Best Way to Get Ahead: Start Outlining or Read Ahead? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Squintz805

New

Best Way to Get Ahead: Start Outlining or Read Ahead?

Post by Squintz805 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:15 pm

So, I'm sitting here trying to get ahead before my LARW Briefs start pulling me away from my classes.

Would you guys recommend Reading Ahead in the Casebook/Topics or Begin Outlining?

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Re: Best Way to Get Ahead: Start Outlining or Read Ahead?

Post by unlicensedpotato » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:18 pm

Read ahead and outline the material as you're reading, then add in whatever the prof says when you get to it in class.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:10 pm

neither. enjoy your extra free time before you have a lot of shit to do. you should be able to balance a brief and doctrinal work at the same time

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:12 pm

If you're legitimately struggling to keep up in classes, read a good short hornbook on the subject. Otherwise, relax.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:12 pm

Neither. Plenty of time to work hard later in the semester. Gun like that right now and you'll burn out hard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:37 pm

If you have free time, I think getting a short supplement like Emanuels (not E&E) or an outline from a previous year and reading it could be helpful in giving you a leg up. You will probably find that many of the topics are easy to understand without going to class and listening to your professors.

This was much closer to finals, but last year I took a weekend and read a supplement for a class cover to cover and was basically ready to take the exam.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:39 pm

play xbox

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:07 pm

I'm a read ahead and read supplements guy myself. I don't generally start outlining until halfway through the semester at the earliest, but that's just me.

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:09 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:Gun like that right now and you'll burn out hard.
Man, this is just me personally but I'd much rather put in an extra hour or two a day now to get ahead than have to run around like crazy later on. The latter of those is what burns me out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:10 pm

MarkfromWI wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:Gun like that right now and you'll burn out hard.
Man, this is just me personally but I'd much rather put in an extra hour or two a day now to get ahead than have to run around like crazy later on. The latter of those is what burns me out.
There's no reason to do this unless you aren't comprehending the class material.

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:25 pm

It's not that I'm not comprehending the material, I'm comprehending it just fine. It's just that getting ahead of the material and avoiding that cramming at the end of the semester is a way for me to manage anxiety. In my perfect world I finish all new material with like two weeks of class and essentially extend my reading period. Diff'rent strokes for different folks I guess

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:28 pm

MarkfromWI wrote:It's not that I'm not comprehending the material, I'm comprehending it just fine. It's just that getting ahead of the material and avoiding that cramming at the end of the semester is a way for me to manage anxiety. In my perfect world I finish all new material with like two weeks of class and essentially extend my reading period. Diff'rent strokes for different folks I guess
If you understand the material, there is literally nothing to cram for. There's also not much to be gained from PTs until a few weeks before exams at the earliest. Calm down.

aladdinismyprince

New

Post by aladdinismyprince » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:21 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:Read ahead and outline the material as you're reading, then add in whatever the prof says when you get to it in class.
This. I outline almost every day- I outline the previous day's material.
I also stay ahead in the reading. That way, you'll have extra time to do other stuff near the end of the semester and don't have to stress out when a professor crams all the hard stuff at the end.

I know people who think the amount of work I've put in is excessive. But it has paid off for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:26 pm

You could also read your professors papers that are relevant to the course

Chevron Deference

Bronze

Post by Chevron Deference » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:11 pm

Outline then drink. Do note cards then drink.

Every weekend.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:31 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:You could also read your professors papers that are relevant to the course

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:23 pm

Squintz805 wrote:So, I'm sitting here trying to get ahead before my LARW Briefs start pulling me away from my classes.

Would you guys recommend Reading Ahead in the Casebook/Topics or Begin Outlining?

Why Are We Capitalizing Random Words?

And reading ahead/outlining ahead is a good way to prime yourself for learning the material when your professor teaches it. It obviously isn't necessary, but it might help. Just be sure to pay close attention to how your professor teaches it.

I gunned hard 1L, but I read ahead and finished all of my semester readings/outlines about a month before exams. I think it was really helpful to have those last few weeks to do practice exams and not try to cram new information into my head.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:16 pm

The only thing I did was go to professor office hours and have a talk with them about what I should take away from class and readings (basically, just to see what their view is) and then ask them what common mistakes they see in exams. Other than that, I'm enjoying this month or so of easy going before I have to actually do shit.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:15 pm

Play video games. That way when everyone is peaking stress-wise around exams, you're not and will have a shitload more energy.

orangec90

Bronze

Post by orangec90 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:18 pm

TheoO wrote:The only thing I did was go to professor office hours and have a talk with them about what I should take away from class and readings (basically, just to see what their view is) and then ask them what common mistakes they see in exams. Other than that, I'm enjoying this month or so of easy going before I have to actually do shit.
I did okay first semester, but not great, mainly because I didn't really know how to take the exam. I was thinking of asking my professors these questions to start preparing this semester, but will the professor think I'm crazy for asking so early or be turned off/offended by my asking these questions? Is it to rude to blatantly ask "what are you looking for on an exam"? Thanks in advance for your help

BK88

New

Post by BK88 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:43 am

Personal choice here, you have to do whats best for you. I find that If i start outlining earlier ( around now) i'll have a very solid grasp of this early material, whereas other people will still be struggling with it before exams. It doesn't have to be a perfect outline, but getting this stuff solid in your mind so you can fit newer stuff in really helps me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”