TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ken

Bronze

TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Post by Ken » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:49 pm

Dear TLS Members,

Happy New Year! I am looking to dramatically improve and expand TLS in 2010 and have hired a TLS member full-time and will be utilizing many TLS members part-time to help develop content and user experience for TLS members. While I have a lot of plans on what I want to do, I would appreciate any feedback on any content or improvements you would like to see done on TLS in the coming year. Thanks for making TLS an even better community.

Best regards,

Ken

OGR3

Silver

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Post by OGR3 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:53 pm

Although I'm done with LSAT prep, I'd like to see some sort of marketplace forum for old prep materials.

Also, some of the school profiles are out of date or severely biased, so I think it would be nice to have someone go through and update them.

Thanks for doing this!

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:55 pm

expand school profiles

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:57 pm

Fix the completely nonfunctional search system

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:58 pm

jayzon wrote:A Karma system, e.g. Reddit. Not only would it help filter the best responses, it would also track thread tangents.
We had this for like two days in '09 but then it went away and hasn't been seen since.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawoftheland

New

Post by lawoftheland » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:00 pm

I think it would be incredible if TLS could conduct chat sessions w/actual admissions reps from any participating law schools.

I've noticed several schools conduct their own version of this... and i'm sure TLS could reach out to several schools (most likely for a profit) who would love to meet/market to new potential students in this way.

Cheers

rapstar

Bronze

Post by rapstar » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:01 pm

I agree. The search system doesn't work well.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:06 pm

Require members to disclose what school they attend if they are current law students (or 0Ls, or practicing lawyers). This can be done at Registration for new members and at Logging on for current members. I would actually prefer members to use their real names to improve discourse (like here where I also contribute under my real name: http://board.crossfit.com/ , but I realize thismay be infeasible for TLS.

Pro-actively identify members who contribute regarding certain schools and ask them to contribute to the school profiles for their schools. Nobody is going to know a school better than a student currently enrolled in that school who has been there for at least a semester (for instance, I contribute to TLS regarding Southwestern and not much else).

Also, a requirement that every member be approved by a mod.
Last edited by Danteshek on Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:07 pm

I'm very much in favor of a marketplace not only for old LSAT prep materials, but also for used hornbooks, E&E books, primers, outlines, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:08 pm

rapstar wrote:I agree. The search system doesn't work well.
Searching by thread title and only showing thread titles in the result would be awesome.

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:10 pm

More on Search: If I search for something in quotation marks, it completely ignores the quotation marks and just searches for each word individually. This is a huge issue IMO.

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:10 pm

Inygma wrote:
Searching by thread title and only showing thread titles in the result would be awesome.
Going to jump on this bandwagon for sure.

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:27 pm

Thanks for the ideas. Clearly, we need to try to improve our search funcationality since there is so much good information buried in past posts. Please keep the ideas coming, thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:34 pm

Definately updated profiles (especially since this economy has changed a lot).

I really like the new in-depth view of the law schools that have been done on a few schools.

Not sure about this one exactly, but maybe an anonymous post/reply function for the Law School Students forum. This would allow us to learn more information without people having to fear/be paranoid of professors finding out who they are?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:39 pm

LawandOrder wrote:
jayzon wrote:A Karma system, e.g. Reddit. Not only would it help filter the best responses, it would also track thread tangents.
We had this for like two days in '09 but then it went away and hasn't been seen since.
Actually, if there was a way to make it work for individual posts, I might be on board. There could be an up vote and a down vote for each post. An up vote is +1 and a down vote is -1. After a post scores -3, it will be lightened to a gray and after -5, it could be hidden away where a poster would have to click to see it. There could possibly be somewhere on TLS that includes the highest rated posts of all time/this week/today which would probably include posts having really stellar career or LSAT advice.

The previous voting thing was grotesquely convoluted.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:40 pm

bees wrote:
Inygma wrote:
You can already search by thread title.

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:43 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
bees wrote:
Inygma wrote:
You can already search by thread title.
Didn't see that before, but you are correct. Thread title and showing just titles works.

The previous problem about using "quotes" in a search remains true, it does not work.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:56 pm

Additionally, we could stop treating Pithypike's epic LSAT prep post as if it were of equal value to the snarky comment I just made in another thread.
Ha I'm the guy who creepily asked on reddit if you posted here.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:15 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:
Actually, if there was a way to make it work for individual posts, I might be on board. There could be an up vote and a down vote for each post. An up vote is +1 and a down vote is -1. After a post scores -3, it will be lightened to a gray and after -5, it could be hidden away where a poster would have to click to see it. There could possibly be somewhere on TLS that includes the highest rated posts of all time/this week/today which would probably include posts having really stellar career or LSAT advice.

The previous voting thing was grotesquely convoluted.
I like this a lot. It's annoying to have to go back and search for your flying bears and giraffe's or dd's explanation of the rigor of the LGBTQ box.

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:32 pm

Allow us to list schools outside the T100 on the list of schools to which we've applied.
Last edited by twintipping_bumps on Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:33 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about being able to look at users' previous posts. It seems to breed stalkers.

Also, ratings for individual posts which correspond with a simple aggregate user rating would probably be cool.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:36 pm

paratactical wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about being able to look at users' previous posts. It seems to breed stalkers.
Please don't take this away!

This is the easiest way to find out if someone is trolling -- the benefits of not feeding the troll are far outweighed, IMO, by creeper potential.
Point taken. Carry on.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:39 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about being able to look at users' previous posts. It seems to breed stalkers.
It sounds like it would be a good mod-only option to have.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:55 pm

I think incorporating more realistic employment expectations into the school profiles would be useful. I haven't looked at the profiles in a couple months, but when I did they had really rosy views of the legal market. In contrast, we also have the forums. Giving a rundown of employment data over the previous few years could help a lot of people who don't have the patience to constantly check forums. IMO, the TLS forums (sadly) have some of the best information out there on the state of the legal market currently, and I think some of this information could help out more casual users.

I think at some point an idea was thrown around on the forums that TLS should try to pressure schools for better and more honest employment data on the most recent law school class and OCI. Perhaps giving employment data for a few years back in the profiles, and not only on the forums would help increase TLS's influence over the schools?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”