GULC c/o 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
softrevolution

New

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Post by softrevolution » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:47 pm

iamtaw wrote:My room number and mailbox number are off by a number. is your room number and mailbox number the same?
I don't think there's any correlation. I believe that we each get our own mailboxes and most rooms have more than I person living in them.

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:01 pm

For other soon to be Gewirz dwellers: Are you shipping your stuff up there? I'm flying up to move in, and figured it'd be easiest to ship everything. If so, what service do you think is best? UPS, FedEx, or something else?

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:40 pm

iamtaw wrote:i noticed something weird about my address and was wondering if it was the same for everyone else. My room number and mailbox number are off by a number. is your room number and mailbox number the same?
MSPeast wrote:Mine aren't similar whatsoever.
softrevolution wrote:I don't think there's any correlation. I believe that we each get our own mailboxes and most rooms have more than I person living in them.
Nope, no correlation. Mailboxes are right by the main entrance to Gewirz sorta opposite the desk, and everyone gets his/her own mailbox (I think, though I'm not absolutely certain about the personal mailbox). Actually, taw, it's probably more of an oddity that your room number and mailbox number are so similar, if anything. Easier to remember perhaps?

iamtaw

Bronze

Post by iamtaw » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:00 pm

thanks for clearing that up guys

mulberry.tree

New

Post by mulberry.tree » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Has anybody heard anything about the Gewirz welcome events schedule that was supposed to be posted up on the website on the 1st?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:22 pm

Did you all see the new Public Interest Fellows Program? Like PILS but without the scholarship, it seems.

iamtaw

Bronze

Post by iamtaw » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:26 pm

js87 wrote:For other soon to be Gewirz dwellers: Are you shipping your stuff up there? I'm flying up to move in, and figured it'd be easiest to ship everything. If so, what service do you think is best? UPS, FedEx, or something else?
im going to be shipping about 5-6 boxes. usps seems to be the cheapest. "parcel post" runs around $16 per box. ups ground sometimes goes a little higher. ups has better tracking but usps delivers on saturdays.

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:32 pm

mulberry.tree wrote:Has anybody heard anything about the Gewirz welcome events schedule that was supposed to be posted up on the website on the 1st?
I was just thinking about that, but it looks like they haven't posted anything.

Pool partyyyyyyyyy.

Burberry by Burberry

Bronze

Post by Burberry by Burberry » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:40 pm

Does anyone know if the exam software at GULC is Mac compatible?

Also, can anyone recommend OmniOutliner 3 or Circus Ponies Notebook? I've been using OneNote, but I really don't want to use Windows anymore.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Does this help re: cable?

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/reslife/o ... ities.html

P.S. I have been splitting (and splitting, and splitting) cable in apartments from MN to New Haven to NYC (and DC!) for years and years and years. It is easy and cheap. You can have your own channels. The spliter costs about three bucks.

I wish I could get a new tenant for my silver spring condo with this new housing crisis...I would LOVE to charge more rent for my place! Ah well...

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:02 pm

Did anyone ask their Peer Advisor about the spring elective?

I didn't really get an answer from mine.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:03 pm

nowinGA wrote:Does this help re: cable?

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/reslife/o ... ities.html

P.S. I have been splitting (and splitting, and splitting) cable in apartments from MN to New Haven to NYC (and DC!) for years and years and years. It is easy and cheap. You can have your own channels. The spliter costs about three bucks.

I wish I could get a new tenant for my silver spring condo with this new housing crisis...I would LOVE to charge more rent for my place! Ah well...
Thanks, looks like it won't even be an issue :)

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:16 pm

stace83 wrote:
Torvon wrote:So anyone have any idea when they will make the budget increase request form available? I want to choose the +spouse option for insurance so I'm wondering when I could expect the increase in loan money. Will it be before it disburses?
I called and asked about increasing the loan to cover health insurance for my spouse a few weeks ago. They said that we'll request the increase during orientation but that there's no guarantee they'll approve it. They said you'll have to explain your circumstances, such as spouse being unemployed. So if we do get the increase I doubt it will come at the same time as
the rest of the loan money. Also, not sure what health insurance your spouse has, but we are buying private health insurance right now and I'm not going to cancel his plan until I know for sure that I can get the loan increase. Hope that helps!
Here is an update on the spouse situation if anyone else is interested. I emailed the FA office to ask about it and they replied and said:
If you have private insurance, we will cover your spouse if she is not working. You will just need to provide a copy of your plan. If you enroll in the Law Center's health insurance plan, and include your wife, we will cover the cost as the amount will be reflected in your bill.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Burberry by Burberry wrote:Does anyone know if the exam software at GULC is Mac compatible?

Also, can anyone recommend OmniOutliner 3 or Circus Ponies Notebook? I've been using OneNote, but I really don't want to use Windows anymore.
They don't use exam software, so yes!

Burberry by Burberry

Bronze

Post by Burberry by Burberry » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:29 pm

nowinGA wrote:
Burberry by Burberry wrote:Does anyone know if the exam software at GULC is Mac compatible?

So what does GULC use? I'm confused...

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:34 pm

Burberry by Burberry wrote:
nowinGA wrote:

So what does GULC use? I'm confused...
You just do it in Word. Or so I have been told...Heather has commented on this. It's an honor thing, and on most you can use notes or the internet anyway (but, as one of her profs put it, if you are on Wikipedia, you are in trouble...as in, there is no time for that...)

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:37 pm

...so my Gewirz roommate decided to attend school elsewhere. I think there were some on here who got replacements roommates...how long did that take? Just curious...I wonder when they are going to the wait list. This might be good for me, since I am old(er)...if I can maybe get an LLM or transfer student who is older...hmm. My original roommate wasn't even facebookstalkable...so yes, I think this is a good thing. ;)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

iamtaw

Bronze

Post by iamtaw » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:38 pm

do you think a router would work in the dorms? i've never set up a router in my life. shouldn't be any different from any other router setup right?

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:54 pm

Here is the IT site for students that gives their recommendations for hardware as well as links to their "strategic partnerships" with Dell and Apple. Honestly it's just the same as any other Apple education discount, but they definitely support Macs.

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/ist/stude ... comrec.htm

tigrelis

New

Post by tigrelis » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Last edited by tigrelis on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:52 pm

tigrelis wrote:
nowinGA wrote:...so my Gewirz roommate decided to attend school elsewhere. I think there were some on here who got replacements roommates...how long did that take? Just curious...I wonder when they are going to the wait list. This might be good for me, since I am old(er)...if I can maybe get an LLM or transfer student who is older...hmm. My original roommate wasn't even facebookstalkable...so yes, I think this is a good thing. ;)
mine bailed too, although she let me know a while back that she had the gewirz deposit in just in case. i have an LLM student roommate now. I don't know how long it took though, because i never realized my old one found new housing, and i just got an email saying i had a new roommate from the waitlist.
I haven't heard from mine whatsoever, but he hasn't heard from me either. Pretty much winging it (I'm not buying much in advance anyway). Mine is definitely a right-out-of-undergrad guy though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Does anyone know when we'll find out which section we're in for Legal Research and Writing?

edit: Nevermind, I just saw that we'll find out at the registration session.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:47 pm

volsi wrote:
I'm also planning on stopping by the bookstore to see if our books have arrived already. Some of my books are available on amazon and some aren't.
Where did you find out which books we need? Is this a dumb question? Sometimes I miss things that are right in front of me :D

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:53 pm

You'll spend probably 70% of your life in Microsoft Word next year. Almost every single person in our section used Word's "Notebook View" for notes (works like a charm) and we all use Word for exams, too. Save the money you'd spend on other problems and check out the Notebook view for in-class notes. It's really pretty great. I would definitely recommend you get the full edition of Office (and not the less expensive Student and Teacher edition) because the S&T edition lacks the "Table of Authorities" option that'll really make life easier at brief-writing time (which you'll need PLENTY in the future).

Otherwise, my entire life pretty much has an Apple icon on it, and it was really about a 50/50 Mac/PC split in our section. Completely seamless integration all around... in fact, we can all share power cords--which happened quite often when people forgot theirs, etc.--while PC folks very rarely can, so you're more than good. I actually have an extra PC laptop, and the only time it was used last year was when I loaned it to other people when they had problems with their laptops!

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:31 pm

Just wanted to report that Ikea College Park has a delivery special this month. I got 280 pounds of furniture delivered for 50 dollars. It will go up to 70 at the end of this week, but it'll stay at 70 until the end of August.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”