Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Pick one:

Stanford
111
38%
Yale
61
21%
Harvard
50
17%
Columbia with $$-$$$
18
6%
Chicago with $$-$$$
14
5%
NYU with $$-$$$
15
5%
Lower T-14 with $$$
25
9%
 
Total votes: 294

User avatar
everything_bagel
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby everything_bagel » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:23 am

Image
Thank you xylocarp for the amazing banner!


Let's apply to paradise Stanford!

Image

Please share helpful links to put in the OP. GOOD LUCK!

Image Image Image

Stanford Applicants Spreadsheet — Add your stats! Please don’t edit anything other than your own line of info, including sorting the data or filtering it in any way! If you want to do those things, go to file → make a copy, and then do whatever you want to your copied version.

Application Process
- SLS Website
- Fee: $100 (no merit waivers)
- 1-2 page resume
- Personal Statement ("about 2 pages")
- [Optional] Diversity Statement
- Blog Post on PS
- Dean Faye Deal's admissions blog
- Dean's Statement (upon admission)
- 2-4 Letters of Recommendation (high emphasis placed on school-specific letters)

Key Dates
Application Opens: September 10 UPDATE: September 2!
Application Deadline: February 2

Visiting
Virtual Tour
MUNGER

Image

In-person visits

Awesome Facts
LST Profile
Employment Stats
The "3D Model" of Legal Education

Goings-on
Good People Should Not Be Prosecutors

Reference Threads
Class of 2017 Applicants
Class of 2017 Waitlist

Class of 2016 Applicants
Class of 2016 Waitlist
Class of 2016 Accepted

SLS 1L Taking Questions

SLS c/o 2016 Profile
Number of Applications: 3,966
Number of Admission Offers: 392
Percentage Offered Admission: 10.3%
Matriculants: 179

GPA 75th / Median / 25th percentiles: 3.95 / 3.87 / 3.76
LSAT 75th / Median / 25th percentiles: 173 / 171/ 169

SLS Applicants 2013-2014

Image
Note that these numbers are from Law School Numbers and reflect some measure of self-selection.

Employment Outcomes

Image
*2.6% of jobs reflected in these numbers are school-funded.
Data from Law School Transparency.


Tuition and Financial Aid
Tuition (2013-2014): $52,350
Total Including Books and COL: $82,761
Average Financial Aid Award: $23,000
Financial Aid Budgeting for Laptops: $3,300
LRAP (note: can cover other student loans/fees incurred in other grad programs)

Student Body

Image
Data from Law School Transparency.

Poll Results

Image

Image

Image



Image


Image Image Image
Last edited by everything_bagel on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 16 times in total.

User avatar
w0w
Posts: 570
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby w0w » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:46 am

Checking in. Not into the location but whateves.

User avatar
blueberrycrumble
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:07 am

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby blueberrycrumble » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:52 am

Checking in! The sun, I love warm weather :shock: especially for me, coming from rainland.

User avatar
everything_bagel
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby everything_bagel » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:01 am

This place is the best, but you guys, I don't know if I could handle the lack of snow.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby ilikebaseball » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:03 am

everything_bagel wrote:This place is the best, but you guys, I don't know if I could handle the lack of snow.


i would give my left nut to have the gpa to go to stanford. serious. i wanted to go in UG, didnt make it. Wanted to go to law school there, but I effed up my GPA. Literally, I would give my left nut to go.

User avatar
w0w
Posts: 570
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby w0w » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:03 am

I love that it's just all the same people in all the threads! I know it'll pick up over the next months but still.

I'm just not a west coast girl but we'll see where the cycle takes me.

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4787
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby xylocarp » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:07 am

Checking in! Everything about Stanford is super appealing except for how far away it is from everything and everybody I know... I'd be enthralled to have to think about it any further

User avatar
everything_bagel
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby everything_bagel » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:12 am

choward014 wrote:
everything_bagel wrote:This place is the best, but you guys, I don't know if I could handle the lack of snow.


i would give my left nut to have the gpa to go to stanford. serious. i wanted to go in UG, didnt make it. Wanted to go to law school there, but I effed up my GPA. Literally, I would give my left nut to go.


omg none of this is meant to imply at all that this isn't the best place. plz don't misunderstand the poll/my comment. we'd all be so lucky to go here and I OP'd for a reason--I'd go in a heartbeat. just some light digging on a school that typically gets some major props for its location/weather...

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby ilikebaseball » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:13 am

everything_bagel wrote:
choward014 wrote:
everything_bagel wrote:This place is the best, but you guys, I don't know if I could handle the lack of snow.


i would give my left nut to have the gpa to go to stanford. serious. i wanted to go in UG, didnt make it. Wanted to go to law school there, but I effed up my GPA. Literally, I would give my left nut to go.


omg none of this is meant to imply at all that this isn't the best place. plz don't misunderstand the poll/my comment. we'd all be so lucky to go here and I OP'd for a reason--I'd go in a heartbeat. just some light digging on a school that typically gets some major props for its location/weather...


what? im not like taking a jab at you, im just stating how much i wanna go and your the op so i quoted you

User avatar
everything_bagel
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby everything_bagel » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:14 am

w0w wrote:I love that it's just all the same people in all the threads! I know it'll pick up over the next months but still.

I'm just not a west coast girl but we'll see where the cycle takes me.


I actually thought this one might get a different crowd since some people aren't willing to consider California. I guess not!

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4787
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby xylocarp » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:15 am

everything_bagel wrote:
w0w wrote:I love that it's just all the same people in all the threads! I know it'll pick up over the next months but still.

I'm just not a west coast girl but we'll see where the cycle takes me.


I actually thought this one might get a different crowd since some people aren't willing to consider California. I guess not!

I crossed Berk off my list for that reason but this is STANFORD

User avatar
everything_bagel
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby everything_bagel » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:16 am

choward014 wrote:
everything_bagel wrote:omg none of this is meant to imply at all that this isn't the best place. plz don't misunderstand the poll/my comment. we'd all be so lucky to go here and I OP'd for a reason--I'd go in a heartbeat. just some light digging on a school that typically gets some major props for its location/weather...


what? im not like taking a jab at you, im just stating how much i wanna go and your the op so i quoted you


Oh okay nbd! Your comment just made me realize people could take this stuff in the wrong way (even if you didn't). Complaints about the weather/location sound a little entitled if read the wrong way, right?

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby ilikebaseball » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:17 am

everything_bagel wrote:
choward014 wrote:
everything_bagel wrote:omg none of this is meant to imply at all that this isn't the best place. plz don't misunderstand the poll/my comment. we'd all be so lucky to go here and I OP'd for a reason--I'd go in a heartbeat. just some light digging on a school that typically gets some major props for its location/weather...


what? im not like taking a jab at you, im just stating how much i wanna go and your the op so i quoted you


Oh okay nbd! Your comment just made me realize people could take this stuff in the wrong way (even if you didn't). Complaints about the weather/location sound a little entitled if read the wrong way, right?


I've never been in Cali, but I've seen pics of Stanford's campus and always told myself I was gonna go to school there. It's a shame my gpa is so low. Like I said, left nut. Maybe in another lifetime

User avatar
Atmosphere
Posts: 491
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby Atmosphere » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:52 am

Checkin in :o

suppy183
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:40 am

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby suppy183 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:45 am

Since it's even more of a long shot than Harvard for a splitter like me, I'm not really sure why I'm doing this. Actually, posting this is making me reconsider whether I should actually do it. It just feels an awful lot like setting fire to $100. We'll see..

User avatar
w0w
Posts: 570
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby w0w » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:05 am

suppy183 wrote:Since it's even more of a long shot than Harvard for a splitter like me, I'm not really sure why I'm doing this. Actually, posting this is making me reconsider whether I should actually do it. It just feels an awful lot like setting fire to $100. We'll see..


That's exactly how I feel about Yale- but I'm sure everyone does.

User avatar
LeeAllen
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby LeeAllen » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:20 am

Checking in... Stanford's my dream school, so, fingers crossed.

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:11 am

Probably no shot, but would absolutely love to be here. Is everybody doing a targeted letter? Two?

User avatar
MtnGinger
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:30 am

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby MtnGinger » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:15 am

Checking in I love Stanford but like everyone else the Cali location is a bit of a put off. Doesn't matter since I'll never get in though :D

User avatar
lilyt93
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:22 am

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby lilyt93 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:09 pm

Checking in! Stanford is my top choice, so I'm working hard on my application!

What have you guys told your professors about the school-specific recs, if you did so at all?

User avatar
LeeAllen
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby LeeAllen » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:52 pm

lilyt93 wrote:Checking in! Stanford is my top choice, so I'm working hard on my application!

What have you guys told your professors about the school-specific recs, if you did so at all?

I requested school-specific recs from all my recommenders for Stanford. They have to go through LSAC so I believe that I'll have a chance to view them before they get sent on, right?

User avatar
w0w
Posts: 570
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby w0w » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:01 pm

LeeAllen wrote:
lilyt93 wrote:Checking in! Stanford is my top choice, so I'm working hard on my application!

What have you guys told your professors about the school-specific recs, if you did so at all?

I requested school-specific recs from all my recommenders for Stanford. They have to go through LSAC so I believe that I'll have a chance to view them before they get sent on, right?


Only if you selected to be able to see them. Does Stanford require school specific recommendations or something?

User avatar
lilyt93
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:22 am

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby lilyt93 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:07 pm

w0w wrote:Only if you selected to be able to see them. Does Stanford require school specific recommendations or something?


They seem to really prefer them. From their website: Please be aware of the high value Stanford places on school-specific letters of recommendation.

I asked my professors to write a general and a Stanford letter, and I gave them a whole paragraph of why Stanford is my top choice. I'm not sure what else they can add because they aren't connected to Stanford in any way.

User avatar
lilyt93
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:22 am

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby lilyt93 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:08 pm

LeeAllen wrote:I requested school-specific recs from all my recommenders for Stanford. They have to go through LSAC so I believe that I'll have a chance to view them before they get sent on, right?


I think I'm going to request to be able to view them just to be 100% certain that they uploaded the letters correctly. I would hate to send a general letter to Stanford and then a Stanford letter to everyone else... Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm pretty sure it's worth it to me.

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4787
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Postby xylocarp » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:22 pm

lilyt93 wrote:
LeeAllen wrote:I requested school-specific recs from all my recommenders for Stanford. They have to go through LSAC so I believe that I'll have a chance to view them before they get sent on, right?


I think I'm going to request to be able to view them just to be 100% certain that they uploaded the letters correctly. I would hate to send a general letter to Stanford and then a Stanford letter to everyone else... Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm pretty sure it's worth it to me.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that's how it works. I think the rule is that you have the right to see your LORs from the school you decide to attend, once you are enrolled, but only at that point. By signing the waiver, you waive that right. Not signing the waiver doesn't mean you get to see your LORs before they get sent off. I've read this before but can't find it now -- someone else please weigh in?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon-e-miss, HEARTH, Jack_Kelly, syayoi, twtwtwtw and 13 guests