USF 2011-2012 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
noogooyen

New

Re: USF 2011-2012 Applicants

Post by noogooyen » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:00 am

pillowpet wrote:what other schools are you guys considering? I'm planning on staying in the Bay Area, so it has pretty much come down to USF and SCU for me (awaiting Hastings). I'm having a tough time since both schools are pretty much equals, but SCU has a slight edge in reputation throughout the Bay Area. My costs are pretty equal for both. USF does have a nicer/modern campus and I like the fact that it is in the City. However, living in SF costs an arm, a leg, and some loans. Right now, I might just lean towards SCU for the beautiful weather : ) For those in a similar situation, what's swayed your decision?

USF and SCU are top contenders for me as well. I've lived in San Jose my whole life and while I've never visited the USF campus, I can tell you that the SCU campus is BEAUTIFUL. Just being there you can feel the camaraderie and the studious atmosphere (at least in the library). I know that both these schools seem to be on everyone's ****list because of the numbers (in terms of employment) but from my own personal experience, I've met lots of successful lawyers in the bay area that attended here. I worked at a bank and I can tell you almost every lawyer I met there (of which there were many, including many who work in the District Attorney's office) almost exclusively attended SCU and loved it. While I feel that both schools are great choices, what makes SCU my top choice is the overwhelming presence it has in Silicon Valley. If I wanted to work in the city or in other parts of California, my choice would most likely change but for what I want to do and where I want to work, SCU is a clear winner.

pillowpet

New

Post by pillowpet » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:14 pm

yeah, i also got the impression that SCU does have a relatively better rep in the bay area than USF. After taking a look at martindale, it seems like SCU places pretty well in silicon valley firms, for its rank. it doesn't do bad in San Francisco either. You should definitely check out USF if you can. Their campus is pretty nice too...well their law facilities are. Pretty much every window you look out of gives you a memorizing view of San Francisco.

Geekolover

New

Post by Geekolover » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Being a current SCU undergrad student that applied to SCU and USF for law school, I would choose USF hands down because I know that's where I want to work. If you're planning to work in San Jose area then SCU is going to get you there. As far as I know, USF has a great alumni network and tons of opportunities in San Francisco. For me, it really came down to where I want to live/work in the future and maybe a side of me wanted a change of scenery. I think USF has its own unique beauty in the middle of San Francisco. Good luck!

crazyhohol

New

Post by crazyhohol » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:09 pm

Damn wait listed.....does anyone know the chances of getting in off of the waitlist?

Airallie

New

Post by Airallie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:19 pm

I was denied today. Good luck to all who remain/wait listers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ashleyrenee

Bronze

Post by ashleyrenee » Thu May 03, 2012 1:38 pm

anyone for sure going?
Is there a FB group yet?

ensign85

Bronze

Post by ensign85 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:34 pm

ashleyrenee wrote:anyone for sure going?
Is there a FB group yet?
Deposited. Riding out some waitlists but planning for USF.

noogooyen

New

Post by noogooyen » Thu May 03, 2012 9:06 pm

Anyone know if decisions come out only after 6? Or 5? Any specific time?

ensign85

Bronze

Post by ensign85 » Thu May 03, 2012 9:55 pm

noogooyen wrote:Anyone know if decisions come out only after 6? Or 5? Any specific time?
Got mine around 2 PST.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nsnSF

New

Post by nsnSF » Fri May 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Officially withdrawn from Santa Clara and Loyola - I'm definitely going to USF. No Facebook group as far as I know.

Anyone know if there are any events to attend for admits between now and orientation in August?

ashleyrenee

Bronze

Post by ashleyrenee » Fri May 04, 2012 2:30 pm

nsnSF wrote:Officially withdrawn from Santa Clara and Loyola - I'm definitely going to USF. No Facebook group as far as I know.

Anyone know if there are any events to attend for admits between now and orientation in August?

I know there is the housing workshop Friday June 8!

ensign85

Bronze

Post by ensign85 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:16 pm

ashleyrenee wrote:anyone for sure going?
Is there a FB group yet?
Someone should create one! I have no idea how the new FB works :\

noogooyen

New

Post by noogooyen » Mon May 07, 2012 9:52 pm

still waiting... USF is the last of my cycle and one of my top contenders. I'm going on 9 weeks, but considering it is this late in the cycle, do you guys think it would be okay to shoot them an email or call them to ask what's going on?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

montanamoose

New

Post by montanamoose » Mon May 07, 2012 10:08 pm

noogooyen wrote:still waiting... USF is the last of my cycle and one of my top contenders. I'm going on 9 weeks, but considering it is this late in the cycle, do you guys think it would be okay to shoot them an email or call them to ask what's going on?
I would not recommend contacting them yet; I have heard some horror stories of phone calls that hurried a waitlist or denial within the day. It seems that the committees get frustrated with people inquiring of status.

I’m sure this is not always the case, just my take on what I have heard.

noogooyen

New

Post by noogooyen » Mon May 07, 2012 10:27 pm

that was enough to sway me. thanks.

ArtyIvy

New

Post by ArtyIvy » Wed May 16, 2012 6:47 am

noogooyen wrote:still waiting... USF is the last of my cycle and one of my top contenders. I'm going on 9 weeks, but considering it is this late in the cycle, do you guys think it would be okay to shoot them an email or call them to ask what's going on?
It's my last school, too. After a bunch of rejections, I stopped checking the boards and my status. I just checked for the first time in weeks. Decision rendered & mailed, 5/11. I've had a USF email address on there since early April. Guess I'll know by the end of the week. Anyone get a late acceptance? USF is the only school I applied to where my numbers weren't a total reach.

marleneotero

New

Post by marleneotero » Fri May 18, 2012 12:56 pm

ArtyIvy wrote:
It's my last school, too. After a bunch of rejections, I stopped checking the boards and my status. I just checked for the first time in weeks. Decision rendered & mailed, 5/11. I've had a USF email address on there since early April. Guess I'll know by the end of the week. Anyone get a late acceptance? USF is the only school I applied to where my numbers weren't a total reach.

When did you both apply?
My application went complete on 4/9 and then on 4/19 again
Obviously I applied really late but I'm still hoping for a decision soon...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ArtyIvy

New

Post by ArtyIvy » Fri May 18, 2012 7:20 pm

marleneotero wrote: When did you both apply?
My application went complete on 4/9 and then on 4/19 again
Obviously I applied really late but I'm still hoping for a decision soon...
I applied pretty close to the deadline, if not on it. I had to retake the LSAT in February after being kept up by an inconsiderate roommate the night before the December test. That threw off my whole app cycle and I decided not to apply to USF and several other schools in January.

I'm really glad they extended the priority deadline. I got waitlisted, which is fine with me. The letter arrived Tuesday, I'm in Southern California.

[Edited to correct really poor mid-thought editing]

ensign85

Bronze

Post by ensign85 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Anyone set on USF?

Geekolover

New

Post by Geekolover » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:43 am

ensign85 wrote:Anyone set on USF?
If I could only get accepted off of the waitlist... Then I'll be set!

ArtyIvy

New

Post by ArtyIvy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:27 am

Me, too Geek. I'd be happy to go and happy to take out the loans (plan to go the public service/IBR route). But it's only 6 weeks from orientation and 7 from the first day of classes. Got an email today that they'll let another 20 people in about 2 weeks from now. That doesn't give much time to process loans, pack, move, etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Geekolover

New

Post by Geekolover » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:47 pm

ArtyIvy wrote:Me, too Geek. I'd be happy to go and happy to take out the loans (plan to go the public service/IBR route). But it's only 6 weeks from orientation and 7 from the first day of classes. Got an email today that they'll let another 20 people in about 2 weeks from now. That doesn't give much time to process loans, pack, move, etc.
I'd also be okay with paying and going the public interest route... First day of classes/orientation is definitely not far away. My "backup" school has orientation the week before that! I also got that email, hoping for the best for everyone on the waitlist. I don't know how much longer I can wait... At least they're keeping us updated.

ensign85

Bronze

Post by ensign85 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Geekolover wrote:
ArtyIvy wrote:Me, too Geek. I'd be happy to go and happy to take out the loans (plan to go the public service/IBR route). But it's only 6 weeks from orientation and 7 from the first day of classes. Got an email today that they'll let another 20 people in about 2 weeks from now. That doesn't give much time to process loans, pack, move, etc.
I'd also be okay with paying and going the public interest route... First day of classes/orientation is definitely not far away. My "backup" school has orientation the week before that! I also got that email, hoping for the best for everyone on the waitlist. I don't know how much longer I can wait... At least they're keeping us updated.
In all of the emails they send there's a strong request to withdraw immediately if we've made other plans. I will definitely do it if I'm in off Hasting's waitlist so someone can take my spot. Some of you sound like USF is your #1. My interaction with them so far has been great. Good luck, guys!

Geekolover

New

Post by Geekolover » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:29 pm

Did anyone receive acceptances last week? The last email they sent out said they would be accepting 10 full time students in the next 1-2 weeks.

nicoleb

New

Post by nicoleb » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:13 am

--LinkRemoved--

here's the group link! :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”