Careers in Conservative Groups Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
akarmenia1

New

Careers in Conservative Groups

Post by akarmenia1 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:02 pm

Being a conservative in academia is tough, and I'm concerned that most law schools won't work hard to help me find a job with a conservative political action firm. I've applied to the conservative schools, but I have been offered some scholarships at other schools that do not share my worldview. Anyone have any thoughts on working in the conservative world after graduation?

AngryAvocado

Silver

Re: Careers in Conservative Groups

Post by AngryAvocado » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:14 pm

akarmenia1 wrote:Being a conservative in academia is tough, and I'm concerned that most law schools won't work hard to help me find a job with a conservative political action firm. I've applied to the conservative schools, but I have been offered some scholarships at other schools that do not share my worldview. Anyone have any thoughts on working in the conservative world after graduation?
Law schools want their students to succeed, period. I sincerely doubt they'll avoid helping you because your political persuasion is different than theirs, unless (of course) you're the type of tool who desires nothing more to impose their ideology on everyone and everything. If that's the case, you're going to have more to worry about than just getting career support from your law school.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:19 pm

1. Go to Regent Law School.

2. Gun your way to mediocre 1L grades. Make each one of your peers strive to be as ideologically pure as you (they never will).

2. Secure a 2L summer internship at Focus on the Family http://www.focusonthefamily.com/ .

3. Graduate in the bottom quartile of your class (optional).

4. Secure a long term position at Focus on the Family.

5. Get arrested for molesting male interns/ feds find your huge stash of child pronz

6.?????

7. Become a special contributor on Fox News. Later on become Glenn Beck's fill-in.

8.???

9. Profit

mb88

Bronze

Post by mb88 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:16 pm

I think it depends entirely on what your definition of "conservative" is. If you mean conservative in the sense of less government, states' rights, and lower taxes, then I don't think you'll run into any problems at all. Just as a previous poster said: They want you to succeed. It makes them look better.

Now, if you mean "conservative" in the sense of "Jesus tells me to kill the gays!", well, then, I think you've got more to worry about than what your law school thinks.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:18 pm

akarmenia1 wrote:Being a conservative in academia is tough, and I'm concerned that most law schools won't work hard to help me find a job with a conservative political action firm. I've applied to the conservative schools, but I have been offered some scholarships at other schools that do not share my worldview. Anyone have any thoughts on working in the conservative world after graduation?
Don't get too hung up on on the general "worldview" of a school. As you have probably figured out, almost all of the schools are liberal. Instead, look at schools that have a couple of key conservative faculty. If you attend those schools, you can form relationships with those faculty, who will be able to help you out with landing a job in conservative PI.

In a way, the best combo for you is a very liberal school that has a couple of conservative faculty. Very few of the other students will be interested in working with those faculty, so you won't have much competition.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:22 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:1. Go to Regent Law School.

2. Gun your way to mediocre 1L grades. Make each one of your peers strive to be as ideologically pure as you (they never will).

2. Secure a 2L summer internship at Focus on the Family http://www.focusonthefamily.com/ .

5. Get arrested for molesting male interns/ feds find your huge stash of child pronz

6.?????

7. Become a special contributor on Fox News. Later on become Glenn Beck's fill-in.

8.???

9. Profit
Here is liberal "tolerance" (i.e. idiocy) on full display. Way to go, dunce!

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:02 pm

Don't worry about going to a school that's contrary to your worldview. Worry about getting into the best law school you can attend, do well there, and the rest will shake out.

I'm no hardcore conservative, but I'm a little right of most of my classmates at a fairly left-wing graduate institution. Believe me, I have gravitated towards the professors with similar ideological proclivities, and vice versa. It's like gravity.

Otherwise, join the Federalist Society once you get to law school, and take advantage of their network.

Out of curiosity ... when you say, "work with a conservative political action firm," give me an example of what you mean. What do you envision your job consisting of?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:14 pm

I don't really understand the conservative paranoia about law schools. Even if you go to the most liberal law school out there, the legal industry turns people into conservatives almost immediately after they graduate. They get out and suddenly want $160K/year, low taxes, and less guilt for taking the money instead of the morally rewarding work.

Seriously, though, most law schools probably won't work hard to find you a job with a conservative PAC because you can do that yourself. It's not like they're doing on-campus interviews with MoveOn.org either. If you want to do that kind of work that's outside the scope of what most schools focus on (firm placement, and if the school is large/prestigious enough, a separate PI division that focuses on criminal/gov't/indigency work). Left or right, there isn't that much help to get you into an organization that's overtly political in nature. You build those bridges yourself.

eudaimondaimon

New

Post by eudaimondaimon » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:31 pm

akarmenia1 wrote:Being a conservative in academia is tough...
I'd imagine being a conservative anywhere is tough, considering that reality has a well-known liberal bias.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:32 pm

What do you mean by this? You'll find conservatives throughout the legal and academic world. Are you looking for ideological homogeneity? I wouldn't worry about institutional persecution. That paranoia is baffling--perhaps it is an effect of the evangelical-Right's drive towards insulated separation? In any case, I agree with other posters; your school wants you to be successful.

An aside: I think political action committees will become increasingly unnecessary. See the recent Citizens United case.

mb88

Bronze

Post by mb88 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:23 pm

Rawlsian wrote:
What do you mean by this? You'll find conservatives throughout the legal and academic world. Are you looking for ideological homogeneity? I wouldn't worry about institutional persecution. That paranoia is baffling--perhaps it is an effect of the evangelical-Right's drive towards insulated separation? In any case, I agree with other posters; your school wants you to be successful.

An aside: I think political action committees will become increasingly unnecessary. See the recent Citizens United case.
I didn't even realize he used the term "worldview" until just now with it bolded.

That kind of changes things a little. "Conservative Worldview" is usually codeword for "Guns, Babies, Jesus!" If that's the case, the OP might be in trouble. At that level of education and academia, even the "conservative" professors are going to have a problem with that "worldview".

katjust

Bronze

Post by katjust » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:18 am

I go to one of the most liberal law schools. The people here really aren't so anti-conservative (at least in helping you find a job). Maybe I would not go around broadcasting you views everywhere, but you should be fine.

Join the Federalist Society and contact conservative or libertarian (depending on if you are of that persuasion) public interest firms or think tanks. There are a lot of them out there. I will be working with one this summer. As someone else said, it is up to you to do the legwork on this, because they don't really do OCI. However, many welcome interns/externs and even law clerks. The Heritage Foundation has law clerks for example. Just make sure you start looking for opportunities early in the first year.

Also, not all liberals are the same, they come in a wide variety, so not everyone at the law school will be in agreement with the views of a student just because that student is a liberal.

Neelio

Silver

Post by Neelio » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:25 am

6.?????

8.???

9. Profit
HAHAHA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ChrisC

New

Post by ChrisC » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:34 am

6.?????

8.???

9. Profit

Does anyone else find it lol-inducing that the most extreme socially conservative schools are also the shittiest?

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Post by insidethetwenty » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:44 am

eudaimondaimon wrote:
I'd imagine being a conservative anywhere is tough, considering that reality has a well-known liberal bias.
Depending on your definition of liberal, I'm going to say no. A classical liberal bias? Probably. A "progressive" bias? Not even close.

ViIIager

Bronze

Post by ViIIager » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:51 am

ChrisC wrote:

6.?????

8.???

9. Profit

Does anyone else find it lol-inducing that the most extreme socially conservative schools are also the shittiest?
Oh crap, now you did it. Pat Robertson is going to call Jesus to send an earthquake or hurricane towards the TLS servers. Hippies always gotta screw it up for the rest of us.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:23 am

ChrisC wrote:

6.?????

8.???

9. Profit

180? Thank the good lord you do not set the curve for the LSAT. 158 at best for that post.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:24 am

katjust wrote:I go to one of the most liberal law schools. The people here really aren't so anti-conservative (at least in helping you find a job). Maybe I would not go around broadcasting you views everywhere, but you should be fine.

Join the Federalist Society and contact conservative or libertarian (depending on if you are of that persuasion) public interest firms or think tanks. There are a lot of them out there. I will be working with one this summer. As someone else said, it is up to you to do the legwork on this, because they don't really do OCI. However, many welcome interns/externs and even law clerks. The Heritage Foundation has law clerks for example. Just make sure you start looking for opportunities early in the first year.

Also, not all liberals are the same, they come in a wide variety, so not everyone at the law school will be in agreement with the views of a student just because that student is a liberal.
Blatant anti-Liberty trolling.

The Kid

New

Post by The Kid » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:32 am

Rocketman11 wrote:Instead, look at schools that have a couple of key conservative faculty.
Could you mention some?

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:44 am

The Kid wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:Instead, look at schools that have a couple of key conservative faculty.
Could you mention some?
I didn't actually post that, you got your quotes mixed I think. But Notre Dame is a very strong school with conservative faculty. I think in most schools, however, you will be able to find at least 1 professor who is conservative amidst the sea of liberalism. Often those are the better mentorships anyway.

The Kid

New

Post by The Kid » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 am

Rocketman11 wrote:I didn't actually post that, you got your quotes mixed I think.
You're right. I'm sorry.
Rocketman11 wrote:you will be able to find at least 1 professor who is conservative amidst the sea of liberalism
I liked that.

But how are things like among the T14? Is Columbia the most liberal?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:15 am

The Kid wrote:
Could you mention some?
1. Start with BYU.
2. Look at the schools from whence Scalia, Thomas, and Alito pull their clerks.
3. Try to find "conservative" (whatever that means) professors you'd like to study with - check out the Volokh Conspiracy contributors.
4. Why go to a school that is ideologically homogeneous in a way that corresponds to your worldview? Some of the best professors I had were of opposite political beliefs.

eudaimondaimon

New

Post by eudaimondaimon » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:09 pm

insidethetwenty wrote:
eudaimondaimon wrote:
Depending on your definition of liberal, I'm going to say no. A classical liberal bias? Probably. A "progressive" bias? Not even close.
*cough* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSE_saVX_2A#t=3m9s

akarmenia1

New

Post by akarmenia1 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:47 pm

Thanks, guys. There was some useful stuff in there, of course mixed with the expected liberal "tolerance."

Someone asked what kind of place I am looking for. I am hoping to work either with a PAC or conservative PI firm such as the ACLJ.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:58 pm

akarmenia1 wrote:Thanks, guys. There was some useful stuff in there, of course mixed with the expected liberal "tolerance."

Someone asked what kind of place I am looking for. I am hoping to work either with a PAC or conservative PI firm such as the ACLJ.
Liberty, Regent, Pepperdine, or Baylor.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”