Columbia worth 200k?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Columbia or WUSTL 135k

Columbia
65%
WUSTL
35%

Total votes: 198

adt231

Bronze

Re: Columbia worth 200k??

Post by adt231 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:21 pm

nickwar wrote:I don't care how "interested" he says he is in biglaw. It's not worth $250k+ over a free top-20 degree with a chance (albeit smaller) at biglaw. Ever.
This is just silly. See my post above.

bender18

Bronze

Post by bender18 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:30 pm

There is a key difference here though. Biglaw from WUSTL would be phenomenal. Not only are you making a lot of $$, but you have no huge loans to pay. I know people who were in big law for 3+ years and still have student debt.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:39 pm

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:07 pm

Hannibal wrote:Don't go into biglaw:

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/04/not-worth-it/
FTFY. Spitlaw isn't "worth it" either.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:08 pm

bender18 wrote:There is a key difference here though. Biglaw from WUSTL would be phenomenal. Not only are you making a lot of $$, but you have no huge loans to pay. I know people who were in big law for 3+ years and still have student debt.
Would that be ideal? Of course. But the chances of that not happening are basically 85-90%.

ETA: I just saw someone linked to that People's Therapist. He is horrible, IMO, and just projects his own failures onto his patients. I do read for the trainwreck value because his articles always seem like he's on the edge of a nervous breakdown :lol:.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:10 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Don't go into biglaw:

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/04/not-worth-it/
FTFY. Spitlaw isn't "worth it" either.
Why do you say that? Also, spitlaw = shitlaw I'm assuming.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:24 pm

Hannibal wrote: Why do you say that? Also, spitlaw = shitlaw I'm assuming.
Correct assumption. For some reason I feel like shitlaw is too derogatory of a term to describe someone's career, but I guess spitlaw isn't really any better. Based on a couple of convo's I've had with people that are associates at small law firms, they work long hours doing tedious work as well. It may not be quite as soul crushing, but it still is to an extent.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:32 pm

keg411 wrote:
bender18 wrote:There is a key difference here though. Biglaw from WUSTL would be phenomenal. Not only are you making a lot of $$, but you have no huge loans to pay. I know people who were in big law for 3+ years and still have student debt.
Would that be ideal? Of course. But the chances of that not happening are basically 85-90%.

ETA: I just saw someone linked to that People's Therapist. He is horrible, IMO, and just projects his own failures onto his patients. I do read for the trainwreck value because his articles always seem like he's on the edge of a nervous breakdown :lol:.
Either that guy was really clueless or he needs to stop whining. Yeah, BigLaw is draining. Yeah, BigLaw can suck. Tell me something I didn't already know. He blabbers about how awful it is.

I complain about how LS is a lot of fucking awful work. But I don't blame law school.* I knew :generally: what to expect coming in, and that is what I got. Only person I can blame for getting me into this situation is myself. But for him to blame BigLaw for being "too hard" would be the same as me blaming law school for being to hard. In both cases it would be pathetic whining.

*Note: I will blame schools with manipulating data, money grabbing and not teaching valuable skills. But those awful truths are not related to the difficulty of participating.

théo

New

Post by théo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:29 pm

I voted for WUSTL. When you graduate, you'll have no debt, complete freedom, and a JD from a solid law school. I see no risk and no negatives with this choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Robespierre wrote:Yes, Columbia is worth 200K. But that doesn't settle the issue, because a free JD from the #18 law school in the country is also very valuable.

They're both fantastic choices so don't sweat it.

Which is more important to you? Working in NY after graduation (which indicates CLS), or having no debt (which indicates WUSTL)? Go with your gut after visiting.

For me: WUSTL. But that means nothing.
He'd still be taking out 60k in loans for COL.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:32 pm

théo wrote:I voted for WUSTL. When you graduate, you'll have no debt, complete freedom, and a JD from a solid law school. I see no risk and no negatives with this choice.
what about COL??????

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:33 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
Robespierre wrote:Yes, Columbia is worth 200K. But that doesn't settle the issue, because a free JD from the #18 law school in the country is also very valuable.

Which is more important to you? Working in NY after graduation (which indicates CLS), or having no debt (which indicates WUSTL)? Go with your gut after visiting.

RC fail

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:35 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:

RC fail
LOL. That always was my worst LSAT section.

I don't know what I'd do then. This is tough. It depends on if OP wants NYC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

théo

New

Post by théo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:46 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
théo wrote:I voted for WUSTL. When you graduate, you'll have no debt, complete freedom, and a JD from a solid law school. I see no risk and no negatives with this choice.
what about COL??????
He said this:

135k at Wash U covers the tuition with some left over, plus since my parents live in St.Louis, I can live with them and will likely graduate with no debt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”