"What type of lawyer do you want to be?" :/ Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
WalkingPlato

Bronze

"What type of lawyer do you want to be?" :/

Post by WalkingPlato » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:35 pm

I know this is going to sound slow of me, but when I think of a lawyer, I think of someone who just practices law. If someone comes to them with a case, they can take it and represent the person. Sure, there are some that have specific specialties, like patent or corporate lawyers (mostly contracts and such), but is it sane to want to just do civil rights/constitutional type cases primarily and secondarily do criminal (not as big as murder but criminal nonetheless)? But that seems so general to the point that any lawyer does that... right? What would that lawyer be called - a civil rights/constitutional lawyer? In other words, say I want to do that (con law/crim law), what would I be "specializing" in law school?

lewis&clarkLawGuy

New

Re: "What type of lawyer do you want to be?" :/

Post by lewis&clarkLawGuy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:49 am

WalkingPlato wrote:I know this is going to sound slow of me, but when I think of a lawyer, I think of someone who just practices law. If someone comes to them with a case, they can take it and represent the person. Sure, there are some that have specific specialties, like patent or corporate lawyers (mostly contracts and such), but is it sane to want to just do civil rights/constitutional type cases primarily and secondarily do criminal (not as big as murder but criminal nonetheless)? But that seems so general to the point that any lawyer does that... right? What would that lawyer be called - a civil rights/constitutional lawyer? In other words, say I want to do that (con law/crim law), what would I be "specializing" in law school?
You don't have to specialize in anything. Are you thinking of being a solo? Perhaps a "trial lawyer."

WalkingPlato

Bronze

Post by WalkingPlato » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:46 pm

lewis&clarkLawGuy wrote:
WalkingPlato wrote:I know this is going to sound slow of me, but when I think of a lawyer, I think of someone who just practices law. If someone comes to them with a case, they can take it and represent the person. Sure, there are some that have specific specialties, like patent or corporate lawyers (mostly contracts and such), but is it sane to want to just do civil rights/constitutional type cases primarily and secondarily do criminal (not as big as murder but criminal nonetheless)? But that seems so general to the point that any lawyer does that... right? What would that lawyer be called - a civil rights/constitutional lawyer? In other words, say I want to do that (con law/crim law), what would I be "specializing" in law school?
You don't have to specialize in anything. Are you thinking of being a solo? Perhaps a "trial lawyer."
I was thinking of working in a firm but doing civil rights type work and criminal cases - so a bit in both worlds. But, when I told some lawyers this, they said, "well, every lawyer does that. That's not really a specialization." But in some schools it says you can specialize in civil rights and criminal law.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:05 pm

I think the words to use are "plaintiff's side civil litigation [as opposed to defense litigation], specializing in civil rights, with some pro bono criminal defense." That's specific enough that you can start a conversation with someone, anyway, and I think it's what you're talking about.

At minimum, you've established that you want to be a litigator, rather than, say, a transactional lawyer or something. You also don't want to be, e.g., a government prosecutor. So you start by looking at litigation departments at firms and seeing what they have that's similar to what you want to do. Granted, it's still a pretty wide field, but whoever told you that "everyone does that" either misunderstood you or is stupid.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:11 pm

I wanna be a TV lawyer. And each case is solved perfectly within 45 minutes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:21 pm

I think saying "a good one" can actually be a kind of witty and appropriate response to this questions in certain situations; in law school I think most ppl really don't know what exactly they will end up liking or practicing eventually. But maybe following up such comment with, "actually, I've been thinking about maybe...." could be a good idea.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:23 pm

ben4847 wrote:I wanna be a TV lawyer.
This is what I got too

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:21 pm

WalkingPlato wrote: But in some schools it says you can specialize in civil rights and criminal law.
Don't worry about what the schools say or offer as specializations, it's generally meaningless.

Also, the best answer to this question is employed.

WalkingPlato

Bronze

Post by WalkingPlato » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:36 pm

tomwatts wrote:I think the words to use are "plaintiff's side civil litigation [as opposed to defense litigation], specializing in civil rights, with some pro bono criminal defense." That's specific enough that you can start a conversation with someone, anyway, and I think it's what you're talking about.

At minimum, you've established that you want to be a litigator, rather than, say, a transactional lawyer or something. You also don't want to be, e.g., a government prosecutor. So you start by looking at litigation departments at firms and seeing what they have that's similar to what you want to do. Granted, it's still a pretty wide field, but whoever told you that "everyone does that" either misunderstood you or is stupid.
That sounds like what I was looking for. I was thinking civil litigator but those usually apply laws tospecific situations. But, I also wanted to argue constitutionality of laws, like the work in the ACLU, but also do criminal cases.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lederhosen

New

Post by lederhosen » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 am

Last edited by lederhosen on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:44 am

lederhosen wrote:
ben4847 wrote:I wanna be a TV lawyer. And each case is solved perfectly within 45 minutes.
I wanna be like Harvey Specter (Suits), pro athletes/celebs on speed dial, alpha as fuark, models & bottles, always right, always win.
It would also be awesome to always only have one case/deal at a time and have them all go to trial/close within a couple of days

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:46 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
lederhosen wrote:
ben4847 wrote:I wanna be a TV lawyer. And each case is solved perfectly within 45 minutes.
I wanna be like Harvey Specter (Suits), pro athletes/celebs on speed dial, alpha as fuark, models & bottles, always right, always win.
It would also be awesome to always only have one case/deal at a time and have them all go to trial/close within a couple of days
I'm still trying to figure out whether harvey does corporate or lit. One episode he's doing mergers and then the next time he's in court

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:59 pm

ben4847 wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
lederhosen wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out whether harvey does corporate or lit. One episode he's doing mergers and then the next time he's in court
Don't forget he used to prosecute too. And also dabbles in criminal defense.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”