Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Jambalaya

New

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by Jambalaya » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:41 am

I know someone asked this before, but it hasn't been answered. Does anyone have any insights about the following professors? Do you know whether they allow students to use laptops during lectures?

1) Legislation and Regulation with Mark Tushnet
2) Contracts with Todd Rakoff
3) Torts with Richard Lazarus
4) Civil Procedure with Thomas Lee (Visiting Professor)

hopper123

New

Post by hopper123 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:46 am

fatduck wrote:
ph14 wrote:
JDflowergirl wrote:Good luck to all the people doing EIP this week. I'm sure you will all do great :D. You've got this 8)
I'm worried about melting on my walk to the hotel in my suit :lol:.
i'm commuting from brookline. kill me now.
Why would you want to live in brookline while a student at HLS?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:24 am

hopper123 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
ph14 wrote:
JDflowergirl wrote:Good luck to all the people doing EIP this week. I'm sure you will all do great :D. You've got this 8)
I'm worried about melting on my walk to the hotel in my suit :lol:.
i'm commuting from brookline. kill me now.
It's

hopper123

New

Post by hopper123 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:17 am

fatduck wrote:
hopper123 wrote:
fatduck wrote: i'm commuting from brookline. kill me now.
It's
Bad idea genes, fatduck. This is def a bad idea genes.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:24 pm

hopper123 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
hopper123 wrote:
fatduck wrote: i'm commuting from brookline. kill me now.
It's
Bad idea genes, fatduck. This is def a bad idea genes.
lol I just noticed this. My phone randomly eats words. I said it's temporary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:22 am

Luchando wrote:Thoughts on the following profs for Section 6?

Civil Procedure- Jack Goldsmith
Contracts- Adam Levitin (visiting from Georgetown)
Torts- Jon Hanson
Legislation and Regulation- Susan Davies

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:30 am

BlakcMajikc wrote:

Torts- Jon Hanson

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:15 am

So I've just read the "Anonymous Lawyer" (book) and read through the authors blog. How much of it should I believe it reflects the life of an actual Biglaw lawyer?

iThwl

New

Post by iThwl » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:59 am

Jambalaya wrote:I know someone asked this before, but it hasn't been answered. Does anyone have any insights about the following professors? Do you know whether they allow students to use laptops during lectures?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:35 pm

iThwl wrote:
Jambalaya wrote:I know someone asked this before, but it hasn't been answered. Does anyone have any insights about the following professors? Do you know whether they allow students to use laptops during lectures?

as a related noted, anybody know what books we need for tushnet? he isnt on the coop website yet

lastMinuteGuy

New

Post by lastMinuteGuy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:59 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
iThwl wrote:

as a related noted, anybody know what books we need for tushnet? he isnt on the coop website yet
Last year Tushnet used his own book that I could only find at the coop, but looks like amazon has a few in stock now. Would guess he'll probably use the same one again.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Regulatory-Ad ... 0195189310

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:27 pm

just a quick question, we need to get a bluebook (19th edition) right? for LRW? any other books needed for LRW?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:28 pm

thederangedwang wrote:just a quick question, we need to get a bluebook (19th edition) right? for LRW? any other books needed for LRW?
Yes, and most likely not, but as always, depends on the instructor.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iThwl

New

Post by iThwl » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:45 am

lastMinuteGuy wrote:
fatduck wrote:
lastMinuteGuy wrote: If anyone's interested in local sourced food options (farm shares, co-ops, farmer's markets, etc.), I can also put up some information on those.
yes please
Realized I never came back to reply. Depends some on which neighborhood you live in, but I've listed some options below that I use a lot. If you have a car it really opens it up and gives you some more options:

Farmers' Markets (Pretty much one almost every day of the week not too far away, running from Memorial Day - November)
- Monday - Central Sq, not far from the T stop
- Tuesday - Harvard has one right next to the HLS campus in the afternoon
- Wednesday - Davis Sq, right next to the T stop
- Saturday - Nice farmers' market in Union Sq in Somerville, usually with a live band and some other stuff going on
- Sunday - One in Harvard Sq near the Charles Hotel

Farm Shares/CSA
My girlfriend and I get a small share from Enterprise farm and haven't really had any complaints. Lots of pickup locations around (including one about 3 blocks from the law school) and decent rotation of stuff each week. They also do an East Coast winter farm share that gets you a lot of fresh produce from Florida, Georgia, etc. throughout the winter and spring. Another one I've heard good things about is Boston Organics. Little more expensive, but they do home delivery. There are a number of other ones in the area, so with some searching and yelp reviews you can probably find some other good ones.

Local Stores
- Savenors - Really good local butcher not too far from the law school, also carries local produce and cheeses. Kind of expensive, but the meat is high quality and delicious.
- Harvest Co-op - Fully co-op grocery store in Central Sq if you're looking for a local alternative. Not the best produce, but good selection of bulk items and all the standard grocery staples.
- Dave's Fresh Pasta - Near Davis Sq, makes really good fresh pasta and sauces in the store and carries a selection of local produce and dairy, as well as gourmet cheeses and meats. Good wine and beer selection too.

There's always Whole Foods too, and there are 3 in Cambridge and another one right over the line in Medford that are close. The only one really accessible from the T though is in Central Sq, I'd recommend a car for the other 3.
thanks

maxpower430

Bronze

Post by maxpower430 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:18 am

iThwl wrote:
lastMinuteGuy wrote:
fatduck wrote:
lastMinuteGuy wrote: If anyone's interested in local sourced food options (farm shares, co-ops, farmer's markets, etc.), I can also put up some information on those.
yes please
Realized I never came back to reply. Depends some on which neighborhood you live in, but I've listed some options below that I use a lot. If you have a car it really opens it up and gives you some more options:

Farmers' Markets (Pretty much one almost every day of the week not too far away, running from Memorial Day - November)
- Monday - Central Sq, not far from the T stop
- Tuesday - Harvard has one right next to the HLS campus in the afternoon
- Wednesday - Davis Sq, right next to the T stop
- Saturday - Nice farmers' market in Union Sq in Somerville, usually with a live band and some other stuff going on
- Sunday - One in Harvard Sq near the Charles Hotel

Farm Shares/CSA
My girlfriend and I get a small share from Enterprise farm and haven't really had any complaints. Lots of pickup locations around (including one about 3 blocks from the law school) and decent rotation of stuff each week. They also do an East Coast winter farm share that gets you a lot of fresh produce from Florida, Georgia, etc. throughout the winter and spring. Another one I've heard good things about is Boston Organics. Little more expensive, but they do home delivery. There are a number of other ones in the area, so with some searching and yelp reviews you can probably find some other good ones.

Local Stores
- Savenors - Really good local butcher not too far from the law school, also carries local produce and cheeses. Kind of expensive, but the meat is high quality and delicious.
- Harvest Co-op - Fully co-op grocery store in Central Sq if you're looking for a local alternative. Not the best produce, but good selection of bulk items and all the standard grocery staples.
- Dave's Fresh Pasta - Near Davis Sq, makes really good fresh pasta and sauces in the store and carries a selection of local produce and dairy, as well as gourmet cheeses and meats. Good wine and beer selection too.

There's always Whole Foods too, and there are 3 in Cambridge and another one right over the line in Medford that are close. The only one really accessible from the T though is in Central Sq, I'd recommend a car for the other 3.
thanks
+1

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:31 pm

So I'm only planning on buying my textbooks after September 5th, seeing as thats when my loan money comes in. I'm assuming this should be fine considering I'll only go one day of class without my textbooks, but I just want to make sure I'm not screwing myself over. Does anyone see any issues with this plan?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:40 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:So I'm only planning on buying my textbooks after September 5th, seeing as thats when my loan money comes in. I'm assuming this should be fine considering I'll only go one day of class without my textbooks, but I just want to make sure I'm not screwing myself over. Does anyone see any issues with this plan?
That's fine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MapsMapsMaps

New

Post by MapsMapsMaps » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:20 pm

x
Last edited by MapsMapsMaps on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

yepyepyep

Bronze

Post by yepyepyep » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:04 pm

Any thoughts on Donahue for Property?

PriOSky

New

Post by PriOSky » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:26 am

Last edited by PriOSky on Thu May 23, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lessthanjake

New

Post by lessthanjake » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:54 pm

I notice that the Coop allows us to rent books. I know I could buy books and sell them later, but that's a bit of a hassle, and renting them would save about 300 dollars upfront. Is there any significant reason not to do this? I do not write in textbooks, so not being able to do that isn't a concern for me. I guess I'm just wondering if there's much benefit in having your books after the class is over.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:56 pm

lessthanjake wrote:I notice that the Coop allows us to rent books. I know I could buy books and sell them later, but that's a bit of a hassle, and renting them would save about 300 dollars upfront. Is there any significant reason not to do this? I do not write in textbooks, so not being able to do that isn't a concern for me. I guess I'm just wondering if there's much benefit in having your books after the class is over.
No. I used it, and it's great. And I highlighted a fair amount in my casebook that I rented (although I didn't write much). There's no significant benefit in having your books after the class is offer.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:12 pm

ph14 wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:I notice that the Coop allows us to rent books. I know I could buy books and sell them later, but that's a bit of a hassle, and renting them would save about 300 dollars upfront. Is there any significant reason not to do this? I do not write in textbooks, so not being able to do that isn't a concern for me. I guess I'm just wondering if there's much benefit in having your books after the class is over.
No. I used it, and it's great. And I highlighted a fair amount in my casebook that I rented (although I didn't write much). There's no significant benefit in having your books after the class is offer.
Somebody has EIP on the mind :).

ignatiusr

New

Post by ignatiusr » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:31 pm

PriOSky wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:

Torts- Jon Hanson
Any thoughts on these professors through PM would be much appreciated.
I'd also appreciate any insights about these professors

Now

New

Post by Now » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:38 pm

Hey! I need to apply for my cash advance and I am having trouble logging into helios (https://helios.law.harvard.edu/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f). When I tried to log into Helios, I got the response: "There was an error. Please contact the help desk." I just returned from travel overseas and am panicking because I cannot seem to remember the correct username and password. Is there any way I can retrieve my helios username or apply for a new username? Thank you so much!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”