wealth from being an associate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
eddietx12

New

wealth from being an associate

Post by eddietx12 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:10 pm

Say you're an associate for 7 years, earning 160-170-180-190-200-210-220 = 1.33 million
Uncle Sam takes 50%, so you end up with $665,000 USD in nominal wealth. That's about 90k a year nominal income.

Say you invested everything in a 3% secured instrument, if you can find one, you get like $700k or so at the end of 7 years, post tax, saved up at 3% a year.

This is the MAXIMUM you can save theoretically, assuming no expenses, no tax evasion or funky business or more than 3% returns.

Expenses (student loans, mortgage scam, wife, etc., = 90%), marginal rate of saving = 0.10
An average national savings rate is considered to be 10%

So your net worth will thus be only $70k when all is said and done by the time you make partner, congratulations.
Last edited by eddietx12 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mallard

Silver

Re: wealth from being an associate

Post by mallard » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:10 pm

Good to have you back. How's your debt situation?

eddietx12

New

Post by eddietx12 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:12 pm

mallard wrote:Good to have you back. How's your debt situation?
-310k, I mentioned this in a different post.
I'm considering some options, including public interest type loan forgiveness

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:12 pm

Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:14 pm

eddietx12 wrote: Expenses (student loans, mortgage scam, wife, etc., = 90%), marginal rate of saving = 0.10
Perhaps those who make more save more though? I doubt a large amount of the population starts at 150K a year. It's also called living frugally, something that national savings rate probably hasn't take into account the last few years. That math is just generally bold assertions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eddietx12

New

Post by eddietx12 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:15 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
eddietx12 wrote: Expenses (student loans, mortgage scam, wife, etc., = 90%), marginal rate of saving = 0.10
Perhaps those who make more save more though? I doubt a large amount of the population starts at 150K a year. It's also called living frugally, something that national savings rate probably hasn't take into account the last few years. That math is just generally bold assertions.
They buy more expensive shit, mostly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:17 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
Well now we know why the OP didn't go into consulting or banking.

eddietx12

New

Post by eddietx12 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:24 pm

The point of my post is that law is not a "wealth creating" profession, it is a high-income profession, which is well suited for "living rich," not "getting wealthy."

I think the only sensible route, probability weighted, to getting wealthy - is founding your own business and growing it from the ground up - using scale, big $$$.

You can scale a business, you can't scale your own time - unless you're like the owner of legalzoom.com or something.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:25 pm

eddietx12 wrote:The point of my post is that law is not a "wealth creating" profession, it is a high-income profession, which is well suited for "living rich," not "getting wealthy."

I think the only sensible route, probability weighted, to getting wealthy - is founding your own business and growing it from the ground up - using scale, big $$$.

You can scale a business, you can't scale your own time - unless you're like the owner of legalzoom.com or something.
So is this your plan now? Law didn't work out that well, so you're going to start a business? What kind?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eddietx12

New

Post by eddietx12 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:31 pm

mallard wrote:
eddietx12 wrote:The point of my post is that law is not a "wealth creating" profession, it is a high-income profession, which is well suited for "living rich," not "getting wealthy."

So is this your plan now? Law didn't work out that well, so you're going to start a business? What kind?
I think I'm going to design a software program for cable-boxes which connects to a user's Google account, and replaces the ads on tv with customized ads tailored to the user's google search history. I don't want to watch women's pantie ads when I watch my TV, I'd rather watch ads about cars, personal finance, dog food, or things that are more geared to my lifestyle - things that Google knows all about.

I'm going to sell my software to Google and Comcast/Tivo/DirecTV after I patent it, for about $1.310m, so I can get rid of my debt and become a millionaire. The way Google and the cable-box will interact will be by a wifi connection/network to my personal computer, which will run on the Google operating system.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:33 pm

Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eddietx12

New

Post by eddietx12 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:38 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
eddietx12 wrote:I think I'm going to design a software program for cable-boxes which connects to a user's Google account, and replaces the ads on tv with customized ads tailored to the user's google search history. I don't want to watch women's pantie ads when I watch my TV, I'd rather watch ads about cars, personal finance, dog food, or things that are more geared to my lifestyle - things that Google knows all about.

I'm going to sell my software to Google and Comcast/Tivo/DirecTV after I patent it, for about $1.310m, so I can get rid of my debt and become a millionaire. The way Google and the cable-box will interact will be by a wifi connection/network to my personal computer, which will run on the Google operating system.
rofl @ you thinking google won't be able to prove they weren't first to invent
who cares about the patent? I just said that as an aside, this isn't a patentable invention, its just an implementable business model which nobody's going to pursue for certain reasons.

eddietx12

New

Post by eddietx12 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Last edited by eddietx12 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:56 pm

eddietx12 wrote:this algorithm has a lot of value in it.

1) attach a wi-fi add-on to your cable box, connects to home network
2) download and install software given by cable provider, which does exactly what big-brother Google does to you (spies on your shit)
3) Comcast sells this information to a third party for a fafillion dollars to American corporations who want to use this info to replace the common-ads you get alongwith your neighbor - with tailormade ads for your personalized interests that the Comcast box uploads from its software over the Wifi network.
4) people who willingly+knowingly download+install this software get a sizeable subscription fee discount.

This is a whole system that I'm working on from my basement, and I'm going to make a LOT of money one day. This is not a patentable invention, you're combining existing technology in an obvious way to those skilled in the art. This shit likely exists in some form or another.

The smart-ad shit hasn't taken off on television because TV doesn't interact with the customer. I'm going to make TV interact with the customer indirectly by backdooring info using this Comcast-software.

I don't care about detailing my idea on this web-site because everybody on here is real angsty to get on the hamster-wheel that is biglaw, where the hamster gets more treats based on how long he runs on the wheel.
your mom's basement?

eddietx12

New

Post by eddietx12 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:58 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
eddietx12 wrote:this algorithm has a lot of value in it.

1) attach a wi-fi add-on to your cable box, connects to home network
2) download and install software given by cable provider, which does exactly what big-brother Google does to you (spies on your shit)
3) Comcast sells this information to a third party for a fafillion dollars to American corporations who want to use this info to replace the common-ads you get alongwith your neighbor - with tailormade ads for your personalized interests that the Comcast box uploads from its software over the Wifi network.
4) people who willingly+knowingly download+install this software get a sizeable subscription fee discount.

This is a whole system that I'm working on from my basement, and I'm going to make a LOT of money one day. This is not a patentable invention, you're combining existing technology in an obvious way to those skilled in the art. This shit likely exists in some form or another.

The smart-ad shit hasn't taken off on television because TV doesn't interact with the customer. I'm going to make TV interact with the customer indirectly by backdooring info using this Comcast-software.

I don't care about detailing my idea on this web-site because everybody on here is real angsty to get on the hamster-wheel that is biglaw, where the hamster gets more treats based on how long he runs on the wheel.
your mom's basement?
ya

PSLaplace

New

Post by PSLaplace » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:58 pm

Expenses (student loans, mortgage scam, wife, etc., = 90%), marginal rate of saving = 0.10
It's not even remotely accurate to apply the average savings rate to the top 5% of income earners. Economics 101 tells you that an actor's marginal propensity to save increases as his salary increases.

eddietx12

New

Post by eddietx12 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:02 am

PSLaplace wrote:
It's not even remotely accurate to apply the average savings rate to the top 5% of income earners. Economics 101 tells you that an actor's marginal propensity to save increases as his salary increases.
Um, average national savings is nowhere close to 10%, its more like -3% right now. I'm being pretty damn generous at 10%.
What kinda expenses do you think you're gonna have pulling in 7k a month post tax averaged over 7 years? 5k after student loans, 3k after mortgage/insurance/utilities, 1k after the "lifestyle", there's your 10k per year in savings.

Not that crazy is it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:02 am

Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:06 am

Why wasn't this blatantly racist asshole banned?

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:06 am

Not difficult to see why the OP was unsuccessful.

Also, lol @ a mortgage being a sunk cost and not included in a "net worth" calculation.

Also laughing at the assertion from a debt-riddled failure that the typical person shares his unsuccessful spending habits.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:07 am

eddietx12 wrote:
PSLaplace wrote:
Um, average national savings is nowhere close to 10%, its more like -3% right now. I'm being pretty damn generous at 10%.
What kinda expenses do you think you're gonna have pulling in 7k a month post tax averaged over 7 years? 5k after student loans, 3k after mortgage/insurance/utilities, 1k after the "lifestyle", there's your 10k per year in savings.

Not that crazy is it.
As long as I've got a roof over my head, food to eat, and plenty of blow and hookers, I'll be happy as a pig in shit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

leron

Bronze

Post by leron » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:08 am

your analysis wasn't perfect but made some sense until all of a sudden you threw out 90% expenses just so you could have the joy of saying 10% savings rate.

PLATONiC

Bronze

Post by PLATONiC » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:08 am

Seriously, what's up with the 50% income tax rate???

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:08 am

eddietx12 wrote:
PSLaplace wrote:

Not that crazy is it.
except 50% tax rate is stupid high, and if you're paying a mortgage you are putting the money into something with actual value - even if that value is falling.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:10 am

enygma wrote:
eddietx12 wrote:
PSLaplace wrote:

Not that crazy is it.
except 50% tax rate is stupid high, and if you're paying a mortgage you are putting the money into something with actual value - even if that value is falling.
i'm not positive, but i think when you add state and federal, california's top bracket it around 50%

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”