University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
geoduck

Silver

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Post by geoduck » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:33 am

Jaeger wrote:
geoduck wrote:
Jaeger wrote:
geoduck wrote:UMN 1L here if anyone is looking for a different perspective on anything (though Josh seems to be doing a fine job of it).

How do you feel about your job prospects? Where are you in your class? Any summer gigs?
Job prospects: I have an unpaid internship lined up in California, so pretty good right now. Wish it was paid, but I'm only a 1L and times are tough. There are summer gigs for 1Ls, especially for URM, but right now it seems like not enough to go around. I know several people planning on taking summer classes and volunteering (for instance with the MJF (Minnesota Justice Foundation)) in order to have done something 'legal' with their summer.

Class Rank: They actually don't tell us the quartiles. If a clerkship needs to know, they tell the clerkship. I guess you find out when you graduate? That said, I know that I'm above the curve. I just am not sure on which side of the 1st-2nd quartile line I fall.
What are your plans for your career? If you wanted biglaw, especially in a market like DC, would you think that's attainable?
Regarding my career, I want to get a nice IP related in-house position. If that means burning the midnight oil at a firm for a few years, I will do that. I am currently not sure if I want to stay in the Midwest or go back out to the west coast.

Regarding your hypothetical, it is attainable. In fact, DC is one of our OCI locations. But it probably won't be handed to you. Magna might open the door. There are probably better schools for getting to big DC firms, but UMN sends grads out that way all the time.

Edit: Also, it's important to remember that numbers get you the interview, not the job. UMN has a really great atmosphere and, I think, makes great interviewees. For instance, my intern colleagues at my summer gig are all Stanford/Harvard students. Did my employer chose #2,#3, and #19? No... I'd wager they just chose the people they liked best after using the numbers/ranks as a screen.

lawschoolhopeful!!!

New

Post by lawschoolhopeful!!! » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:44 am

dex8425 wrote:I just got waitlisted with a 3.62 and a 154. I just applied because I'm from the Twin Cities, and acceptance at the U would mean (hopefully) I could garner more scholarship money from William Mitchell and St. Thomas. I was quite shocked I didn't get rejected outright, obviously, especially this late in the cycle, but they got back to me in less than a month. Should I wait to get an actual decision from UMN before I try to negotiate scholarship offers with my tier 2/3 schools?
Hi, any idea how long it takes to get off the waitlist? And, what is the percentage or number of people admitted from the WL if at all.

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:06 am

BattleshipDon wrote:So, I just got my response from Minnesota. Waitlisted. Its odd, I'm in with 1/2 tuition at W&M and full tuition at Wake...is Minnesota that much farther ahead or super-saturated with applicants? 167 3.7 ugrad 3.9 grad fwiw
I don't want this to come off wrong - but yes, actually. The numbers are your clearest pointer.
Wake Forest had 3.60 GPA and 163 LSAT medians last year.
William and Mary had 3.73 and 165 medians.
Whereas, Minnesota had 3.80 and 167 medians.

It's all about the numbers. The bottom line is that you came in with a relatively late application, one median and one below median number. There's nothing odd about the difference in offers. I have a difficult time with people treating Minnesota like this sometimes. There is a big, big difference between each of the three schools on this list.
Last edited by MidwestJosh on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:08 am

lawschoolhopeful!!! wrote: Hi, any idea how long it takes to get off the waitlist? And, what is the percentage or number of people admitted from the WL if at all.
Wait for the April seat deposit deadlines to see any movement.

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:10 am

geoduck wrote:...In fact, DC is one of our OCI locations. But it probably won't be handed to you. Magna might open the door. There are probably better schools for getting to big DC firms, but UMN sends grads out that way all the time... it's important to remember that numbers get you the interview, not the job.
TITCR

PS - You should also look at our employment statistics. UMN does very well in DC.
Last edited by MidwestJosh on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:12 am

amantedevie wrote: Also, is there some place on-campus available to stay, or are people just finding a nearby hotel?
Congrats. Honestly, anywhere you get in the immediate downtown area is perfect. (the Priceline suggestion is spot on). If you have special transportation needs or questions regarding April ASW, please PM me.

--Josh

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:18 am

geoduck wrote:
Jaeger wrote:
geoduck wrote:UMN 1L here if anyone is looking for a different perspective on anything (though Josh seems to be doing a fine job of it).

How do you feel about your job prospects? Where are you in your class? Any summer gigs?
Job prospects: I have an unpaid internship lined up in California, so pretty good right now. Wish it was paid, but I'm only a 1L and times are tough. There are summer gigs for 1Ls, especially for URM, but right now it seems like not enough to go around. I know several people planning on taking summer classes and volunteering (for instance with the MJF (Minnesota Justice Foundation)) in order to have done something 'legal' with their summer.

Class Rank: They actually don't tell us the quartiles. If a clerkship needs to know, they tell the clerkship. I guess you find out when you graduate? That said, I know that I'm above the curve. I just am not sure on which side of the 1st-2nd quartile line I fall.
Geoduck is a little off on this point. You will know your quartiles, just not your exact rank. (Although UMN Law will provide exact rank for clerkship positions, as pointed out) UMN Law will publish the quartiles to students and prospective employers at the completion of each academic calendar year. You have access to your own GPA, and thus will know which quartile you are in and have (some) semblance for how close to the edge you are.

Detailed UMN Law placements statistics are available on our website. See: http://www.law.umn.edu/careers/career-f ... stics.html

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:23 am

amantedevie wrote: ... looking through this thread I saw something about a $300 reimbursement. Can anyone elaborate on how that works, ie, do you just submit receipts for cost of flight, etc., and they reimburse it?
Congrats!

Essentially, yes. It's incredibly simple. You'll submit receipts with a 1-page form that you'll receive at ASW and you'll be reimbursed upon matriculation.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:28 am

MidwestJosh wrote:
geoduck wrote:
Jaeger wrote:

Geoduck is a little off on this point. You will know your quartiles, just not your exact rank. (Although UMN Law will provide exact rank for clerkship positions, as pointed out) UMN Law will publish the quartiles to students and prospective employers at the completion of each academic calendar year. You have access to your own GPA, and thus will know which quartile you are in and have (some) semblance for how close to the edge you are.

Detailed UMN Law placements statistics are available on our website. See: http://www.law.umn.edu/careers/career-f ... stics.html
Ah so that's when we get them. I was under the impression that the quartiles weren't openly released until the class was graduating.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:34 am

geoduck wrote: Ah so that's when we get them. I was under the impression that the quartiles weren't openly released until the class was graduating.
No problem. Here are the historical numbers if anyone is interested: http://www.law.umn.edu/current/forms.ht ... 6eThXgQUEQ

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:36 am

Just wanted to agree with the Priceline recommendation. Stayed at Hotel Ivy this summer for $68/night.

And I know I withdrew from the waitlist, but I'd also like to reiterate to anyone that you should visit both the school and the town if at all possible. Minneapolis really is one of the coolest towns around.

landla

Bronze

Post by landla » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:17 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:Just wanted to agree with the Priceline recommendation. Stayed at Hotel Ivy this summer for $68/night.

And I know I withdrew from the waitlist, but I'd also like to reiterate to anyone that you should visit both the school and the town if at all possible. Minneapolis really is one of the coolest towns around.
How far is that from the school/how difficult to get around without a car?

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:42 am

landla wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Just wanted to agree with the Priceline recommendation. Stayed at Hotel Ivy this summer for $68/night.

How far is that from the school/how difficult to get around without a car?
That's downtown near the convention center. Easy bus ride.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wallflower1987

New

Post by wallflower1987 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:23 am

Just found out early last week I got in, and status checker has "scholarship letter" as one of the "mailed" items... I know I should be patient, but I'm not going to if I don't have to, so can anyone tell me from experience:

1. Does that mean I actually got a scholarship?

2. What kind of stipulations can I expect?

3. If I don't like it, should I leverage Nebraska to take the stips off my full ride and go there instead? (I have nothing to really push Minnesota's initial offer with beyond the implied threat of making a miniscule dent in their yield numbers by turning them down; my nearest acceptance is #49 American and possibly #44 Colorado (don't know yet)... let me know!)

Thanks.

p.s. For those who are insulted by my mentioning Nebraska in the same breath (and I've been on this site long enough to know you're out there somewhere), I don't want to hear how "walking on" at Minnesota would be a better option than Nebraska for free, so save it. I'm not a prestige whore, and the biggest difference on MY life will be whether I wind up in Minnesota or Nebraska (and, obviously, the inherent economic differences between living in Lincoln/Omaha and living in Minneapolis), with bragging rights on the line.

Nonetheless... moving on up if people didn't see that (Minnesota now #19 in the nation)... but it still needs to be practical for me to turn down a free, comparable education (at a school with better sports teams, and where I can just buy a MacBook to go with the iPhone I'm getting this summer instead of getting one of those hideous Lenovos for the same price). So get back at me with some facts and figures, TLSers.

Also, and this post is getting uncomfortably long for all of us, I'm sure, please don't think I am at all opposed to Minnesota... they are my top choice, but they are not perfect (no school would be)... I don't want to insult anybody, just want some real answers! Thanks. Again.

bisonprawn

New

Post by bisonprawn » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:13 am

wallflower1987 wrote:Just found out early last week I got in, and status checker has "scholarship letter" as one of the "mailed" items... I know I should be patient, but I'm not going to if I don't have to, so can anyone tell me from experience:

Thanks.
wallflower, I heard back from MN last week too, and status update said scholly letter mailed. Anyways, I'm international, so they emailed me my letters; scholly letter included! Stips were maintain 2.5 gpa.

wallflower1987

New

Post by wallflower1987 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:47 am

bisonprawn wrote:
wallflower1987 wrote:Just found out early last week I got in, and status checker has "scholarship letter" as one of the "mailed" items... I know I should be patient, but I'm not going to if I don't have to, so can anyone tell me from experience:

Thanks.
wallflower, I heard back from MN last week too, and status update said scholly letter mailed. Anyways, I'm international, so they emailed me my letters; scholly letter included! Stips were maintain 2.5 gpa.
Thanks for getting back to me so soon! I am really excited about this acceptance; I just want to see that packet so I know just how excited to be. My Nebraska acceptance was HUGE, not gonna lie... I know the rankings matter to some (highly debated) degree, but I look good in red. And I definitely like Nebraskans much more than Minnesotans (went to UG with a lot of both), and I'm not from either state. This should probably be a bigger point than I'm allowing it to be. I wish Nebraska were ranked 19 and Minnesota 89, because that would be no contest, but such is life. Hopefully Minnesota gives me a scholarship. (although a small, stupid part of me wants them to give me nothing so I don't feel guilty turning down #19 Minnesota for #89 Nebraska) Also... I hope Colorado comes back with something too... those three have officially taken firm hold of my top 3 spots (though their order changes almost daily).

p.s. I could look it up, but can anyone tell me off the top of their head what the curve is at UMN?

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:53 am

I don't think anyone at Minnnesota would be insulted by your choice. I'm not really sure what the source of that sentiment is, but I suspect that you misread the frustration that's expressed toward people who are incredulous as to why they are in or have a scholarship at some schools and are on the wait list at Minnesota or have a smaller scholarship.

The curve is between 3.0 and 3.33, varying slightly by year. All scholarships are set at a 2.5 GPA stip and in any given year the max that lose their scholarship is generally one, if any.

PS. Minnesota isn't exactly moving up. It's average rank has been 19-20. See: http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... _1987_1999 and http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... 00_present

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wallflower1987

New

Post by wallflower1987 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:52 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:I don't think anyone at Minnnesota would be insulted by your choice. I'm not really sure what the source of that sentiment is, but I suspect that you misread the frustration that's expressed toward people who are incredulous as to why they are in or have a scholarship at some schools and are on the wait list at Minnesota or have a smaller scholarship.

The curve is between 3.0 and 3.33, varying slightly by year. All scholarships are set at a 2.5 GPA stip and in any given year the max that lose their scholarship is generally one, if any.

PS. Minnesota isn't exactly moving up. It's average rank has been 19-20. See: http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... _1987_1999 and http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... 00_present
Thanks for the curve!

No, I just hate how some people on TLS are so into the rankings that they ridicule any choice that isn't Top 20 (or even top 3) by insisting that everyone with under a 180 lsat "sit out and retake"... so that was my meaning. Anyway, thanks again!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:55 pm

I think a lot of TLS would advocate a free-ride to a regional school in an area you want to work in. Sounds like an amazing option

People just try to discourage individuals who pay sticker at a regional school who have aspirations of DC big law

Warning edit: I know nothing about Nebraska at all, either good or bad lol

wallflower1987

New

Post by wallflower1987 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:02 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:I think a lot of TLS would advocate a free-ride to a regional school in an area you want to work in. Sounds like an amazing option

People just try to discourage individuals who pay sticker at a regional school who have aspirations of DC big law

Warning edit: I know nothing about Nebraska at all, either good or bad lol
I disagree, to some extent... there are definitely trolls on TLS who would bash any decision to go to a lower ranked school. Those who offer sincere advice (whose opinions I was looking for) would indeed say what you said. Nebraska is lower ranked... although I know that a lot of the rankings woes of schools in the Midwest come from lower salaries, which reflect lower costs of living. There is probably a difference in quality, but I'm not sure it's as apparent as some like to believe.

Anyway, I would like to know, since people are on this thread: I am indifferent about which state I end up in (between NE and MN), so if you were me, how much would Minnesota have to offer to make me consider turning down full tuition and fees at Nebraska? What would you do? (What DID you do?) Thanks!

youn0977

New

Post by youn0977 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Anybody else having trouble deciding between midwest schools? I am from Minnesota and debating between the University of Illinois, University of Wisconsin, Washington University in St. Louis and the University of Minnesota. Scholarships make the schools all cost about the same for me so I am currently leaning towards the University of Minnesota as I think I will most likely want to practice in Minneapolis. However, the only thing that really concerns me and is holding me back from making my deposit at Minnesota is the saturation of the Minneapolis market...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

youn0977

New

Post by youn0977 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:43 pm

Also, if you guys want any information on Minneapolis/St. Paul I could probably help. I attended the University of Minnesota for my undergraduate studies and I am also a Minnesota native, born and raised. So let me know if you have any questions regarding housing, the University or just general questions about the city.

ashley12

Bronze

Post by ashley12 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:12 pm

youn0977 wrote:Anybody else having trouble deciding between midwest schools? I am from Minnesota and debating between the University of Illinois, University of Wisconsin, Washington University in St. Louis and the University of Minnesota. Scholarships make the schools all cost about the same for me so I am currently leaning towards the University of Minnesota as I think I will most likely want to practice in Minneapolis. However, the only thing that really concerns me and is holding me back from making my deposit at Minnesota is the saturation of the Minneapolis market...
Madison is pretty sweet, not to mention the enticing prospect of not having to take the bar if you end up staying in WI

youn0977

New

Post by youn0977 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:27 pm

I actually really like Madison. The city is great and I love the school. However I am undecided about if I would like to go the public interest or private sector route and I feel like the University of Illinois and University of Minnesota keep those options the most open because each school feeds into decently sized cities. The Madison and, more generally, Wisconsin big law market is basically non-existent. Still, none of the schools give too much of a shot at big law so maybe it shouldn't play into my decision making too much.

woodscommaL

Bronze

Post by woodscommaL » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Just made a U of Minnesota Class of 2015 thread under the Class of 2015 forum. Anyone planning on attending should join me :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”