NYU 1Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
newforllm

New

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Post by newforllm » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:56 pm

The exam schedule just has morning, afternoon, evening. Are there specific start times for these blocks? I know some exams are different lengths, but does the start time depend on the length of the exam?

cvold

New

Post by cvold » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:26 pm

Just in off the waitlist last week and pretty sure I will attend!
The one thing I am a little hesitant about is housing- I would love to live on campus but I am actually from NYC so have a (free) place to stay with my parents near columbus circle so obviously know that route makes much more financial sense.
Do you think not living on campus has a negative impact on your social/study life? It sounds like a lot of socializing takes place in the dorms!

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:52 pm

newforllm wrote:The exam schedule just has morning, afternoon, evening. Are there specific start times for these blocks? I know some exams are different lengths, but does the start time depend on the length of the exam?
I think the exams will basically all start within like an hour of each other (e.g., 9AM, 9:30 AM, 10:00AM). I believe they're staggered not just because of different exam lengths, but also because they have limited IT people and there's always an IT person in the room before the exam starts.

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:54 pm

cvold wrote:Just in off the waitlist last week and pretty sure I will attend!
The one thing I am a little hesitant about is housing- I would love to live on campus but I am actually from NYC so have a (free) place to stay with my parents near columbus circle so obviously know that route makes much more financial sense.
Do you think not living on campus has a negative impact on your social/study life? It sounds like a lot of socializing takes place in the dorms!
I don't think living off campus has a negative impact on study life, and I also don't really think it has a negative impact on social life, but there's certainly a stronger argument there. I think you might just have a slightly different social life, and that if you do want to go to things on campus in the evening, it might require a little more planning ahead.

My advice, if money matters to you (which it should), would be to stay with your parents.

asics4381

New

Post by asics4381 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:57 am

How difficult would it be to participate in extracurriculars if your commuting 1:15 each way on the train each day in your opinion? Do most hold meetings late in the evening/weekends?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:50 am

asics4381 wrote:How difficult would it be to participate in extracurriculars if your commuting 1:15 each way on the train each day in your opinion? Do most hold meetings late in the evening/weekends?
Lots of people commute and still do extracurriculars, it'll be a little tougher but you'll be just fine. Most of my student orgs meet in the evenings, around 7pm or so, with board meetings scheduled around when people have class (so sometimes these would be during the day). Overall most events seem to start somewhere between 6pm and 8pm, and it's totally fine if you have to duck out early because of a long commute.

Otherwise I'd recommend some of the volunteer projects (kind of like mini clinics that 1Ls can do) since you'll be doing most of your work during the daytime and you can fit it in around your class schedule.

Synch

Bronze

Post by Synch » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:57 am

newforllm wrote:The exam schedule just has morning, afternoon, evening. Are there specific start times for these blocks? I know some exams are different lengths, but does the start time depend on the length of the exam?
The start times are typically 9:30 and 1:30 for 1L exams. You won't have any evening exams. However, I seem to recall that my 3 hour exam in the fall began at 2:30 and ended at 5:30...but my 5 hour exam went from 1:30 to 6:30. So there's some variation

Synch

Bronze

Post by Synch » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:58 am

Oh but if you're an LLM (just saw the 'tar) then maybe everything I just said is wrong.

Actually, "everything I just said may be wrong" was how I ended one of my exams last year. True story.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:33 pm

Synch wrote:Oh but if you're an LLM (just saw the 'tar) then maybe everything I just said is wrong.

Actually, "everything I just said may be wrong" was how I ended one of my exams last year. True story.
Um, pretty sure I did this in Crim last year too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kkdk

Bronze

Post by kkdk » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:46 pm

fkt18 wrote:
Synch wrote:Oh but if you're an LLM (just saw the 'tar) then maybe everything I just said is wrong.

I'm not always wrong...but when I am, everything I said is wrong. :lol:

Synch

Bronze

Post by Synch » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:26 am

fkt18 wrote:

Yep, that is the exam to which I was referring. Realized at the end I had made a huge error, and put in a nice, fat, caveat. That 3 hours went by fast.

E.cola

New

Post by E.cola » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:52 am

Hi! Soon to be 1L here. I'll be living about 25 minutes away from NYU and I'm thinking about getting a printer.
The recurring cost of paper and ink is turning me off the idea, but the thought of trekking back to campus if I'm studying at home and just need to print 1 small thing makes it seem more palatable.
Anybody recommend having a printer? Or is it not a problem using only NYU's printers (the printers at my undergrad were constantly backed up or jammed)?

BuddyHoller

Bronze

Post by BuddyHoller » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:59 am

E.cola wrote:Hi! Soon to be 1L here. I'll be living about 25 minutes away from NYU and I'm thinking about getting a printer.
The recurring cost of paper and ink is turning me off the idea, but the thought of trekking back to campus if I'm studying at home and just need to print 1 small thing makes it seem more palatable.
Anybody recommend having a printer? Or is it not a problem using only NYU's printers (the printers at my undergrad were constantly backed up or jammed)?
I lived off campus and never suffered for lack of a printer. It takes a little foresight, but the campus printers are generally okay. There are a lot of them, so even if there are problems another printer is usually not far away. It's not perfect, but doesn't necessitate a home printer imo.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

universityof

New

Post by universityof » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:47 pm

Will the bookstore have everything we need? Safe to wait until orientation to worry about books?

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:05 pm

universityof wrote:Will the bookstore have everything we need? Safe to wait until orientation to worry about books?
The bookstore will have everything you need, but it's more expensive than Amazon, but then again, you can get pretty fast shipping on Amazon too, once you move in wherever you're living.

The other thing you should definitely check out is the school listserv (Coases) where people will sell their books for cheap. This is especially good if you don't care about writing/highlighting in your book.

I think I ended up averaging like $60/book using that strategy.

PM me if you want more info about listserv

orab

New

Post by orab » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:27 am

Good Morning,

Do all professors use the same books? If not, where I can find the books each professor requires.

BuddyHoller

Bronze

Post by BuddyHoller » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:32 pm

orab wrote:Good Morning,

Do all professors use the same books? If not, where I can find the books each professor requires.
Casebooks definitely vary by professor. I found out which books I needed from the NYU bookstore (the website has a "find my textbooks" section) but I am not sure that feature is available for the fall yet. Alternatively, when your professors create their NYU Classes sections it will be on each syllabus.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Scalia

New

Post by Scalia » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:39 pm

Looking into my textbooks for 1l at some used options on Amazon. A lot of sellers say something like: "May not include supplements such as CD, access code or DVD." Does any of the extra stuff, cd's that come with the the casebook etc., matter at all? Thanks!

Synch

Bronze

Post by Synch » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:03 pm

Scalia wrote:Looking into my textbooks for 1l at some used options on Amazon. A lot of sellers say something like: "May not include supplements such as CD, access code or DVD." Does any of the extra stuff, cd's that come with the the casebook etc., matter at all? Thanks!
I can't imagine it will matter...none of the sections last year, that I know of, ever used CD's or DVD's. The supplements will be what are useful, and those are separate.

But if you're worried, you can just hold off buying textbooks for a few more weeks. It's early, and you don't need them yet - you may also get your syllabus before class starts. I usually get mine a few days before class starts.

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:38 pm

casebooks have CDs?

lol.

kfb2112

New

Post by kfb2112 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:36 pm

In a previous thread someone said you could change your abc123@nyu.edu email to a first.last@law.nyu.edu email. Does anyone remember how to do that? I can't seem to find the thread. Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:51 pm

kfb2112 wrote:In a previous thread someone said you could change your abc123@nyu.edu email to a first.last@law.nyu.edu email. Does anyone remember how to do that? I can't seem to find the thread. Thanks!
yeah if you go on to home.nyu.edu --> preferences (top) --> "Personal addresses"
I think you can maybe only do this every once in a while, so make sure you pick what you want.

Smoking Gunner

New

Post by Smoking Gunner » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:35 am

How does printing work on campus? Do I need to have money on my nyu ID or do I just use a credit card at one of the print stations? Or is it free in the law library? I've been using my own printer but it hasn't been working lately so I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna get everything printed for the rest of the semester.

checkers

Bronze

Post by checkers » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:57 am

Unlimited free printing in the law library. Download the nyu printer utility, print to that, then tap your ID on the black receiver at any printer to print.

Smoking Gunner

New

Post by Smoking Gunner » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:59 am

checkers wrote:Unlimited free printing in the law library. Download the nyu printer utility, print to that, then tap your ID on the black receiver at any printer to print.
Thank you!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”