What is the value of an L.L.M (Not Tax)? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
reasonable_man

Gold

Re: What is the value of an L.L.M (Not Tax)?

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:22 am

LT2012 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
LT2012 wrote:anyone know anything about the gulc llm in securities regulation? how is that viewed by biglaw/government?
Deleted.
gw also has a business and finance llm that im looking at. but how do employers view it? will it offset a TTT JD?

They view it sorta like this...

--ImageRemoved--

Nice rims.. Too bad the car is shit... Same with an LLM. Nice LLM (whatever that is -- I thought it meant Lawyers Losing Money), too bad his JD is fucking TTT. Lets go hire that kid from Harvard.... Some will argue with my position on this point. They will be wrong.
Last edited by reasonable_man on Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:27 am

reasonable_man wrote:
LT2012 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
LT2012 wrote:anyone know anything about the gulc llm in securities regulation? how is that viewed by biglaw/government?
I will be applying to GULC Securities & Financial Regulation LLM in the fall. I am a 2L at Loyola Law School Los Angeles, Law Review Articles Editor. I interned at the SEC last summer and have an article forthcoming in the Journal of Business & Technology Law at the University of Maryland on the SEC whistleblower program. A big reason this is on the table is because my girlfriend is an undergrad at Georgetown (9.5 years younger...). We are getting engaged in the next two or three months. I will need to be in DC regardless of whether SEC hires me right out of law school. I want to work in government. The private sector (law firm or financial institution) is the backup option.
gw also has a business and finance llm that im looking at. but how do employers view it? will it offset a TTT JD?

They view it sorta like this...

[img] Nice rims.. Too bad the car is shit... Same with an LLM. Nice LLM (whatever that is -- I thought it meant Lawyers Losing Money), too bad his JD is fucking TTT. Lets go hire that kid from Harvard.... Some will argue with my position on this point. They will be wrong.
For the first time on this site, I'm gonna have to disagree with you r_m. Those rims are shit.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:49 am

Nope. We still agree on pretty much everything. It was just the best example I could find of blng and ding, so I went with it. I'm not one for gigantic rims, but even if I were, these are ugly as shit.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:53 am

reasonable_man wrote:Nope. We still agree on pretty much everything. It was just the best example I could find of blng and ding, so I went with it. I'm not one for gigantic rims, but even if I were, these are ugly as shit.
Relief sigh breathed. Now that coat, that's something I could get behind.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:09 am

patrickd139 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Nope. We still agree on pretty much everything. It was just the best example I could find of blng and ding, so I went with it. I'm not one for gigantic rims, but even if I were, these are ugly as shit.
Relief sigh breathed. Now that coat, that's something I could get behind.
I like where your head is at on that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:55 am

RM: I know you have previously disparaged the GULC Securities program on these forums. All I ask is that you run a quick search on Linkedin to see the caliber of the people who have done the program and the positions they hold.
Last edited by Danteshek on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Danteshek wrote:I understand the skepticism. I guess I will have to live with that. Nobody commented directly on my situation, though. I understand big firms are out of the picture. My goal is either to work for the federal government or work in a small whistleblower plaintiff's firm. To re-interate, I have significant pre-law school experience in finance (CSA in major institutional asset management firm), experience as a Summer Honors intern at SEC, published article on Dodd-Frank. Law Review Articles Editor at #54 ranked school. I missed OCI because I transferred, so l missed the boat with large law firms. If I can get hired at SEC or a small FCA/SEC whistleblower firm right out of law school, this goes out the window, obviously. I will be 30 years old when I graduate from law school.

RM: I know you have previously disparaged the GULC Securities program on these forums. All I ask is that you run a quick search on Linkedin to see the caliber of the people who have done the program and the positions they hold.

PS. I am also considering how the specialized credential will look to my future (lay) whistleblower clients.

Hey man, I'm not saying that people don't get some mileage out of the program. Maybe they do... But what kind of JDs did those linked in people have? Either way, I hope you get into the SEC without it, because frankly, that experieince will far surpass an LLM for future career prospects.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:54 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Danteshek wrote:I understand the skepticism. I guess I will have to live with that. Nobody commented directly on my situation, though. I understand big firms are out of the picture. My goal is either to work for the federal government or work in a small whistleblower plaintiff's firm. To re-interate, I have significant pre-law school experience in finance (CSA in major institutional asset management firm), experience as a Summer Honors intern at SEC, published article on Dodd-Frank. Law Review Articles Editor at #54 ranked school. I missed OCI because I transferred, so l missed the boat with large law firms. If I can get hired at SEC or a small FCA/SEC whistleblower firm right out of law school, this goes out the window, obviously. I will be 30 years old when I graduate from law school.

PS. I am also considering how the specialized credential will look to my future (lay) whistleblower clients.

Hey man, I'm not saying that people don't get some mileage out of the program. Maybe they do... But what kind of JDs did those linked in people have? Either way, I hope you get into the SEC without it, because frankly, that experieince will far surpass an LLM for future career prospects.
Not only that, but how many of those people were already on the path to SEC before the LLM?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:12 pm

I remember meeting several GULC securities alums at SEC in Washington last summer. The thing to keep in mind is that the program is very small. A quick Linkedin search will reveal that a good number of students in the program already have experience in securities practice (mainly the part-timers and international students). Those folks who enter the full-time program straight after law school tend to have substantial relevant pre-law school experience and/or internships with regulatory agencies (like myself). Students in the program have JDs from schools all over the map (top schools, mid/lower ranked schools, international schools etc). About 60-70 percent of the students have JDs from US law schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LT2012

New

Post by LT2012 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:12 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
LT2012 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
I will be applying to GULC Securities & Financial Regulation LLM in the fall. I am a 2L at Loyola Law School Los Angeles, Law Review Articles Editor. I interned at the SEC last summer and have an article forthcoming in the Journal of Business & Technology Law at the University of Maryland on the SEC whistleblower program. A big reason this is on the table is because my girlfriend is an undergrad at Georgetown (9.5 years younger...). We are getting engaged in the next two or three months. I will need to be in DC regardless of whether SEC hires me right out of law school. I want to work in government. The private sector (law firm or financial institution) is the backup option.
Probably not to the extent it opens biglaw doors. Do you have a business or finance UG degree, and then business or finance w/e?
yes, i have 5 years of experience at a hedge fund and an undergraduate degree in finance.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:48 pm

I think LT2012 is a Flame. If he were real, I think he would have responded to my PM.

LT2012

New

Post by LT2012 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Danteshek wrote:I think LT2012 is a Flame. If he were real, I think he would have responded to my PM.
"This message has been removed by its author before it was delivered." - this one?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:32 pm

reasonable_man wrote: They view it sorta like this...

http://www.youputrimsonthat.com/wp-cont ... 785848.jpg

Nice rims.. Too bad the car is shit... Same with an LLM. Nice LLM (whatever that is -- I thought it meant Lawyers Losing Money), too bad his JD is fucking TTT. Lets go hire that kid from Harvard.... Some will argue with my position on this point. They will be wrong.
Nah, those rims are ridiculous too. What I'm impressed at is the tires. I have standard sized low profile tires and the generic brand ones are $250 a pop.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:49 pm

LT2012 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:I think LT2012 is a Flame. If he were real, I think he would have responded to my PM.
"This message has been removed by its author before it was delivered." - this one?
Oh, sorry. My mistake. I just wanted to alert you to the Georgetown Securities & Financial Law Forum on Linkedin. That is the best place to ask about the program. I posted a list of questions I received answers to.

grobbelski

Bronze

Post by grobbelski » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:27 pm

What would be the value of an LLM from a T14 for a person at a lower T1 (40s)? Slightly improved employment prospects and access to a new and different market? Would it be worth it for 60k+ in debt? I was looking at a couple of the Georgetown programs among others.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:29 pm

grobbelski wrote:What would be the value of an LLM from a T14 for a person at a lower T1 (40s)? Slightly improved employment prospects and access to a new and different market? Would it be worth it for 60k+ in debt? I was looking at a couple of the Georgetown programs among others.

grobbelski

Bronze

Post by grobbelski » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:05 pm

rad law wrote:
grobbelski wrote:What would be the value of an LLM from a T14 for a person at a lower T1 (40s)? Slightly improved employment prospects and access to a new and different market? Would it be worth it for 60k+ in debt? I was looking at a couple of the Georgetown programs among others.
Thanks radlaw, I hadn't seen that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:04 am

If you are interested in the securities and financial regulation program, we can take the discussion off line. Too many trolls in here to have a reasoned discussion. PM me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”