinguishing my cover letter Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Distinguishing my cover letter

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:30 am

I am about to send in my cover letter, resume, etc for an attorney position that requires 1-5 years of actual attorney position, but they "will consider recent graduates for the right fit."

I know this is a loaded question, but how do I show that I'm the right fit without actually getting to know the attorneys? So far, my cover letter states that I find the areas of law they do fascinating, going so far as to looking up one of their current cases as an example of the case work I find interesting. Then I go into my legal experiences which involve a major class action that I helped in getting dismissed in my summer position (I drafted the motion and researched everything...but we weren't retained at the time). Then I talk about some academics and how I'm working on getting an article published as we speak. Lastly, I try to address their "right fit" head-on and essentially say that they're looking for the right fit, and given my personal, professional, and academic background I am the right fit.

What would you guys change, if anything, in this cover letter? I actually really enjoy the work they do (not just some bullshit statement I was saying), they have a solid reputation around the area, and they are growing.

criminaltheory

Bronze

Re: Distinguishing my cover letter

Post by criminaltheory » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:06 pm

this is not seasoned advice but -

what kind of work do they do and is it related in any way to what you've done before? I've always found law student claims that some area of law that they haven't experienced as "interesting" or "fascinating" as kind of puerile, at best suited for an internship application. it strikes me as boilerplate ("I am interested in __ law. For example, your case __ is fascinating.") . what the firm probably means by right-fit is someone who has demonstrated interested with relevant experience in whatever it is they are doing. if you are a right-fit, show that you know the firm's relevant needs by highlighting your related experiences and skill sets. I'd leave academics in your resume unless there's something really noteworthy - to me, the willingness to consider recent grads means they want practical experience, don't unnecessarily remind them you're a student. talk like a junior peer professional. and I'd only mention the article-in-progress if 1) you're unemployed and it's how you're spending your time or 2) it's directly on-point with their practice.

Your close is a good idea, but instead of telling them what they know ("you are looking for..."), tell then you are looking for a career in whatever law, and that given your background you would be the right fit at their firm.

Anonymous User

Re: Distinguishing my cover letter

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:43 pm

OP here, so they do a lot of business/commercial litigation, unfair trade practices, etc... and my article is on data breach class actions. I have more academic experience in their main areas of law, given that most of my practical experience is mostly general litigation. As for my academics, I tried to highlight it because most of my 3L year consisted of Trial Ad., Appellate Ad., Complex lit, and state civil procedure (i.e. a lot of practical courses)

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”