Why all the hatin on JD/MBA? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Renzo

Gold

Re: Why all the hatin on JD/MBA?

Post by Renzo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:39 am

imchuckbass58 wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:JD will get you almost all jobs you can get with an MBA IF you attend a top school. You can still get management consulting pretty easily. I guess the MBA will help you get I-Banking, which is hard with only a JD.

JD/MBA is bad because it signals to legal employers that you are a flight risk.

JD/MBA is good if you want to upgrade your path to C-LEVEL executive and plan to go the business route first.
This is pretty wrong on every count. If by "get management consulting pretty easily" you mean "hire 1-2 people from each T6," then sure. Also, good luck trying to get a banking, private equity, hedge fund, or general managerial job with a JD. They will laugh in your face.

As for the flight risk point, no, it's just not true (unless you have a really nonsensical story like trying to be an appellate litigator with a JD/MBA). There's a reason most firms give JD/MBA bonuses, actively recruit JD/MBAs (my summer firm was explicitly trying to increase its recruiting of JD/MBAs) and sponsor JD/MBA associations at law schools.
This has not been my experience at all. I was at a recruiting event for mmy summer firm, and a 2L mentioned he was actually a 3L but going into his 4th year to complete his MBA. It was like conversation poison. Two partners proceeded to grill him about why he was pursuing both, and what did he think it was going to add, and was he more interested in business, etc. etc.

droges

Bronze

Post by droges » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:31 pm

I think one of the main reasons for my interest in the joint degree is as an insurance policy, especially in such a tight legal market

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:02 pm

droges wrote:I think one of the main reasons for my interest in the joint degree is as an insurance policy, especially in such a tight legal market
This is what law firms are afraid of.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:24 pm

Renzo wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:
As for the flight risk point, no, it's just not true (unless you have a really nonsensical story like trying to be an appellate litigator with a JD/MBA). There's a reason most firms give JD/MBA bonuses, actively recruit JD/MBAs (my summer firm was explicitly trying to increase its recruiting of JD/MBAs) and sponsor JD/MBA associations at law schools.
This has not been my experience at all. I was at a recruiting event for mmy summer firm, and a 2L mentioned he was actually a 3L but going into his 4th year to complete his MBA. It was like conversation poison. Two partners proceeded to grill him about why he was pursuing both, and what did he think it was going to add, and was he more interested in business, etc. etc.
Well, I actually am a JD/MBA, and it has been my experience entirely, through talking to literally dozens of firms over the course of recruiting. I am sure there are a couple that aren't particularly enthusiastic, but in my experience this is by far the exception, not the rule.

I agree completely that you have to be able to articulate a coherent reason why you are doing the joint degree, and why it's going to help you down the line in you chosen practice area. In fact, you will get asked this in every interview. But assuming you can do this (which shouldn't be too hard), then most people are quite accepting and enthusiastic about it.

And, anecdotally, every JD/MBA I know (and whose general grade level I know) did roughly the same, or in many cases significantly better than their grades would otherwise dictate.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:43 pm

This thread is full of all sorts of incorrect information that I don't have time to respond to right now. If you want some real information from someone in a top JD/MBA program, you can PM me.

Also, listen to poster above.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:13 pm

The issue isn't that a JD/MBA will hurt you in legal recruiting - some firms see it as a definite plus if you want to do transactional and gave give a sound reason why you did it.

For a 4 year program, the issue is the insane cost.
For a 3 year program, the issue is time commitment and credit overload you will face. JD with good grades >>> JD/MBA for legal employment. People go into JD/MBAs thinking its a cure for mediocre grades - it isn't. This is why I think you don't see a lot of JD/MBAs on law review.

Also, from someone who used to work in management consulting. Do not get a JD or JD/MBA for consulting. Yes, people go to HYSCC -> consulting, but its rare and much more costly than UG -> work -> MBA -> consulting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”