Texas vs W&M Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Texas vs W&M

Texas
38%
W&M
62%

Total votes: 26

ironbmike

Bronze

Texas vs W&M

Post by ironbmike » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:39 am

I've posted this before, but numbers have updated. I'm from the DC area and have a solid networking at a couple law firms here. Nothing major, but it would definitely help to find a job. Texas and W&M are my two best options. GWU, GMU too expensive, rejected from Georgetown, waitlisted at UVA.

I'm not dead-set on working in either DC or Texas but I do feel like it would be squandering my connections here if I left.

Texas total COA: $124K
W&M total COA: $72K

Total in debt at repayment:
Texas: $153,680
W&M: $89,475

ironbmike

Bronze

Re: Texas vs W&M

Post by ironbmike » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:06 am

Two for Texas? Please explain if you vote, I am not going to choose based on a blind numbers poll :mrgreen:

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:12 am

ironbmike wrote:I've posted this before, but numbers have updated. I'm from the DC area and have a solid networking at a couple law firms here. Nothing major, but it would definitely help to find a job. Texas and W&M are my two best options. GWU, GMU too expensive, rejected from Georgetown, waitlisted at UVA.

I'm not dead-set on working in either DC or Texas but I do feel like it would be squandering my connections here if I left.

Texas total COA: $124K
W&M total COA: $72K

Total in debt at repayment:
Texas: $153,680
W&M: $89,475
Both look pretty pricy. I think that's just too much for Texas and without ties and a desire to work in TX I wouldn't go there. I guess W&M of these two?

But the correct answer is probably retake.

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:18 am

Probably neither, duder. Too expensive.

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:22 am

I probably wouldn't go to Texas at the price if you're not deadest on practicing in Texas. I'd probably go with William & Mary, granted I know literally nothing about W&M. But COA isn't bad at all and you have connections in the area.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:29 am

I'm pretty debt averse, but i don't think W&M is that unreasonable at that price.

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:35 am

Also depends on which school lets you carry your gun around.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:40 am

deadpanic wrote:I'm pretty debt averse, but i don't think W&M is that unreasonable at that price.
Yeah maybe. Only 50 something percent are employed as lawyers not in school funded jobs. But most law schools are a risk I guess, if you really want to go that's the better option. But most likely your best course is to retake (didn't do much digging to find OPs numbers).

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:42 am

BigZuck wrote:
deadpanic wrote:I'm pretty debt averse, but i don't think W&M is that unreasonable at that price.
Yeah maybe. Only 50 something percent are employed as lawyers not in school funded jobs. But most law schools are a risk I guess, if you really want to go that's the better option. But most likely your best course is to retake (didn't do much digging to find OPs numbers).
W&M is around 57% for their employment numbers. Not great by any means (and worse than Texas), but with connections in this area I would feel pretty confident.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:47 am

ironbmike wrote: W&M is around 57% for their employment numbers. Not great by any means (and worse than Texas), but with connections in this area I would feel pretty confident.
In all seriousness it depends on how strong these connections are. How sure are you that you can pull a job out of them?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:50 am

Ghost93 wrote:
ironbmike wrote: W&M is around 57% for their employment numbers. Not great by any means (and worse than Texas), but with connections in this area I would feel pretty confident.
In all seriousness it depends on how strong these connections are. How sure are you that you can pull a job out of them?
If those connections are to a job that would pay 50-60K I would be really hesitant to pay 90K to get that job. But I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world.

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:53 am

Ghost93 wrote:
Fairly strong. Worked in two law firms here as a paralegal so I have ties with attorneys. If I really needed to I think I could pull a job out of them, but I don't want to base my career on that. Things can definitely change in three years when it comes to knowing people.

You made me :lol: btw

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:53 am

BigZuck wrote:
Ghost93 wrote:
If those connections are to a job that would pay 50-60K I would be really hesitant to pay 90K to get that job. But I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Right, it's more of a fallback than a first option.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:02 am

Yeah basically this.

Though if you got a job and can retake, that wouldn't be a bad idea.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:04 am

Ghost93 wrote:Also depends on which school lets you carry your gun around.
This is why I'm staying in NY. The amount of money (unconstitutionally prohibitive, exorbitant fees) and effort that went into my CCW here is not worth leaving.

But on a serious note.. I could not rightly vote for either as neither is attractive. From the list of schools you applied to, and your desire to stay in DC, it seems you really wanted Georgetown. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you are 'settling'.

What were your numbers? Do you have the ability to work and reapply?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:09 am

What do you want to be doing after graduation?

If you don't mind ending up in TX, choose UT. UT's employment numbers are significantly better than W&M--at W&M, the chances of getting biglaw are pretty slim.
ironbmike wrote:
Ghost93 wrote:
Fairly strong. Worked in two law firms here as a paralegal so I have ties with attorneys. If I really needed to I think I could pull a job out of them, but I don't want to base my career on that. Things can definitely change in three years when it comes to knowing people.

Where those bigger firms or smaller ones? If bigger ones that do OCI at schools, I would be cautious about thinking that your connections could land you a job. Your connections might help if you are above their cut-offs, but if you don't have the GPA, those firms might be out of reach, regardless of whether you are on good terms with people there.

ETA: Just recognized your name from threads in the lounge. You should definitely go to W&M or retake.

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:14 am

Tekrul wrote:
Ghost93 wrote:Also depends on which school lets you carry your gun around.
This is why I'm staying in NY. The amount of money (unconstitutionally prohibitive, exorbitant fees) and effort that went into my CCW here is not worth leaving.

But on a serious note.. I could not rightly vote for either as neither is attractive. From the list of schools you applied to, and your desire to stay in DC, it seems you really wanted Georgetown. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you are 'settling'.

What were your numbers? Do you have the ability to work and reapply?
I wouldn't call it a desire to stay in DC, more of a practical advantage having worked here. Texas is the "best" school I've gotten into. Still waiting to hear from Cornell, Vandy, and Duke. LIS waitlisted at UVA and rejected from Georgetown. Georgetown wasn't really my top choice anymore than the other T-14, although UVA was my #1. Retaking is not an option (already taken it three times, I've maxed out).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:16 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:What do you want to be doing after graduation?

If you don't mind ending up in TX, choose UT. UT's employment numbers are significantly better than W&M--at W&M, the chances of getting biglaw are pretty slim.
ironbmike wrote:
Ghost93 wrote:

Where those bigger firms or smaller ones? If bigger ones that do OCI at schools, I would be cautious about thinking that your connections could land you a job. Your connections might help if you are above their cut-offs, but if you don't have the GPA, those firms might be out of reach, regardless of whether you are on good terms with people there.

ETA: Just recognized your name from threads in the lounge. You should definitely go to W&M or retake.
Lounge threads = knocking Texas out of contention? :lol:

But yeah they're small firms.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:23 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:What do you want to be doing after graduation?

ironbmike wrote:
Ghost93 wrote:

Go on...

Also Richie don't you think it's really risky for someone to go to UT and pursue TX big law without TX ties? Big law from UT is still an unlikely outcome even if its more likely than out of W&M. And 150K neccesitates big law.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:25 am

Ah, I see I misunderstood you. It just seemed with such a heavy spread of apps to DC schools, and UVA just across the border, that's where you wanted to be.

I'd say Texas is just far outside your mentality right now. There is a trend in the rest of your school choices, DC centric or east coast at least and Texas is an outlier. You didn't send apps to a spread based on rank but by geography.

Again I'm guessing but I think not only do you have ties at a job in this area but you want to live and work on the East Coast close to where you are now.

W&M seems to be a better 'fit'. And no big moving changes will occur when you hear back from the rest of the schools and get updates on the wait list. You'd move a few states instead of half a nation.

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:26 am

Tekrul wrote:Ah, I see I misunderstood you. It just seemed with such a heavy spread of apps to DC schools, and UVA just across the border, that's where you wanted to be.

I'd say Texas is just far outside your mentality right now. There is a trend in the rest of your school choices, DC centric or east coast at least and Texas is an outlier. You didn't send apps to a spread based on rank but by geography.

Again I'm guessing but I think not only do you have ties at a job in this area but you want to live and work on the East Coast close to where you are now.

W&M seems to be a better 'fit'. And no big moving changes will occur when you hear back from the rest of the schools and get updates on the wait list. You'd move a few states instead of half a nation.
Well that's sort of right. Obviously I applied for all the local schools but I also applied to Cornell, Vandy, Duke, UNC, Arizona, Notre Dame, Georgia, Alabama, Kentucky, BC. So Texas isn't really an outlier in that regard.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:27 am

I think of these two, W&M wins, but retaking would be the better option. How many times have you taken the LSAT and how hard did you study? (be honest with yourself)

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:28 am

romothesavior wrote:I think of these two, W&M wins, but retaking would be the better option. How many times have you taken the LSAT and how hard did you study? (be honest with yourself)
Taken three times, did all the prep I could for my highest score. Not retaking.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:31 am

ironbmike wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I think of these two, W&M wins, but retaking would be the better option. How many times have you taken the LSAT and how hard did you study? (be honest with yourself)
Taken three times, did all the prep I could for my highest score. Not retaking.
Gotcha. Then I'd take W&M at ~90k with DC ties over 150k+ for UT with no Texas ties.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:39 am

It seems you want a fair argument for Texas because your gut went for w&m and you want to make sure good consideration goes into both. All things considered I still say w&m and wait for the rest of the schools+WL

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”