Transferring From ST Johns Law

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
DCarolloLaw

Transferring From ST Johns Law

Postby DCarolloLaw » Sat May 09, 2009 6:00 pm

Hi All,

I wanted to see what my chances are to transfer to a top law school from St Johns School of Law fter completion of my first year. I am ranked #4 in the class and have a 3.71 GPA. I am looking for schools on the east coast where I would be a competitive applicant. My LSAT score is low 159. Just wanted to see what the best potential law schools I would have a chance at would be.

Thanks

Cupcake

Re: Transferring From ST Johns Law

Postby Cupcake » Sat May 09, 2009 6:23 pm

Last year, some kid ranked 21st at St. John's transferred to UCLA (see link below). At number 4, I imagine your chances are pretty solid (regardless of your LSAT) at schools ranked 20 and lower. I say you're rocking Fordham maroon next year.

However, the lack of data makes predicting transfers difficult, and the data that is available illustrates the erratic cycles of transfer applicants.

Check out the Yahoo "transferapps" group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/). This is the only reference site I know of, but it can give you a vague standard to measure yourself by.

monkeywrench

Postby monkeywrench » Sat May 09, 2009 6:24 pm

There isn't much data on this. Your best bet would be to just try. I dont think your chances are too outrageous, but i am just a figment of the your imagination/internet.

I do know for a fact that 2 years ago someone attending hofstra law (being a similarly ranked NY institution) successfully transferred into columbia law. not sure of rank, but im assuming pretty high.

also depends on where you would like to go.

just try and maybe check out the yahoo group transferapps

*edit, beaten to the punch

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat May 09, 2009 7:18 pm

Outside of HYS, your LSAT will not matter. Fordham would love you, and I would toss them an app, but you can aim higher: Columbia and NYU might bite. I would say to hit up any T14s you are fond of below the top three, and schools in the Fordham/BC/BU/Emory range. I hear Vandy is also very nice, if you would go to TN.

Congratulations on a GPA most of us would kill their grandparents for.

jk about the grandparents!

DCarolloLaw

Postby DCarolloLaw » Sat May 09, 2009 8:50 pm

Thanks to all of you for your posts. I am def going to be sending out apps to all the prominent NYC schools to see what happens.

braves12867

Postby braves12867 » Sun May 10, 2009 7:34 am

I would say top 20-30, I am sure GW is looking for transfers now

jewtangclan03

Postby jewtangclan03 » Sun May 10, 2009 7:39 am

Likely St. John's 0L here-- congrats on a 1L well done. I would truly love to be in your position next year.

This is what I'd do if I were you-- I'd blanket the top 6 law schools, plus UVA and Cornell. If none of them bite, I'd stay where you're at, and enjoy law review/moot court and the great opportunities youll get from the top of your class. You would be INSANE to give up your spot just to start all over again at Fordham.

Also, with your 159 it is unlikely you got the huge scholarship offer from St. John's that many TLSers recieve. I suggest talking to the financial aid office to see if your award can be increased for next year.

Congrats, again. As they say on JDU, you won the lottery. So enjoy it, and don't give it up for nothing!

ridiculous

Postby ridiculous » Sun May 10, 2009 10:55 am

CONGRATULATIONS

I would definitely apply t14 and blanket them. Who knows, there is not enough information out there on transfers to accurately make a choice. But being mr 4 is solid, and I think you can definitely get into a very very good law school. Congratulations on a job well done. I hear that the johhnies law school realllllly works the students.

Postby 06072010 » Sun May 10, 2009 10:59 am

blanket the t14 brosef, you'll likely end up T-10, and you'll probably make NYU/Columbia. I'm a T50 to Mich transfer and got into Columbia with a similar rank as you. Congrats on a balling first year.

Postby 06072010 » Sun May 10, 2009 11:01 am

ridiculous wrote:CONGRATULATIONS

I would definitely apply t14 and blanket them. Who knows, there is not enough information out there on transfers to accurately make a choice. But being mr 4 is solid, and I think you can definitely get into a very very good law school. Congratulations on a job well done. I hear that the johhnies law school realllllly works the students.

There is a metric fuckton of transfer data over at the yahoo group "transfer apps" Search the forums for PKSebben's Transfer FAQ for more info. I just got up or I'd link you.

ridiculous

Postby ridiculous » Sun May 10, 2009 11:05 am

touche

Postby 06072010 » Sun May 10, 2009 11:08 am

ridiculous wrote:touche

I just think people forget about the transfer apps database. I wish the search function didn't suck here or I'd be way more motivated to find the links. :)

Return to “What are my chances?”