Another splitter Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
1republic

New

Another splitter

Post by 1republic » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:44 pm

I have about a 3.3 gpa (3.7 my last 2 years) from Berkeley, and took the oct lsat, hoping for at least 167-170. My questions is about which schools I should apply to since my gpa is not so hot. And any worth applying to early?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Another splitter

Post by bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:46 pm

You mean ED? UVa would be worth ED'ing if you hit 170 and don't mind sticker.

1republic

New

Post by 1republic » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:51 pm

I mean early action or ED. Would you suggest early action at Cornell if I hit 169 or 170 as well as ED at UVA?

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:53 pm

If you hit 170 and have work experience you would have a good shot if you ED at NU.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:56 pm

1republic wrote:I mean early action or ED. Would you suggest early action at Cornell if I hit 169 or 170 as well as ED at UVA?
You should EA at Cornell regardless considering it is non-binding.

D-Hops is also right.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

1republic

New

Post by 1republic » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:57 pm

I will have one year of WE; graduated this past May. Does this qualify for NUs idea of WE or do they tend to prefer 2-3 yrs of WE?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:57 pm

1republic wrote:I mean early action or ED. Would you suggest early action at Cornell if I hit 169 or 170 as well as ED at UVA?
There really is no reason NOT to go early action at a school, as long as you have everything in your app package completed and good to go. This is assuming that EA at Cornell is still non-binding though.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:59 pm

1republic wrote:I will have one year of WE; graduated this past May. Does this qualify for NUs idea of WE or do they tend to prefer 2-3 yrs of WE?
It counts as 1 year. I think there is a preference for two years, but it will put you in a better boat than the straight out of undergrad applicants.

1republic

New

Post by 1republic » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Thanks for the help, guys. Appreciate it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:50 pm

If you hit 170, apply ED to your favorite of UVA, NU, or GULC. With a 168+ you'll have a shot at Cornell EA.

lawandi

Bronze

Post by lawandi » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:01 pm

I'm in the same boat (Berkeley UG too!). I'd say try the following for sure: Northwestern, UTAustin, Michigan, Georgetown, Cornell. Apply to some safeties too.

Use this website:
http://www.hourumd.com/
It uses stats from actual applicants, not just the school's formula, which helps predict for splitters.

Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Post by Remnantofisrael » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:59 pm

Why UT- Austin? Aren't they notoriously impossible for non TX residents?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:07 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:Why UT- Austin? Aren't they notoriously impossible for non TX residents?
Closer to a bit more difficult than impossible.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:10 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:Why UT- Austin? Aren't they notoriously impossible for non TX residents?
UT hates splitters, especially the non-resident ones.

Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Post by Remnantofisrael » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:16 pm

so moral of the story- that website, and many others like it, are at least a bit unreliable. Consider that texas LOOKS like a good school for people with mediocre numbers to apply too, but that is only because those poor numbers came from in-state apps and UT takes a high percent of instate.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:17 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:so moral of the story- that website, and many others like it, are at least a bit unreliable. Consider that texas LOOKS like a good school for people with mediocre numbers to apply too, but that is only because those poor numbers came from in-state apps and UT takes a high percent of instate.
I really really prefer to use LSN even though it does have gaps.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:18 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:so moral of the story- that website, and many others like it, are at least a bit unreliable. Consider that texas LOOKS like a good school for people with mediocre numbers to apply too, but that is only because those poor numbers came from in-state apps and UT takes a high percent of instate.
UT is required by state law to enroll at least 65% in-state, so non-residents with weak numbers have a tougher time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

1republic

New

Post by 1republic » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:18 pm

lawandi wrote:I'm in the same boat (Berkeley UG too!). I'd say try the following for sure: Northwestern, UTAustin, Michigan, Georgetown, Cornell. Apply to some safeties too.

Use this website:
http://www.hourumd.com/
It uses stats from actual applicants, not just the school's formula, which helps predict for splitters.
Awesome, lawandi! What was your major? I did PEIS, but started out in econ, and that was what ruined my gpa :-/ Do you know where you are thinking of doing ED, if you are going to?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:08 pm

bk187 wrote:
I really really prefer to use LSN even though it does have gaps.
hourumd pulls it's data from LSN (clicking on anyone pulls up their LSN profile). The only difference is it pulls from multiple years.

Just put less emphasis on older years and go through the effort of clicking on individual profiles to see if they identified as in-state for schools like UT and UVA.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:09 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:hourumd pulls it's data from LSN (clicking on anyone pulls up their LSN profile). The only difference is it pulls from multiple years.

Just put less emphasis on older years and go through the effort of clicking on individual profiles to see if they identified as in-state for schools like UT and UVA.
I know that. More of a dislike of having old data and a dislike of hourumd's website design.

gsenator

New

Post by gsenator » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:29 pm

Hi guys. I am sorry to take this thread on a tangent, but they are not allowing us to make new posts at this time. I had a few questions to ask the OP and the ones helping him out. My first question is what "ED" or "EA" means ( I sort of assumed EA meant early admissions). My second question is in regards to how the GPA's are counted. Currently I go to Chapman University College ( same certification, just online), and my GPA from that school is a 4.0. But I didn't do so hot during my general ed at community college, in which I had around a 3.1 gpa. Combined I am looking at a cumulative score of 3.5 My question is whether or not Law schools are only going to look at my GPA for my upper division major work at Chapman, or if they are going to lump my whole academic career into one category and judge my GPA off of that figure. Can anyone please help me, nobody seems to know the answer at my college's law office.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:32 pm

gsenator wrote:Hi guys. I am sorry to take this thread on a tangent, but they are not allowing us to make new posts at this time. I had a few questions to ask the OP and the ones helping him out. My first question is what "ED" or "EA" means ( I sort of assumed EA meant early admissions). My second question is in regards to how the GPA's are counted. Currently I go to Chapman University College ( same certification, just online), and my GPA from that school is a 4.0. But I didn't do so hot during my general ed at community college, in which I had around a 3.1 gpa. Combined I am looking at a cumulative score of 3.5 My question is whether or not Law schools are only going to look at my GPA for my upper division major work at Chapman, or if they are going to lump my whole academic career into one category and judge my GPA off of that figure. Can anyone please help me, nobody seems to know the answer at my college's law office.
They look at your overall GPA of ~3.5.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:33 pm

gsenator wrote:Hi guys. I am sorry to take this thread on a tangent, but they are not allowing us to make new posts at this time. I had a few questions to ask the OP and the ones helping him out. My first question is what "ED" or "EA" means ( I sort of assumed EA meant early admissions). My second question is in regards to how the GPA's are counted. Currently I go to Chapman University College ( same certification, just online), and my GPA from that school is a 4.0. But I didn't do so hot during my general ed at community college, in which I had around a 3.1 gpa. Combined I am looking at a cumulative score of 3.5 My question is whether or not Law schools are only going to look at my GPA for my upper division major work at Chapman, or if they are going to lump my whole academic career into one category and judge my GPA off of that figure. Can anyone please help me, nobody seems to know the answer at my college's law office.
ED = Early Decision. This is binding where you get a decision back early but you have to attend if admitted.
EA = Early action. This is often non-binding where they just promise to get you a decision back earlier than normal but you can attend wherever you like.
GPA = They are going to look at your LSDAS GPA which will contain both your GPA's.

gsenator

New

Post by gsenator » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Thanks for the help! I had another question in regards to the ED. Because it is binding I am assuming that everybody picks one school to do this with. Does an ED help your chances of getting in at all, or is it simply a means to expedite the process of admissions?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:29 pm

gsenator wrote:Thanks for the help! I had another question in regards to the ED. Because it is binding I am assuming that everybody picks one school to do this with. Does an ED help your chances of getting in at all, or is it simply a means to expedite the process of admissions?
You cannot ED at more than one school at a time. ED does help your chances, more at some schools than at others. Also of note is that, for most schools, ED will also make sure that you get 0 scholarship money.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”