Laziest Field of Law to make $$$$ Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wyler1085

New

Laziest Field of Law to make $$$$

Post by wyler1085 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:42 pm

In what field of law can you do the least work (particularly writing), while still making a lot of money???

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Laziest Field of Law to make $$$$

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:43 pm

Start your own firm which does traffic violations and somehow through marketing and shit become the go-to guy for that

philly_law

New

Post by philly_law » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:47 pm

I think you need a new career path my man.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:48 pm

philly_law wrote:I think you need a new career path my man.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:54 pm

rad lulz wrote:Start your own firm which does traffic violations and somehow through marketing and shit become the go-to guy for that
This times 1 Million. The main traffic clinic guys in the courthouse I work at clean up. They charge like 200 for like 15 minutes of work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:56 pm

no professional job is lazy. Think about it, being a successful lawyer, doctor, accountant, consultant, banker, etc all means a lot of hard work.

If you really want to be lazy and make a ton of $$$, try to be born in a super rich family that gives you a big pot of money to put into rich-only hedge funds or something like that.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:no professional job is lazy. Think about it, being a successful lawyer, doctor, accountant, consultant, banker, etc all means a lot of hard work.

If you really want to be lazy and make a ton of $$$, try to be born in a super rich family that gives you a big pot of money to put into rich-only hedge funds or something like that.
BRAVE use of anon.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Start your own firm which does traffic violations and somehow through marketing and shit become the go-to guy for that
This times 1 Million. The main traffic clinic guys in the courthouse I work at clean up. They charge like 200 for like 15 minutes of work.
There is a guy on jdunderground.com that claims he makes about $100K a year based off like 2-3 hours of real work per day. This seems doable to me. How hard could it possibly be to find enough work as a solo to make a living? You don't need to bill 2,500 hours. One could make due with as little as 800 hrs or even less. Maybe I am just an ignorant 0L.

I think it would be all about finding a good niche in a good location. For me, those niches would be immigration (completely fluent in Spanish) and construction law (significant background in this area). I might be a solo one day.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:no professional job is lazy. Think about it, being a successful lawyer, doctor, accountant, consultant, banker, etc all means a lot of hard work.

One could become lazy if the douche bags in D.C. would make professional work subject to OT regulations. I will never understand why I as a super educated professional should be forced to work 60+ hours and not truly and really get compensated for all of those extra hours, while blue collar people in some fields make bank due to all of the paid overtime. This has always been mind boggling to me. Politicians NEVER bring this up nor is it debated in a serious manner.
Last edited by bizzybone1313 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

philly_law

New

Post by philly_law » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:02 pm

Actually, gun for law professor. I can't think of a field that pays so much for so little work. They "teach" a class or two, and write some esoteric articles where their RAs and the staff of the Law Review does all the work.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:07 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:

One could become lazy if the douche bags in D.C. would make professional work subject to OT regulations. I will never understand why I as a super educated professional should be forced to work 60+ hours and not truly and really get compensated for all of those extra hours, while blue collar people in some fields make bank due to all of the paid overtime. This has always been mind boggling to me. Politicians NEVER bring this up nor is it debated in a serious manner.
Because OT regulation is closely tied with minimum wage discussions, they're designed to prevent the exploitation of the bottom classes, not to ensure the upper middle class has a comfy lifestyle. I'm not saying it's right, just explaining why I think it's not up for discussion.

ArchieHicox

Bronze

Post by ArchieHicox » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:10 pm

Kind of a semi-related question but what is compensation like for solo practitioners that just handle family law type situations... divorce, child custody, etc. I honestly love reading and learning about situations like that, but my impression has always been that compensation is just shit. Could a guy doing just divorces make a comfortable living, assuming they are working hard, marketing, connecting etc?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:11 pm

I don't know... I've had to spend quite some time in traffic court dealing with various crap. The lawyers I see in that place look uniformly mi.se.ra.ble. Seriously, they are some of the most miserable human being I've ever seen. They just look sad and beaten down by life. Even their clients seemed happier.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:15 pm

ha-ri wrote:Kind of a semi-related question but what is compensation like for solo practitioners that just handle family law type situations... divorce, child custody, etc. I honestly love reading and learning about situations like that, but my impression has always been that compensation is just shit. Could a guy doing just divorces make a comfortable living, assuming they are working hard, marketing, connecting etc?
Really sky's the limit if you're good at it and are good at marketing

It's a crowded area and being in a small firm is a lot about clients who will actually pay you

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:19 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:

Because OT regulation is closely tied with minimum wage discussions, they're designed to prevent the exploitation of the bottom classes, not to ensure the upper middle class has a comfy lifestyle. I'm not saying it's right, just explaining why I think it's not up for discussion.
About a year ago, I traveled for a consulting gig in Norway. At 6:00 pm, my boss and I were still chugging away, while the local engineers and other professionals were long gone. Over there, they work 37.5 hour weeks. Maybe one day professionals won't continue to get exploited in the United States.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:22 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:34 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:

About a year ago, I traveled for a consulting gig in Norway. At 6:00 pm, my boss and I were still chugging away, while the local engineers and other professionals were long gone. Over there, they work 37.5 hour weeks. Maybe one day professionals won't continue to get exploited in the United States.
6 figures is generally unheard of in europe for recent graduates. On the other hand school is not even expensive.
As to OP, try marrying rich.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:44 pm

In Biglaw? The answer to that is tax.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:52 pm

Lazy lawyers are almost universally poor.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:00 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:In Biglaw? The answer to that is tax.
You're probably still gonna have to write memoranda about how to structure the transaction so you can get IRC 368(a)(1)(B) treatment and other such stuff

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:29 pm

Do tax attorneys at big law firms really not work a lot of hours?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wyler1085

New

Post by wyler1085 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:44 am

This is hilarious. Really enjoying these responses.

ragelion

Gold

Post by ragelion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:24 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:Lazy lawyers are almost universally poor.
All lawyers are lazy.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:26 am

0Ls should get the fuck out of this thread and stop giving advice in the legal employment forum.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:29 am

Depending what $$$$ means the answer is non prestigious fed gov.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”