Bay Area Diversity Fair 2012 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lisavj

Bronze

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2012

Post by lisavj » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:24 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:question for you guys -

i got a lottery interview with hanson bridgett, which is a firm id love to work at. through networking, i actually managed to set up a lunch meeting with a partner from the firm who went to my school (hastings) buuut i originally was planning for hastings OCI, and the dates he gave me to meet were july 30/31. Thus it's before hastings OCI, but right after the bay area diversity career fair interview.

so couple of questions questions: 1) should i mention to him in an email that i got an interview with his firm through the badf? 2) if not, should i mention in the interview that im meeting with a partner from their firm for lunch right after the interview? and then when i meet him, mention i just interviewed with his firm?

thanks guys
I would definitely mention it to him, in the tone of "I thought you might like to know, I was selected for an interview with HB at BADCF and I'm really excited! I'm really looking forward to our meeting but in the meantime any advice you might be willing to provide before my interview would be appreciated blah blah blah." Keep the tone as one of sharing good news. If he thinks of something he can do to help, it will happen. Just my two cents.
+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:32 pm

thanks for the tip! will do. let's hope for the best... <crosses fingers>

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:07 pm

Do we know when names of interviewers are coming out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:08 pm

If we update our resumes, will that go to the employers, or do we just bring fresh copies to the interviews?

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:19 pm

Outta curiosity--is anybody planning to use OCI bids on firms with whom you landed a BADCF screener? Currently trying to figure out my OCI bidlist and can't decide whether they would be wasted bids. Given the info from last year (~50 offers total), it seems like firms take barely anybody out of BADF compared with my school's OCI. Then again, it'd be kinda awkward to interview with the same person a couple weeks down the line.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Evaly

New

Post by Evaly » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If we update our resumes, will that go to the employers, or do we just bring fresh copies to the interviews?
They might see it through symplicity but you should definitely bring fresh copies to the interview just in case.

Evaly

New

Post by Evaly » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:34 pm

DreamShake wrote:Outta curiosity--is anybody planning to use OCI bids on firms with whom you landed a BADCF screener? Currently trying to figure out my OCI bidlist and can't decide whether they would be wasted bids. Given the info from last year (~50 offers total), it seems like firms take barely anybody out of BADF compared with my school's OCI. Then again, it'd be kinda awkward to interview with the same person a couple weeks down the line.
I thought many firms will not allow you to interview multiple times. So if you are interviewing at BADCF you won't be able to interview again at OCI. But if you only bid on them at BADCF and didn't get an interview then you can bid / interview with them at OCI. Some firms are ok with multiple interviews but if you didn't click with the guy the first time what are the chances of clicking with him 2 weeks later?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:38 pm

DreamShake wrote:Outta curiosity--is anybody planning to use OCI bids on firms with whom you landed a BADCF screener? Currently trying to figure out my OCI bidlist and can't decide whether they would be wasted bids. Given the info from last year (~50 offers total), it seems like firms take barely anybody out of BADF compared with my school's OCI. Then again, it'd be kinda awkward to interview with the same person a couple weeks down the line.
I emailed the recruiters from the firms I got preselects with to ask if I should bid on them for OCI too, and they universally said no.

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:45 pm

Evaly wrote:
I thought many firms will not allow you to interview multiple times. So if you are interviewing at BADCF you won't be able to interview again at OCI. But if you only bid on them at BADCF and didn't get an interview then you can bid / interview with them at OCI. Some firms are ok with multiple interviews but if you didn't click with the guy the first time what are the chances of clicking with him 2 weeks later?
I figured there's a pretty high likelihood of the interviewer not being the same person, but I didn't know that firms had such a rule (I guess it's on NALP??). If that's the case, I suppose there's not much point in re-bidding.

Anonymous User wrote:
I emailed the recruiters from the firms I got preselects with to ask if I should bid on them for OCI too, and they universally said no.
Thank you sir!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

newbie2

New

Post by newbie2 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Can you not bid on a different office/market of the same firms?

Evaly

New

Post by Evaly » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:05 am

newbie2 wrote:
I wonder about that too. I suppose for firms that interview nation wide and not office by office you only have 1 shot. But if they are interviewing as separate offices and you are not doing two offices that are close together (e.g. SF and SV) but rather SF and NY you might be able to interview twice. Depending on the firm's internal coordination they might know you've interviewed in the Bay Area so there will be more questions regarding your commitment to the other geography.

Anyone else have past experience with this issue?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:07 pm

is any 2L still waiting on kilpatrick, pilsbury, and nossaman? anyone have a schedule interview with any of these firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is any 2L still waiting on kilpatrick, pilsbury, and nossaman? anyone have a schedule interview with any of these firms?
I just got an email from BADCF telling me Pilsbury made their selection and I have been given a preselect. It now shows up on my schedule.

FWIW, someone posted earlier about the 10 interview limit; I can confirm that is the truth. BADCF told me I have to decline another preselect in order to accept the Pilsbury preselect.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:09 pm

Evaly wrote:
newbie2 wrote:
I wonder about that too. I suppose for firms that interview nation wide and not office by office you only have 1 shot. But if they are interviewing as separate offices and you are not doing two offices that are close together (e.g. SF and SV) but rather SF and NY you might be able to interview twice. Depending on the firm's internal coordination they might know you've interviewed in the Bay Area so there will be more questions regarding your commitment to the other geography.

Anyone else have past experience with this issue?
Some of the firms I've been in touch with about that have told me that I am okay to bid their NY office at my school's OCI. I think it's worth checking about their multiple office application policy, just in case. Definitely phrase it as more of a "concern about making more work for recruiters/compliance with firm policy" thing than "do I need to waste a bid?".

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:04 pm

Anyone get an email from Foley today regarding applying to their program? I bid on them, did not get a pre-select, and then got an email today asking me to self-identify my race and then apply to their 2L program online. Don't know what to make of it.

:?:

Evaly

New

Post by Evaly » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do we know when names of interviewers are coming out?
FYI, the interviewer names are out for some of the firms. I saw names for one of my preselects

RIPmitchhedberg

New

Post by RIPmitchhedberg » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:52 pm

Does anyone know what they're going to do to fill the remaining spots?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:54 pm

They're out I think. Just got another interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They're out I think. Just got another interview.
At least some of them are. I just got my one alternate. Did anyone bid Nossaman? I don't think they've even submitted their preselects yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
At least some of them are. I just got my one alternate. Did anyone bid Nossaman? I don't think they've even submitted their preselects yet.
Wow...didn't get one alternate it seems. I don't know how that many people were that much faster than me in accepting the alts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Wow...didn't get one alternate it seems. I don't know how that many people were that much faster than me in accepting the alts.
I'm not sure if I was the only alternate they chose but I accepted about 10 hours after the process opened and got the slot. Arnold & Porter btw.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RIPmitchhedberg

New

Post by RIPmitchhedberg » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:42 pm

Well I watched the seconds count down to midnight and clicked the button right away, and someone still beat me to Sedgwick.

It still looks like a few firms have 1 or 2 spots open. Anyone know how those are filled?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Happy to report that I got another interview from alt. Do we have to register on the day of or anything like that since I am looking at flight and may not get into SF until early that morning?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Happy to report that I got another interview from alt. Do we have to register on the day of or anything like that since I am looking at flight and may not get into SF until early that morning?
One of the alternate interviews that was on my schedule disappeared. Does anybody know why that would happen?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Happy to report that I got another interview from alt. Do we have to register on the day of or anything like that since I am looking at flight and may not get into SF until early that morning?
One of the alternate interviews that was on my schedule disappeared. Does anybody know why that would happen?
not sure since the email says that we don't have to do anything if an alt becomes an interview.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”