0L Q : How important is it to read ahead? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
crossem

New

0L Q : How important is it to read ahead?

Post by crossem » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:23 pm

I feel like I am doing well by just staying with the syllabus, and outlining and re-outlining as I do to get a solid level of understanding.

Is the advantage of added practice on future topics worth it? "It" for me would mean a significantly higher hourly work load, since my professors explain everything quite well and it does take me some time to synthesize supplements/my reading/professor's.

All input is valuable!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Re: 0L Q : How important is it to read ahead?

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:28 pm

crossem wrote:I feel like I am doing well by just staying with the syllabus, and outlining and re-outlining as I do to get a solid level of understanding.

Is the advantage of added practice on future topics worth it? "It" for me would mean a significantly higher hourly work load, since my professors explain everything quite well and it does take me some time to synthesize supplements/my reading/professor's.

All input is valuable!
Huh? What did you want to do?

If you want to work a lot harder to read ahead, but feel like you're already doing well in class, then I say no...not very important to read ahead at all.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:30 pm

Hell, I had trouble staying only reasonably far behind.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:18 pm

You shouldn't be reading at all if you're a 0l

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:36 pm

I read ahead first semester of 1L, didn't read ahead second semester. Same grades both semesters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:47 pm

I like skimming my readings for the day, taking notes, and then really re-reading the parts that the prof emphasized. I find it helpful for my harder class (K's). For Civ Pro, I just do the reading. For Torts, I hardly even read the casebook - just E&E's cause my professor is a joker.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:55 pm

My best grade ever came from a class where I didn't open my casebook until 5 weeks left.

Law is mostly common sense. The biggest danger is not failing to read...it's over-thinking things.

Getting an awesome grade in a course you barely studied for is not all that unusual. The key is to have a good outline and copy as much of it down as possible.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:45 pm

I've finished the reading for the semester, but I have not yet determined how helpful it will be.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:56 pm

I like reading ahead a couple weeks at a time since it lets me have a week off from reading every other week. Having down time's important to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Knuckles

New

Post by Knuckles » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:56 pm

Some professors (all but one of mine this semester) will not give you the option of reading ahead; we weren't given a reading list, so you have to stay tuned until the end of class when they pluck their assignments from the case materials. I don't know how common this is, but I wouldn't bank on being able to read ahead.

Fedorov91

New

Post by Fedorov91 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:33 pm

People tried to read ahead in my contracts class. They tried to use readings from Thursday in the Tuesday class and the prof said we will get to that case on Thursday.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:05 pm

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:06 pm

Fedorov91 wrote:People tried to read ahead in my contracts class. They tried to use readings from Thursday in the Tuesday class and the prof said we will get to that case on Thursday.
Reading ahead =/= bragging about reading ahead

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:37 pm

JCougar wrote:My best grade ever came from a class where I didn't open my casebook until 5 weeks left.

Law is mostly common sense. The biggest danger is not failing to read...it's over-thinking things.

Getting an awesome grade in a course you barely studied for is not all that unusual. The key is to have a good outline and copy as much of it down as possible.
:roll:

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:38 pm

Just stop it.

crossem

New

Post by crossem » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:43 pm

Thanks for all the help.

I think I will start to move ahead on one of my classes, mostly because no one has said they regretted it.

Happy or not, I will have a better idea of what works for me after exams.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:35 am

Don't read ahead. That's like reading ahead to calculus when you are still on functions in algebra. When you are done reading for next class, stop it. That wasn't a joke comment someone made. I think you will not do yourself any good, and you may end up confusing yourself because you have not yet mastered the material you haven't yet covered in class. Once you get to the material you read ahead, it will not be fresh in your head because time has passed since you read it.

You would be far better off using your extra time to re-read what you already read than moving ahead. I'm of the school that the last thing you read should be what you will discuss in your very next class. To each their own, but you are just making things harder on yourself when things are difficult enough.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:39 am

Killself for even considering this.

Actually nevermind. You will fit right in during law school.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:34 am

shock259 wrote:I've finished the reading for the semester, but I have not yet determined how helpful it will be.
:lol:

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:46 am

I actually agree with the poster that said something about re-reading versus reading ahead. If you are dead set on wasting time, MUCH better imo to re-read the material you're on and understanding it (and outlining) than to read ahead.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:02 am

Depends upon how you learn best. If reading ahead helps, then do it. Some like to know where they are headed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:11 pm

I didnt really read at all this week and it felt good.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:27 pm

Sandro wrote:I didnt really read at all this week semester and it felt good.
FYP

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:15 pm

I mean, I guess you could read ahead? You are either going to read it all or you are not, and so it doesn't really make a difference when you do it. The downside to reading ahead is unless you brief the cases (which is probably a waste of time), then you likely won't remember anything from the reading if you actually get called on. I didn't care what I sounded like in class, but I know some people do.

I dunno, reading ahead just sounds like a stupid gunner thing to do. There is no beneficial point to it and you just sound like a douche if you ever actually mention you have read ahead for class.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:21 pm

I read ahead in most of my classes at the start of the semester. By the seventh week I started reading day by day. By the tenth week I read High Court Case Summaries for 3 classes and actually still do the reading for Property. First semester 1L so will let you know if that worked for me in two to three months

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”