US Employment Opportunities for International JD Student Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
svx5013

New

US Employment Opportunities for International JD Student

Post by svx5013 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:42 pm

I know that typically, the only way for international JD students to be employed within the US is to work for biglaws (But, nowadays, even domestic associates are being laid off, and firms are only interested in either hiring laterals, or contract layers, I don't wanna be a Pollyanna to assume that I could land any biglaw jobs).

So my question is: what other job opportunities do I have? I know non-resident aliens are ineligible for government jobs. But are we eligible for public interest jobs? Would median/small sized firms hire (and sponsor) non-resident aliens? Any other possible options?

Welcome any comments, suggestions! Thank you!!

Anonymous User

Re: US Employment Opportunities for International JD Student

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:25 am

You can always join the army (and get your green card in a few years).

The next possibility is to marry a U.S. citizen.

In short, solving your immigration status is more important than finding an employer who may sponsor your H-1B visa application. The reason is that almost no H-1B visa holder as an attorney can be granted an employment-based green card when working for a law firm. Hence, few law firm would take the risk of training you for three or six years then having to let you go. This is especially true for small law firms. BigLaw with international offices may care less about your visa status if they are flexible enough to send you there.

Unless the position is immigration-related or patent-focused or foreign language-required, a foreign JD student would not be more "employable" than a domestic J.D. student. If you want to stay in the U.S. and practice law, getting your green card should take first priority. There are so many, young, attractive, and single J.D. students with the same or opposite sex in law school. Find one to marry! If you are already married, figure out a way to help your spouse get a green card. Be resourceful.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

svx5013

New

Post by svx5013 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:You can always join the army (and get your green card in a few years).

In short, solving your immigration status is more important than finding an employer who may sponsor your H-1B visa application. The reason is that almost no H-1B visa holder as an attorney can be granted an employment-based green card. Few firm would take the risk of training you for three or six years then having to let you go. This is especially true for small law firms.

Unless the position is immigration-related or patent-focused or foreign language-required, a foreign JD student would not be more "employable" than a domestic J.D. student.
Thanks!! one follow-up question: after i get married with a citizen, do you know approximately how long would i obtain permanent resident status? several months? years? any ideas?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:40 am

svx5013 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You can always join the army (and get your green card in a few years).

In short, solving your immigration status is more important than finding an employer who may sponsor your H-1B visa application. The reason is that almost no H-1B visa holder as an attorney can be granted an employment-based green card. Few firm would take the risk of training you for three or six years then having to let you go. This is especially true for small law firms.

Unless the position is immigration-related or patent-focused or foreign language-required, a foreign JD student would not be more "employable" than a domestic J.D. student.
Thanks!! one follow-up question: after i get married with a citizen, do you know approximately how long would i obtain permanent resident status? several months? years? any ideas?
Consult with an immigration attorney or just use your legal research skills to search the immigration law in the U.S. Do not take my posts as LEGAL advice. It's more like a stranger talking to another with no string attached.

svx5013

New

Post by svx5013 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
svx5013 wrote:

Consult with an immigration attorney or just use your legal research skills to search the immigration law in the U.S. Do not take my posts as LEGAL advice. It's more like a stranger talking to another with no string attached.
ok i got it! thx!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sheenam123

New

Post by Sheenam123 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:54 pm

What other job opportunities are there for an international JD student in the states? Also I am really confused between taking up LLB from England or JD from the U.S.Can anyone tell me which one is better in terms of job prospects and visa issues as I don't want to work in my country.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:20 pm

The LLB is more closely matched with hiring needs in Britain than the JD is in the US, though top US JD degrees are definitely equal to or even better than top UK LLBs. Generally, the best entry-level jobs in the US for JDs pay a lot more and are generally better launching pads than similar jobs in the UK, but the UK lawyers do mostly catch up with time, and the bottom of the market for US JDs is mass unemployment while UK LLBs generally don't have too much trouble finding some job as a lawyer. If this is a choice, though, I think a Canadian JD is the best value proposition. Work visas are easier to get in Canada than in the UK and the US anyway, and Canada actually has a bit of a lawyer shortage (certainly when compared to the US). There also isn't much prestige difference among law schools in Canada, unlike the dramatic differences in the US and even the UK.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”