Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tc2010

New

Re: Ohio State Applicants (2011-12) Cycle

Post by tc2010 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:55 pm

Has anyone been able to log in to th Admitted Students page? Did you receive login username via email?

nikenike23

New

Post by nikenike23 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:44 pm

also wondering about how to login

another thing..does anyone have any experience negotiating scholarships with moritz? are they open to that?

thanks

somewherewarm

New

Post by somewherewarm » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:34 pm

nikenike23 wrote:also wondering about how to login

another thing..does anyone have any experience negotiating scholarships with moritz? are they open to that?

thanks
For the admitted students page, the school will send you an email with the username and password. They'll also do that for your Buckeyelink which will allow you to view your financial aid. If you're still waiting to receive those emails I'd call the admissions department and they should be able to help, I had to do that for my Buckeyelink username/password. As far as scholarship negotiation, it's possible but it's difficult and it would help immensely if you had other, better, offers from higher ranked schools.

Duke Silver

New

Post by Duke Silver » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:35 pm

somewherewarm wrote:

thanks
For the admitted students page, the school will send you an email with the username and password. They'll also do that for your Buckeyelink which will allow you to view your financial aid. If you're still waiting to receive those emails I'd call the admissions department and they should be able to help, I had to do that for my Buckeyelink username/password. As far as scholarship negotiation, it's possible but it's difficult and it would help immensely if you had other, better, offers from higher ranked schools.
Don't know what's happened this year, but last year I had a 10k better offer from a school ranked 10+ spots higher, and they wouldn't negotiate at all. They've been super anti-negotiation last year and in past years. Unless they've specifically stated differently this year, I would not count on it at all.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:15 pm

Duke Silver wrote:
somewherewarm wrote:

thanks
Don't know what's happened this year, but last year I had a 10k20k better offer from a school ranked 10+ spots higher, and they wouldn't negotiate at all. They've been super anti-negotiation last year and in past years. Unless they've specifically stated differently this year, I would not count on it at all.
Worth a shot, but I don't know anyone who has successfully negotiated for more aid from tOSU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UDFlyers90

New

Post by UDFlyers90 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:44 pm

I successfully negotiated with osu and received a significant scholarship increase, personal message me for details. Just to give a little insight however I am a massive splitter with a 99 percentile LSAT and am only considering osu because I am from the state I think this significantly factored into my ability to negotiate

JVanHo

New

Post by JVanHo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:40 pm

Accepted today! Can't wait to pay my seat deposit, but I guess I'll wait for the scholarship information :D

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:08 pm

I have heard nothing. Is this bad news....?

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:42 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:I have heard nothing. Is this bad news....?

I think, but am by no means certain, OSU uses a kind of de facto rather than de jure waitlisting technique. I think they are waiting to see who enrolls before admitting any other candidates who are on the fence. So I guess it is more good than bad news, since it means you are at least on the fence.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:11 pm

The fence is good, but it would be nice to fall into their yard rather than the street.

I mean, how much longer can they play this game? (Please don't say, "Till August.")

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:22 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:The fence is good, but it would be nice to fall into their yard rather than the street.

I mean, how much longer can they play this game? (Please don't say, "Till August.")
Sorry...but til August :( A friend in my class was admitted off the wait list the week of orientation. If you've literally heard nothing at all from them - have you called? It might be worth a call :)

jocelyn

New

Post by jocelyn » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:37 pm

Got the email back in March, in with a scholarship now just looking for housing...

JVanHo

New

Post by JVanHo » Tue May 01, 2012 4:45 pm

For current students:

My scholly is pretty low ($5k, but was expected since I'm below the LSAT median), with only a 2.0 GPA stip, but I'm not too worried about it because I'm covered for 1L with the GI Bill. ButI was wondering what sort of availability is there for 2L and 3L scholarships? Are they automatic, or must you apply for each? I can't find enough info on the school's website, so I have no idea really how many 2L and 3L scholarships are available, how competitive it is to get one, or the sort of dollar amounts they are. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Tue May 01, 2012 4:50 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:The fence is good, but it would be nice to fall into their yard rather than the street.

Sorry...but til August :( A friend in my class was admitted off the wait list the week of orientation. If you've literally heard nothing at all from them - have you called? It might be worth a call :)
Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and withdrew, as I'm planning on attending Minnesota now.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Dude101589

New

Post by Dude101589 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:36 am

JVanHo wrote:For current students:

My scholly is pretty low ($5k, but was expected since I'm below the LSAT median), with only a 2.0 GPA stip, but I'm not too worried about it because I'm covered for 1L with the GI Bill. ButI was wondering what sort of availability is there for 2L and 3L scholarships? Are they automatic, or must you apply for each? I can't find enough info on the school's website, so I have no idea really how many 2L and 3L scholarships are available, how competitive it is to get one, or the sort of dollar amounts they are. Thanks!
I am also curious about 2L and 3L scholarships. Obviously, they will be competitive but I would like to know there is at least some level of opportunity in acquiring additional funding.

Secondarily, I applied extraordinarily late in the cycle (March 28-as I wasn't sure I didn't want to take a year off) was accepted and received an OK scholarship. Would reapplying next year be likely to result in a higher award or would the admissions committee be likely to view lack of matriculation this year as a negative? FWIW, I was am more or less exactly 75th LSAT and 25th UGPA with a 166/3.45. I've also read that OSU doesn't factor need into the equation too prominently when offering awards but I certainly fall into the need category. Any thoughts or advice from current students would be appreciated.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Wed May 02, 2012 3:18 pm

A few questions for regarding the enrollment.

1) How long does it usually take for OSU to process the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)? I submitted mine about a week ago and my admissions to-do list still says I need to do it.

2) How do I get both my Moritz blog log in info, as well as setup my OSU e-mail password?

3) When does OSU assign your adviser and assign your classes?

Thanks for any help.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu May 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Dude - no clue about 2L and 3L scholarships, but there's a separate application for need based aid. I'm not sure timing matters a ton for merit aid from tOSU specifically, but it certainly makes a difference overall, and getting a[nother] year of work experience on your resume never hurts.
Ohiobumpkin wrote:A few questions for regarding the enrollment.

1) How long does it usually take for OSU to process the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)? I submitted mine about a week ago and my admissions to-do list still says I need to do it.

2) How do I get both my Moritz blog log in info, as well as setup my OSU e-mail password?

Thanks for any help.
1) I can't remember, but I actually had drama with my financial aid last year b/c of paperwork drama with the university. Reach out to Marc (Moritz financial aid guru). He's awesome and super helpful.

2) ...I can't remember. Mine was my email before I started, then it switches to your osu dot number, but I forget the timeline for all of that.

3) You don't really get an adviser. I mean, you do, but not until after classes start, and you never really use them. Shortly before orientation you'll be assigned two "co-counsels," 2Ls/3Ls who can be your resource for all things law school. If you sign up for the mentoring program, you'll be assigned 2-3 practitioners based on your interests. In November they'll assign your career counselor based on your last name, but you can always make an appointment with whoever you think will best help you reach your goals.
1L classes are assigned in late July / early August (Laura / the registrar will let you know when they're finalized). The schedules will be posted on the Moritz registrar page before that, so you can see all 12 possible schedules, but you won't know which is yours until later.

Hope that helps!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Thu May 03, 2012 10:53 pm

Lwoods wrote:Dude - no clue about 2L and 3L scholarships, but there's a separate application for need based aid. I'm not sure timing matters a ton for merit aid from tOSU specifically, but it certainly makes a difference overall, and getting a[nother] year of work experience on your resume never hurts.

Thanks for any help.

1) I can't remember, but I actually had drama with my financial aid last year b/c of paperwork drama with the university. Reach out to Marc (Moritz financial aid guru). He's awesome and super helpful.

2) ...I can't remember. Mine was my email before I started, then it switches to your osu dot number, but I forget the timeline for all of that.

3) You don't really get an adviser. I mean, you do, but not until after classes start, and you never really use them. Shortly before orientation you'll be assigned two "co-counsels," 2Ls/3Ls who can be your resource for all things law school. If you sign up for the mentoring program, you'll be assigned 2-3 practitioners based on your interests. In November they'll assign your career counselor based on your last name, but you can always make an appointment with whoever you think will best help you reach your goals.
1L classes are assigned in late July / early August (Laura / the registrar will let you know when they're finalized). The schedules will be posted on the Moritz registrar page before that, so you can see all 12 possible schedules, but you won't know which is yours until later.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for your insights. I will contact FA tomorrow then to confirm what happened to my MPN.

Duke Silver

New

Post by Duke Silver » Sat May 05, 2012 8:31 pm

Lwoods wrote:Dude - no clue about 2L and 3L scholarships, but there's a separate application for need based aid. I'm not sure timing matters a ton for merit aid from tOSU specifically, but it certainly makes a difference overall, and getting a[nother] year of work experience on your resume never hurts.

Thanks for any help.

Hope that helps!
As usual, Lwoods has TCR :D . I've heard nothing about additional 2L and 3L funding. My "adviser" is one of my current (well, no longer current, wow) professors, and the only time I met with him individually was at an advising lunch. This is what I've heard from most people about the faculty adviser program. It's way easier to meet with a prof you get along with, and honestly, even ones I'd never met before but taught classes I was interested in met with me about classes for next year. Everyone's pretty open-door at Moritz, which was one of the reasons I came here. 2Ls and 3Ls (along with TLS, lol) will be a good resource for academic things, if that's what you mean. Since everyone takes the same classes, you just end up waiting to find out which schedule you have, like Lwoods said.

And to echo the recommendation, if you think there's a problem, definitely email Marc/the appropriate staff member. OSU is a huge school, and things can get lost or misplaced. Email and keep track of what you've sent so things don't fall through the cracks. It's always easier to deal with it sooner rather than later. :)

somewherewarm

New

Post by somewherewarm » Mon May 14, 2012 3:14 pm

This may have been answered before but I couldn't find it, how do we buy football tickets? Is it true that we're among the students who get first dibs? Thanks guys.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Mon May 14, 2012 4:08 pm

somewherewarm wrote:This may have been answered before but I couldn't find it, how do we buy football tickets? Is it true that we're among the students who get first dibs? Thanks guys.
They will email you all the info you need for football tix :) Here's the 2011 info to give you an idea of how it will work - http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ticket ... t-info.pdf

Unless you have already attended Ohio State, you'll be pretty low ranked so don't expect good seats. Also, you need to buy them fast as soon as it comes available! Also, you can create a group so that you can sit together (although those who already have credits at OSU - the group seating is based on the lowest rank). We planned our group within the Class FB group.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tonymontana45

New

Post by tonymontana45 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:19 pm

Hey does anyone know how the waitlist process works for OSU? How many people they waitlist/how many get off usually?

Nicole435

New

Post by Nicole435 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:12 pm

I just got an email stating I was in today. I was seriously considering Elon because I have family close and could commute, but I am very excited about OSU!

legalsinger

New

Post by legalsinger » Wed May 30, 2012 8:11 pm

Nicole435 wrote:I just got an email stating I was in today. I was seriously considering Elon because I have family close and could commute, but I am very excited about OSU!

Congratulations!!! I'm still crossing my fingers on being accepted off the WL. Thought they'd call like other schools have done, but I suppose I'll just have to compulsively check my e-mail for the next few weeks! Good luck on your decision :-)

UDFlyers90

New

Post by UDFlyers90 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:54 pm

Last edited by UDFlyers90 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”