Texas Market Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ebklove

New

Texas Market

Post by ebklove » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:31 am

Following graduation, I will be clerking with the presiding justice at our State Supreme Court (not in Texas). I was just wondering if anyone knew the best route to crack into the Texas market, specifically Dallas, following my clerkship.

Could anyone tell me what the Texas legal market is like for out of state law grads? I grew up in San Antonio, with tons of extended family all across the state, so I have Texas ties.

My law school is unranked, but I am graduating at the top of my class with leadership on law review and moot court.

turbotong

Bronze

Re: Texas Market

Post by turbotong » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:00 pm

Do you attend UT?
Either way, here is your step 1:
Use "our" when referring only to Texas. Declare other states by name. You have that reversed.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:13 pm

I think you're going to have a hard time coming from an unranked school cracking Dallas. You've got a ton of competition from UT, SMU, and T14's. What are your goals?

theaccidentalclerk

Bronze

Post by theaccidentalclerk » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:46 pm

If I was you, I'd probably (1) try to graduate first, second or third in the class, and (2) apply to Texas federal district courts. I think you'd probably have a decent shot, actually, as valedictorian or salutatorian applying out of a SSC clerkship.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:16 pm

I agree with accidentalclerk, though I'd add (3) apply to SCOTX; (4) apply to 5th Circuit if you are #1-3 (very unlikely but possible; I knew a guy who graduated from TTTT and got 5th Circuit clerkship after out-of-state supreme court clerkship); and (4) pass the TX bar.

Did you apply to SCOTX and intermediate appellate courts in Texas the first time around?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”