Washington and Lee Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
holybartender

Bronze

Re: Washington and Lee

Post by holybartender » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:56 pm

Decision reached; notification pending.
12/4/2009

GPA: 3.4
LSAT: 175

Good luck to everyone.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:08 pm

krispykitten wrote:
ruleser wrote:Wow, so even someone with about the same #'s who went complete 2 weeks after me got DS, as have the rest of you, while I sit complete 11/5 at a school that accepted me with $$$ last cycle. Um, think they're upset that I declined to reapply?
I don't know if you're talking about me or not, but if you are: my complete date is a little misleading. I had submitted it way way before the 11/18 date I mentioned, but in my infinite brilliance, I forgot to submit my personal statement. But I'm pretty sure they had already taken a look at my file, even sans statement. So, for all intents and purposes, my complete date is a little misleading.

Jeez, sorry that turned into a novel there. Anyway, hope it was helpful.
:) Thanks. It wasn't you, was another above poster. Lots of people who went complete after 11/5 where I'm at got their decisions today. I wondering if I should just withdraw - if they're holding a grudge about last year and so putting me off on the side, what's the point.

krispykitten

Bronze

Post by krispykitten » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:36 pm

ruleser wrote:
krispykitten wrote:
ruleser wrote:Wow, so even someone with about the same #'s who went complete 2 weeks after me got DS, as have the rest of you, while I sit complete 11/5 at a school that accepted me with $$$ last cycle. Um, think they're upset that I declined to reapply?
I don't know if you're talking about me or not, but if you are: my complete date is a little misleading. I had submitted it way way before the 11/18 date I mentioned, but in my infinite brilliance, I forgot to submit my personal statement. But I'm pretty sure they had already taken a look at my file, even sans statement. So, for all intents and purposes, my complete date is a little misleading.

Jeez, sorry that turned into a novel there. Anyway, hope it was helpful.
:) Thanks. It wasn't you, was another above poster. Lots of people who went complete after 11/5 where I'm at got their decisions today. I wondering if I should just withdraw - if they're holding a grudge about last year and so putting me off on the side, what's the point.
I really wouldn't do that. Honestly, I think they're just totally overwhelmed. I had called them to ask about why my file was considered incomplete and the girl who answered told me it was most likely just a clerical error and not to worry about it. 2 weeks later they got back to me and let me know I was missing my P.S. I think they're just totally overworked and understaffed. And I mean at this point, you may as well just wait it out and see what happens. They told me scholarships don't come out until Jan. so you'd be waiting until at least then to hear about money. (But yeah, I can imagine it's really frustrating not hearing when a good bit of us are, especially when this is clearly a safety for you. That sucks and it's not fair, but I wouldn't withdraw just yet :))

jss1100

Bronze

Post by jss1100 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:14 am

Current Status: Decision reached; notification pending.
Current Status Date: 12/4/2009

164/3.71

This will be my first decision. Very exciting.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:24 am

krispykitten wrote:I really wouldn't do that. Honestly, I think they're just totally overwhelmed. I had called them to ask about why my file was considered incomplete and the girl who answered told me it was most likely just a clerical error and not to worry about it. 2 weeks later they got back to me and let me know I was missing my P.S. I think they're just totally overworked and understaffed. And I mean at this point, you may as well just wait it out and see what happens. They told me scholarships don't come out until Jan. so you'd be waiting until at least then to hear about money. (But yeah, I can imagine it's really frustrating not hearing when a good bit of us are, especially when this is clearly a safety for you. That sucks and it's not fair, but I wouldn't withdraw just yet :))
Actually, maybe there is an explanation - I looked at the status checker and it says, "Current status date 11/5" for complete, but it says it sent the completed e-mail on 11/19/08 - which is when I got it. So I guess that means I'm complete 11/19 rather than 11/5 even though it lists that date - and I did just submit the application at the very end of October. So I guess that could explain it. Ok, time to relax a bit. :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:33 am

Decision reached! Hopefully my fourth acceptance! and not my second rejection...

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:04 pm

jss1100 wrote:Current Status: Decision reached; notification pending.
Current Status Date: 12/4/2009

164/3.71

This will be my first decision. Very exciting.
Very similar numbers 163/3.65 and I was complete early november but I submitted early october. I have no update. Is this a bad sign?

krispykitten

Bronze

Post by krispykitten » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:59 pm

Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:00 pm

krispykitten wrote:Just got the letter-- acceptance! Good luck guys!
Told you :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

krispykitten

Bronze

Post by krispykitten » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:01 pm

Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jsanchez13

New

Post by jsanchez13 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:30 pm

Wanted to give some people with "non-traditional" numbers some hope. Accepted to Washington and Lee with a 3.85 and a 153. I "visited" the school and talked with admissions. Its a great school and I am looking forward to attending.

jss1100

Bronze

Post by jss1100 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

jsanchez13 wrote:Wanted to give some people with "non-traditional" numbers some hope. Accepted to Washington and Lee with a 3.85 and a 153. I "visited" the school and talked with admissions. Its a great school and I am looking forward to attending.
URM?

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:37 pm

jsanchez13 wrote:Wanted to give some people with "non-traditional" numbers some hope. Accepted to Washington and Lee with a 3.85 and a 153. I "visited" the school and talked with admissions. Its a great school and I am looking forward to attending.
Well done

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:45 pm

jss1100 wrote:
URM?
J Sanchez? Probably.

jsanchez13

New

Post by jsanchez13 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:47 pm

Non-traditional applicant, military 20+ years, Infantry/Special Operations, varied and interesting jobs and experiences. Good LOR from people who know me well (1 x professor/British Consular, 1 x military SJA who served in infantry with me before going law, current boss)

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:48 pm

These are probably better than a URM boost. Well done.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:00 am

jsanchez13 wrote:Non-traditional applicant, military 20+ years, Infantry/Special Operations, varied and interesting jobs and experiences. Good LOR from people who know me well (1 x professor/British Consular, 1 x military SJA who served in infantry with me before going law, current boss)

Damn dude, you clearly deserved it. Congrats!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

misformafia

New

Post by misformafia » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:34 am

Congrats man (or woman).

Unadilla Kayaker

Bronze

Post by Unadilla Kayaker » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:45 am

ntzsch wrote:damn, it is hard out here for a 3.88/164 20 year old who went complete 11/13.
Seriously, like I'm gonna compare myself to a guy who did special ops and was in the military for 20 years. I'd actually lose respect for the school if they rejected you. Congrats on the acceptance jsanchez, W&L is lucky to have you! Are you applying to any "better" schools? I think your background would allow you to ignore the numbers the rest of us cling to about decisions. Just a thought and thanks for your service.

Unadilla Kayaker

Bronze

Post by Unadilla Kayaker » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:29 am

ntzsch wrote:i am not the guy with the incredible softs, dont know why i am quoted here.
That is a good question. I think I was agreeing with you that the guy was pretty different and had good softs. Sorry for the confusion in quoting. I'm sure you're incredible too.

clwilson6

Bronze

Post by clwilson6 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:24 pm

jsanchez13 wrote:Non-traditional applicant, military 20+ years, Infantry/Special Operations, varied and interesting jobs and experiences. Good LOR from people who know me well (1 x professor/British Consular, 1 x military SJA who served in infantry with me before going law, current boss)
Congratulations, my numbers aren't quite as good as yours (151, 3.23) and I got accepted to W&L also. My military record is much like yours (almost 20 years, infantry/artillery and currently paralegal working as office manager for a Marine Corps Judge Advocate, LOR's from three Judge Advocate's that I work/worked for and base commander). It seems either W&L are giving much love to military veterans or the work and leadership experience is the motivating factor. Either way, I wasn't going to apply to W&L because my numbers were so bad (even though military service affected my study for LSAT and GPA) until they sent me a package asking me to apply and offering me a fee waiver. Why did you chose to apply?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jsanchez13

New

Post by jsanchez13 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:09 pm

I targeted W&L because of their approach to building lawyers...ethical and value oriented. To tell you the truth, the honor code and their atmosphere of congeniality impressed me the most.

I think the most important thing I did was to visit the campus, and meet with the admissions people. They could get to know me outside of a resume and the required paperwork. I think people matter there. For those not accepted yet or trying to get in, I would schedule a trip. I think it would help.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:09 pm

jsanchez13 wrote:I targeted W&L because of their approach to building lawyers...ethical and value oriented. To tell you the truth, the honor code and their atmosphere of congeniality impressed me the most.

I think the most important thing I did was to visit the campus, and meet with the admissions people. They could get to know me outside of a resume and the required paperwork. I think people matter there. For those not accepted yet or trying to get in, I would schedule a trip. I think it would help.
Really, do you think it makes that big of a difference? I visited W&M and so far it hasn't gotten me anywhere.

jsanchez13

New

Post by jsanchez13 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:33 pm

I think a positive visit with genuine interest in the school really means alot since they admit such a small class. I wouldn't bug them too much, but hit them up professionally and memorably.

When I visited the school, I treated it like an interview. I also sent a resume with my request for a visit and "meeting with admissions."

Wore a suit, had prepared questions, and initiated discussions on why I wanted to attend W&L and what I felt I could contribute to the school. I sent a hand-written thank you note following my visit, and received one from them as well.

I was only able to visit my top choices for schools due to my limited time so I wanted it to count.

Wishing you the best of luck, keep at it and good things always happen.

Unadilla Kayaker

Bronze

Post by Unadilla Kayaker » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:36 pm

ntzsch wrote:i question your judgement then.
You would not be the first.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”