Michigan Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
die Zauberflote

Bronze

Re: Michigan Class of 2014

Post by die Zauberflote » Mon May 02, 2011 1:12 pm

I'm thinking about renting a nice, 2 or 3 bedroom house in Burns Park or the Old West Side: $1,300-$1,800. What are the odds that I will be able to find summer sub-letters? Is it likely or unlikely? Is it a complete crapshoot, or if is successfully finding a sub-letter correlated to the effort the sub-lessor puts forth?

Cubyfan21

New

Post by Cubyfan21 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:46 pm

is there a facebook page for this group/class? if so, anyone have a link?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:55 pm

Cubyfan21 wrote:is there a facebook page for this group/class? if so, anyone have a link?
PMed.

We can post the link here right it isn't like it outs anyone, right?

er doctor

Bronze

Post by er doctor » Mon May 02, 2011 3:16 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Cubyfan21 wrote:is there a facebook page for this group/class? if so, anyone have a link?
PMed.

We can post the link here right it isn't like it outs anyone, right?
I've been posting the link with impunity I hope nobody has a problem with that. Since I'm the group's administrator you all now know who I am!

InvictusFortis

Bronze

Post by InvictusFortis » Tue May 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:.
Oh snap.

Kallpayoq

New

Post by Kallpayoq » Tue May 03, 2011 5:57 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
Oh snap.
What did I miss????

1102packardrocks

New

Summer starter sublet available

Post by 1102packardrocks » Tue May 03, 2011 6:34 pm

For any summer starters looking for housing, we have a great 6 BR 2.5 BA house about 10 minutes walking from the law school (code-name: "The Barn"). Porch with rocking chairs, fenced in backyard with grill, newly redone kitchen, hardwood floors, America themed tiki torches, Brazilian flag, built in climbing holds, etc. Great house for entertaining and home of the annual "Dis-orientation" party - soon-to-be-1Ls, you'll learn of this in September. We can sublet from mid-May to late August, and are starting out asking $500 per month (but will accept best offer). Let me know if you have any questions - for pictures, our FB ad is below:

http://apps.facebook.com/marketplace/s ... 2011-04-11

Looking forward to meeting all of you, summer starters and fall starters alike, in August!

Gold

Re: Summer starter sublet available

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:00 pm

1102packardrocks wrote:For any summer starters looking for housing, we have a great 6 BR 2.5 BA house about 10 minutes walking from the law school (code-name: "The Barn"). Porch with rocking chairs, fenced in backyard with grill, newly redone kitchen, hardwood floors, America themed tiki torches, Brazilian flag, built in climbing holds, etc. Great house for entertaining and home of the annual "Dis-orientation" party - soon-to-be-1Ls, you'll learn of this in September. We can sublet from mid-May to late August, and are starting out asking $500 per month (but will accept best offer). Let me know if you have any questions - for pictures, our FB ad is below:

Looking forward to meeting all of you, summer starters and fall starters alike, in August!
From what I remember of my drunken tour of this house...it's decent. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:02 pm

1102packardrocks wrote:For any summer starters looking for housing, we have a great 6 BR 2.5 BA house about 10 minutes walking from the law school (code-name: "The Barn"). Porch with rocking chairs, fenced in backyard with grill, newly redone kitchen, hardwood floors, America themed tiki torches, Brazilian flag, built in climbing holds, etc. Great house for entertaining and home of the annual "Dis-orientation" party - soon-to-be-1Ls, you'll learn of this in September. We can sublet from mid-May to late August, and are starting out asking $500 per month (but will accept best offer). Let me know if you have any questions - for pictures, our FB ad is below:

This place sounds amazing! Do you think there will be any openings for the fall?

1102packardrocks

New

Post by 1102packardrocks » Tue May 03, 2011 7:46 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:

This place sounds amazing! Do you think there will be any openings for the fall?
It is indeed amazing, but sadly we all like it too much to cede any spots for fall. I'll let you know if there are any mishaps during post finals celebration or someone gets voted out...

Also, in response to earlier post, nine out of ten drunk people rate our house decent or higher (tenth drunk: "BLEAGHHHH!!!!" - translated by experts as "this place is so amazing that I cannot control my bodily functions.")

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Kallpayoq wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
Oh snap.
What did I miss????
I dunno, it was just a period when I got here. I just assumed it must have been "Oh snap." worthy.
:mrgreen:

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:39 pm

1102packardrocks wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:

It is indeed amazing, but sadly we all like it too much to cede any spots for fall. I'll let you know if there are any mishaps during post finals celebration or someone gets voted out...

Also, in response to earlier post, nine out of ten drunk people rate our house decent or higher (tenth drunk: "BLEAGHHHH!!!!" - translated by experts as "this place is so amazing that I cannot control my bodily functions.")
Just FYI, I have 5 years of large group house living experience, I love to bake, cook full meals, mix drinks, and knit socks for housemates...just in case an opening becomes available. :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kallpayoq

New

Post by Kallpayoq » Tue May 03, 2011 9:27 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
Kallpayoq wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
Oh snap.
What did I miss????
I dunno, it was just a period when I got here. I just assumed it must have been "Oh snap." worthy.
:mrgreen:
You should have made up some juicy gossip! We all would have never known the difference!

RIPmitchhedberg

New

Post by RIPmitchhedberg » Wed May 04, 2011 3:06 am

Okay, so I have a dumb question--what basic winter clothing items should be my top priorities/investments? I am from California and own next to no serious winter gear. I leave in a month (summer start) and my mom has generously offered to buy me a few staple clothing items before I go. I know it's not the season to be buying this stuff, but since she offered, I'm acting on it. I know absolutely nothing about raincoats or winter coats or boots or anything, so any advice here would be great.

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Wed May 04, 2011 7:58 am

RIPmitchhedberg wrote:Okay, so I have a dumb question--what basic winter clothing items should be my top priorities/investments? I am from California and own next to no serious winter gear. I leave in a month (summer start) and my mom has generously offered to buy me a few staple clothing items before I go. I know it's not the season to be buying this stuff, but since she offered, I'm acting on it. I know absolutely nothing about raincoats or winter coats or boots or anything, so any advice here would be great.
I would recommend some sweaters that you can layer over tshirts -- I don't know about Michigan, but when I was in undergrad in New Hampshire, it would be like 15 degrees outside and then super heated inside all the buildings, so if you couldn't take some layers off, you would be uncomfortably hot.

For coats, I have a J Crew coat (with thinsulate) and an EMS fleece for fall, and then heavier winter jackets from...I think Columbia? and Kjus (which are basically ski jackets) for when it's really cold. I think that should get me through (and in fact I might leave one of the wintery-ier coats behind).

Get a couple of lined wool pants and you should be fine. And some boots. Hmm...I might need to get some boots myself. It's been a while since I lived somewhere that required them.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:09 am

Entchen wrote:
RIPmitchhedberg wrote:Okay, so I have a dumb question--what basic winter clothing items should be my top priorities/investments? I am from California and own next to no serious winter gear. I leave in a month (summer start) and my mom has generously offered to buy me a few staple clothing items before I go. I know it's not the season to be buying this stuff, but since she offered, I'm acting on it. I know absolutely nothing about raincoats or winter coats or boots or anything, so any advice here would be great.
I would recommend some sweaters that you can layer over tshirts -- I don't know about Michigan, but when I was in undergrad in New Hampshire, it would be like 15 degrees outside and then super heated inside all the buildings, so if you couldn't take some layers off, you would be uncomfortably hot.

For coats, I have a J Crew coat (with thinsulate) and an EMS fleece for fall, and then heavier winter jackets from...I think Columbia? and Kjus (which are basically ski jackets) for when it's really cold. I think that should get me through (and in fact I might leave one of the wintery-ier coats behind).

Get a couple of lined wool pants and you should be fine. And some boots. Hmm...I might need to get some boots myself. It's been a while since I lived somewhere that required them.
It doesn't get THAT cold. I was fine all winter wearing just jeans. Not sure you'd need lined wool pants, or you'd want them considering some of the classrooms are kind of hot.

A good pair of snow-boots, a decent winter jacket, and things with long sleeves.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Wed May 04, 2011 11:23 am

blowhard wrote:
Entchen wrote:

It doesn't get THAT cold. I was fine all winter wearing just jeans. Not sure you'd need lined wool pants, or you'd want them considering some of the classrooms are kind of hot.

A good pair of snow-boots, a decent winter jacket, and things with long sleeves.
Eh, I wear them here in DC cause they're cozy. Maybe you don't need them, but I think they're nice. I'm talking like...Banana Republic, not ski suits.

I did a lot of skiing in UG, hence the ski jackets, but yeah, those might be overkill. That's why I'm thinking of leaving one at home. I also have a nice wool coat that will probably be fine for most days.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Wed May 04, 2011 11:47 am

J crew makes really nice fleece lined pants too, mmmmm.

(but i should get out of here asap)

sanguar

Silver

Post by sanguar » Wed May 04, 2011 1:46 pm

I'd recommend one of those Columbia three in one coats--outer, inner, zipped together. LLBean has some flannel lined pants that are awesome, too. Knitted Michigan hat a must. Some gloves with thinsulate are also a good idea in case you'll be cleaning snow off a car or driveway.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:29 pm

sanguar wrote:I'd recommend one of those Columbia three in one coats--outer, inner, zipped together. LLBean has some flannel lined pants that are awesome, too. Knitted Michigan hat a must. Some gloves with thinsulate are also a good idea in case you'll be cleaning snow off a car or driveway.
Or Northface...same thing. It actually worked nicely because I would wear whole thing to school, but my morning class in 100 Hutch was cold so I'd wear liner like a sweater. But, my classes in 118 were hot as hell, so I could take off then and be comfortable there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

michlaw

Bronze

Post by michlaw » Wed May 04, 2011 11:42 pm

L
Last edited by michlaw on Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Thu May 05, 2011 1:16 am

blowhard wrote:
sanguar wrote:I'd recommend one of those Columbia three in one coats--outer, inner, zipped together. LLBean has some flannel lined pants that are awesome, too. Knitted Michigan hat a must. Some gloves with thinsulate are also a good idea in case you'll be cleaning snow off a car or driveway.
Or Northface...same thing. It actually worked nicely because I would wear whole thing to school, but my morning class in 100 Hutch was cold so I'd wear liner like a sweater. But, my classes in 118 were hot as hell, so I could take off then and be comfortable there.
I personally really enjoy fleece lined tights, but then I'm a girl.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:15 am

I'm going to be a rebel and not get a jacket. 8)

InvictusFortis

Bronze

Post by InvictusFortis » Thu May 05, 2011 10:07 am

AreJay711 wrote:I'm going to be a rebel and not get a jacket. 8)

All you really need is a big pair of boots and an ushanka. You can rock t-shirts and shorts with those.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”