No news from mass mail Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No news from mass mail

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:05 pm

Median at T10. I sent out ~30 mass mailing but haven't heard anything from any of them. Thoughts?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: No news from mass mail

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:08 pm

Your choices are to either A)give up or B)keep hustlin' until you have a job. Which do you think TLS is going to advise?

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:12 pm

30 is not very much. Send out more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:17 pm

Not OP. I've sent out like 300 and no word. What now aside from sitting on my couch eating Almond Rocas and feeling sorry for myself. And researching for OCI of course.

ericsmith249

New

Post by ericsmith249 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Median at T10. I sent out ~30 mass mailing but haven't heard anything from any of them. Thoughts?
What is T10?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lmr

Bronze

Post by lmr » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:23 pm

ericsmith249 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Median at T10. I sent out ~30 mass mailing but haven't heard anything from any of them. Thoughts?
What is T10?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=18478

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:27 pm

1. 30 is laughably low.

2. You won't hear back from most mass mails. Get used to it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:31 pm

Exact same stats/situation. I have a feeling that mass mails are more successful with more competitive candidates. Median students obviously don't look good on paper, so firms probably take one look at our GPA and throw our applications out.

The benefit of OCI is that we can ride more on our interviewing skills and try and overcome low grades. So I'm gonna keep sending out some mails but focus mostly on my interviewing. I'm not expecting much from mass mails.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Exact same stats/situation. I have a feeling that mass mails are more successful with more competitive candidates. Median students obviously don't look good on paper, so firms probably take one look at our GPA and throw our applications out.

The benefit of OCI is that we can ride more on our interviewing skills and try and overcome low grades. So I'm gonna keep sending out some mails but focus mostly on my interviewing. I'm not expecting much from mass mails.
The problem with this is that median students are the ones that most desperately need to mass mail. Your interviewing ability likely won't be changing between now and a few weeks from now. Your time is much better spent applying to more jobs (i.e. mass mailing). That said, if you have serious interviewing deficiencies, you can (and should) be shoring that up ASAP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:33 pm

lmr wrote:
ericsmith249 wrote:
What is T10?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=18478
That did not answer his question.

Anyway, 30 is not a lot. Keep shooting those resumes out.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:38 pm

Mass mailing is a waste of time. I'd do it. But you are better off calling these people and setting up lunches, etc. Or general advice.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:48 pm

sparty99 wrote:Mass mailing is a waste of time. I'd do it. But you are better off calling these people and setting up lunches, etc. Or general advice.
You should be doing both. Mass mailing may not have a high conversion rate but it is far from a waste of time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Dude I'm median from T6 and have only gotten rejections and a few "we're reviewing your application and will get back to you"s. I've mailed ~160 firms (though there's a tiny typo in my cover letters to like 100 of those) :oops:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Exact same stats/situation. I have a feeling that mass mails are more successful with more competitive candidates. Median students obviously don't look good on paper, so firms probably take one look at our GPA and throw our applications out.

OP here. I thought Median wasn't that bad. Are you also targeting a specific market?

My problem is that I'm trying to go back to my hometown, which sadly is one of the better recognized legal markets. So now every Tom, Dick, and Harry is trying to go there with reasons like "my current bf/gf is there" and "because I like the area."
Anonymous User wrote:Dude I'm median from T6 and have only gotten rejections and a few "we're reviewing your application and will get back to you"s. I've mailed ~160 firms (though there's a tiny typo in my cover letters to like 100 of those) :oops:
Specific market, or everybody with an LLP on their tail?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Median at a T14 is a not a terrible place to be, but you still need to be hustling for a job or you could easily end up with nothing.

harbin

New

Post by harbin » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:07 pm

Mass mails are not a waste of time, top 1/3 at lower t14 and two screeners from mass mail already. Big firms that don't usually come to my schools OCI.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:11 pm

What do you say in a mass mail to an out-of-town firm? Do you just pick a date or do you say, "Ill just arrange to come over whenever"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:17 pm

I've sent out around 10 mass mails and it's resulted in two extra interviews at OCI, so I guess my experience is a little different. But I wouldn't say it's a waste of time.

harbin

New

Post by harbin » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:29 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:What do you say in a mass mail to an out-of-town firm? Do you just pick a date or do you say, "Ill just arrange to come over whenever"
Depends on what you're willing to do, but I kept it simple and for ones where I was actually going to be in town I gave a date but for the others I just said "look forward to hearing from you" and didn't mention anything about being in town.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:57 pm

Feel free to pm what you mentioned on your mass mail if you are worried about the way you wrote it. Other than that, it is still early to hear from a lot of them, and 30 is not a high number.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. I thought Median wasn't that bad. Are you also targeting a specific market?

My problem is that I'm trying to go back to my hometown, which sadly is one of the better recognized legal markets. So now every Tom, Dick, and Harry is trying to go there with reasons like "my current bf/gf is there" and "because I like the area."
Anonymous User wrote:Dude I'm median from T6 and have only gotten rejections and a few "we're reviewing your application and will get back to you"s. I've mailed ~160 firms (though there's a tiny typo in my cover letters to like 100 of those) :oops:
Specific market, or everybody with an LLP on their tail?
NY and another major market

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Poster from above here. Unfortunately I don't think median is an OK place to be anymore, what with shrinking class sizes. I made some pretty good connections this summer in a major market, most of which dried up after they heard about my GPA. One connect told me straight up he couldn't help me if I was at median. Others offered to send my resume directly to recruiting but said that I shouldn't expect to hear anything and that I needed to rely on OCI to use that face time to overcome my transcript. It's rough out there.
bk187 wrote:The problem with this is that median students are the ones that most desperately need to mass mail.
In other words, median students are the ones who need to mass mail most and median students are the ones who will get the least out of it. A problem indeed.

For those of you posting that you're getting results, can you name your spot in the class? One guy said he was top third, which would seem to imply that recruiters might just have a general cutoff for giving screeners to mass mailers.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In other words, median students are the ones who need to mass mail most and median students are the ones who will get the least out of it. A problem indeed.
I mean it in the sense that they will have a lower conversion rate. All you need is 1 offer. People with worse grades and/or people at worse schools have a harder time finding a job period. Which is why they need to put more effort into finding a job even if it means they will get more rejections than people who are at the top of the class and/or at top schools.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:27 pm

That is a completely expected outcome. "Mass mailing" means MAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS mailing. Carpet bomb dem firms bro.

You need to realize that essentially what you are doing is blindly soliciting random people for employment. Even at "biglaw" firms, this may not lead to anything... I go to a much shittier school, and sent out WAAAY more in a tertiary market in a flyover state... I "failed" 2L OCI (got a jerb through symplicity later on), but needless to say I still found over 30 places.

If your T6, carpet bomb the top 250 firms dude. Do you come from a flyover state? Even those states have, in some form, a "big" firm that may be interested.

It is way too early to call it quits, keep hustlin'

Best of luck.

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:14 pm

I'm assuming I should be sending mass mailings to firms that are coming to OCI but Im not interviewing with? Edit: because I have been...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”