Wait a year or apply now?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MCWoodhill

New

Wait a year or apply now?

Postby MCWoodhill » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:42 am

Hey guys last time I posted I got a decent score in March it was 170 for your record. I tried to get a better one yesterday but kinda bombed at the LG part which actually has always been my strength.

First a minor question: should I keep the score if I’m not very confident I can do better than 170? But I felt really strong with LR and RC this time. I got 165 few years ago. Does the highest one count or average?

Most importantly, should I wait and retake next year if I aim for T14 or T6. My target is Columbia or NYU. I’ve received fee waivers from UPenn, Cornell and NW. I just really wanna join a NY biglaw after graduation, that is. The key is I’m 38 already. Can I still wait? I’m really sure I can do better if I retake.

Well, to recap, my brief background: Chinese diplomat, 38, GPA S (3.84), 165(2016)—170(2019)

Ystone97

New

Re: Wait a year or apply now?

Postby Ystone97 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:42 pm

170 is a great score for T14. Honestly, if you think you can get over a 170, go ahead and retake, BUT with your numbers right now, you'll be a good candidate at schools like NYU, Michigan, Duke, and Northwestern, which all place pretty well in NY biglaw. A scholarship at these schools might be tough though, and you may have to pay sticker which can be risky.

Average LSAT does not matter, only highest. Also, the earlier in a cycle you apply, the better your chances, so keep that in mind if you decide to retake.

kinge

New

Postby kinge » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:29 pm

What was your spread for the test where you got 170? If you did better in PTs, you could consider retaking. 170 is a decent score though, especially with your good GPA.

I don't think law firms will care if they're hiring you at age 42 rather than age 41. Starting biglaw at 41 sounds pretty miserable though.

DOJ1111

New

Postby DOJ1111 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:45 am

Your numbers are great. If you write a great personal statement I don't see why you wouldn't get into most schools on your list. If you do decide to wait a year, I would use the time to work on the PS and commit to submitting your apps on Sept 15 for the next cycle.

Return to “What are my chances??