Penn Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DCNTUA

Bronze

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Post by DCNTUA » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:38 pm

Last edited by DCNTUA on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wlee1220

Bronze

Post by wlee1220 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:32 am

Does anyone have access to Morse's entire exam? Not just the 30 question one on reserve?

daisy8080

New

Post by daisy8080 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi,

1) Can any accepted law school students talk about what sorts of extracurriculars they did in college?

2) Opinions on joining a pre-law fraternity for internship/networking connections? (My current mode of thinking: pre-law frat connections --> prestigious internships --> tie breaker for law school admissions between someone else w/ same LSAT/GPA as me)

Thanks in advance!

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:38 pm

daisy8080 wrote:Hi,

1) Can any accepted law school students talk about what sorts of extracurriculars they did in college?

2) Opinions on joining a pre-law fraternity for internship/networking connections? (My current mode of thinking: pre-law frat connections --> prestigious internships --> tie breaker for law school admissions between someone else w/ same LSAT/GPA as me)

Thanks in advance!
Don't do anything that doesn't seem fun and just focus on good grades and LSAT

Actually enjoy college

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:17 pm

daisy8080 wrote:Hi,

Thanks in advance!
Thinking way to much into this.

Best advice, after you graduate from college, work for 2-3 years as a paralegal and see if you actually want to work in law. Being a paralegal will not only help you figure out if you want to be lawyer, but it will help your law school admissions, and your job prospects during/after law school. I highly suggest not going straight from undergrad to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DCNTUA

Bronze

Post by DCNTUA » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:01 pm

Hello upperclassmen,

Please share thoughts on the following electives/professors:

Regulatory Electives:
Administrative (Lee)
Bankruptcy (Mooney)

General Electives:
International (Burke-White)
Law and Economics (Abrams)
Law and Philosophy (Perry)
Property (Balganesh)

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:30 pm

DCNTUA wrote:Hello upperclassmen,

Regulatory Electives:
Administrative (Lee)
Bankruptcy (Mooney)

General Electives:
Property (Balganesh)
Balganesh is the best professor at Penn. Take him.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:57 am

How amenable is Penn to accepting students from lower-ranked schools who want to visit away at Penn during just their 3L year? Is a strong LSAT/GPA needed, or just a compelling reason to be in Philly?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:20 pm

ymmv wrote:
DCNTUA wrote:Hello upperclassmen,

Regulatory Electives:
Administrative (Lee)
Bankruptcy (Mooney)

General Electives:
Property (Balganesh)
Balganesh is the best professor at Penn. Take him.
Don't take Mooney

Abrams is chill as fuck and I heard the exam isn't that bad

Balganesh is great but the exam is apparently hard as balls

Either way the curve will make that not matter

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

B.B. Homemaker

Gold

Post by B.B. Homemaker » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:34 pm

I liked Mooney okay, but I did have to do a lot of legwork teaching myself bankruptcy toward the end.

Abrams is very chill indeed, just don't not do the reading (you'll know when your section is on call). The exam is...not bad in terms of the material not being that difficult, but bad in that some questions are pretty clearly designed to slip you up to make up for the material not being hard. It was a pretty LLM-heavy course last year, though, and he's very generous with the A's and A-'s.

wildcatatpenn

New

Post by wildcatatpenn » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:29 pm

I liked Mooney too. Not really sure why everyone says he's so terrible, probably b/c his lectures are boring I guess. But he's a super chill guy, tells a lot of stories. Doesn't give a shit about attendance, tells you when you're on-call and exactly what to prepare

Lectures are dry, and the other bankruptcy prof is supposed to be great

B.B. Homemaker

Gold

Post by B.B. Homemaker » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:45 pm

wildcatatpenn wrote:I liked Mooney too. Not really sure why everyone says he's so terrible, probably b/c his lectures are boring I guess. But he's a super chill guy, tells a lot of stories. Doesn't give a shit about attendance, tells you when you're on-call and exactly what to prepare

Lectures are dry, and the other bankruptcy prof is supposed to be great
I loved the Mooneyisms.

"I'm no expert on family law, but I do get divorced from time to time."
"[Reading some boomer chain email joke aloud, from a printout no less]."
"...and that's how you avoid a malpractice suit."

And I actually found lectures pretty useful, when I went and when I'd prepared in advance. Guy really knows his shit and is probably pretty helpful for people whose questions aren't like "so what's an automatic stay again? LOL"

Though yeah, Skeel literally wrote the book and might be worth taking if you don't mind waiting until 2L and then pushing back any more advanced classes until 2L spring or 3L.

DCNTUA

Bronze

Post by DCNTUA » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:25 pm

How is Mooney's exam?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

B.B. Homemaker

Gold

Post by B.B. Homemaker » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:48 pm

DCNTUA wrote:How is Mooney's exam?
Enjoyable as exams go. Open everything, no surprises at all. Fact pattern, you're representing X party, you want Y result, go. Do that a few times and then you leave.

Penn16

New

Post by Penn16 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:44 pm

Do NOT take Lee for Admin. That class was awful and the 24-hour take home exam was brutal. Abrams for Law & Econ was great: easy, little required reading, very laid back, and easy exam with a very generous curve.

PennBrady

New

Post by PennBrady » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:29 pm

Penn16 wrote:Do NOT take Lee for Admin. That class was awful and the 24-hour take home exam was brutal. Abrams for Law & Econ was great: easy, little required reading, very laid back, and easy exam with a very generous curve.
Coglianese is pretty terrible for Admin too. Maybe it's the subject matter?

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:26 pm

Definitely wait and take bankruptcy with Skeel; this isn't necessarily a reflection on Mooney being bad, but Skeel is so great. Still my favorite prof at Penn.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

0heL

New

Post by 0heL » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:40 pm

Thanks upperclassmen, there's some great advice here. So does anyone know what's the deal with:

Health Law with Ruger
Legislation with Gelbach
Privacy with Yoo/Steinfeld

Which professors are fairest at grading? Which of these classes draw the most LLM's? Which have the least random finals?

PennBrady

New

Post by PennBrady » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:50 pm

0heL wrote:Thanks upperclassmen, there's some great advice here. So does anyone know what's the deal with:

Health Law with Ruger
Legislation with Gelbach

Which professors are fairest at grading? Which of these classes draw the most LLM's? Which have the least random finals?
Gelbach has never taught Legislation before. He was...less than great for Civ Pro, but he's a good guy. Just rambly and disjointed in his lecture style, and lacking in experience. For legislation this probably doesn't matter, since there's not a lot of substance to the topic anyway.
His Civ Pro exam was funny and fair, if a little bit surprising in some ways.

Ruger was great for Legislation last year, and we wound up talking a lot about health law related cases, I assume because of his expertise on the subject. He's very organized and clear, and he seems to care about students. On the flip side he could be a little better at controlling the class and not letting the gunners filibuster all the time.
Exam was extremely straightforward and fair.

If it comes down to Gelbach vs. Ruger I would pick Ruger any day of the week, regardless of subject matter. No offense to Gelbach - he's still just really green. Plus there are preexisting outlines, which should be a critical consideration.

0heL

New

Post by 0heL » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:04 pm

hahah perfect, just the type of advice i was looking for

wildcatatpenn

New

Post by wildcatatpenn » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:07 am

Hey guys, upperclassmen/grads etc......

when we graduate, what do they give in terms of relative grades? Do we then get an exact GPA # (like 3.454)? Or do we get a ranking (e.g. top 65%)? Or is it just the summa/wtv titles and you are still not allowed to give out GPA/percentile?

tyvm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:00 am

wildcatatpenn wrote:Hey guys, upperclassmen/grads etc......

when we graduate, what do they give in terms of relative grades? Do we then get an exact GPA # (like 3.454)? Or do we get a ranking (e.g. top 65%)? Or is it just the summa/wtv titles and you are still not allowed to give out GPA/percentile?

tyvm
the latter

DCNTUA

Bronze

Post by DCNTUA » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:55 pm

I love B.B.'s tar.

wildcatatpenn

New

Post by wildcatatpenn » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:57 pm

PennBull wrote:
wildcatatpenn wrote:Hey guys, upperclassmen/grads etc......

tyvm
the latter
just to be clear.. you mean just the latin honors right? and still not allowed to provide a GPA?
Last edited by wildcatatpenn on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlwaysPlayTheFox

New

Post by AlwaysPlayTheFox » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:04 pm

PennBrady wrote:
0heL wrote:Thanks upperclassmen, there's some great advice here. So does anyone know what's the deal with:

Health Law with Ruger
Legislation with Gelbach

Gelbach has never taught Legislation before. He was...less than great for Civ Pro, but he's a good guy. Just rambly and disjointed in his lecture style, and lacking in experience. For legislation this probably doesn't matter, since there's not a lot of substance to the topic anyway.
His Civ Pro exam was funny and fair, if a little bit surprising in some ways.

Ruger was great for Legislation last year, and we wound up talking a lot about health law related cases, I assume because of his expertise on the subject. He's very organized and clear, and he seems to care about students. On the flip side he could be a little better at controlling the class and not letting the gunners filibuster all the time.
Exam was extremely straightforward and fair.

If it comes down to Gelbach vs. Ruger I would pick Ruger any day of the week, regardless of subject matter. No offense to Gelbach - he's still just really green. Plus there are preexisting outlines, which should be a critical consideration.
Any thoughts on Privacy with Yoo/Steinfeld

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”