Wait a year or apply now?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:38 am

Wait a year or apply now?

Postby MCWoodhill » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:42 am

Hey guys last time I posted I got a decent score in March it was 170 for your record. I tried to get a better one yesterday but kinda bombed at the LG part which actually has always been my strength.

First a minor question: should I keep the score if I’m not very confident I can do better than 170? But I felt really strong with LR and RC this time. I got 165 few years ago. Does the highest one count or average?

Most importantly, should I wait and retake next year if I aim for T14 or T6. My target is Columbia or NYU. I’ve received fee waivers from UPenn, Cornell and NW. I just really wanna join a NY biglaw after graduation, that is. The key is I’m 38 already. Can I still wait? I’m really sure I can do better if I retake.

Well, to recap, my brief background: Chinese diplomat, 38, GPA S (3.84), 165(2016)—170(2019)


Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:04 pm

Re: Wait a year or apply now?

Postby Ystone97 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:42 pm

170 is a great score for T14. Honestly, if you think you can get over a 170, go ahead and retake, BUT with your numbers right now, you'll be a good candidate at schools like NYU, Michigan, Duke, and Northwestern, which all place pretty well in NY biglaw. A scholarship at these schools might be tough though, and you may have to pay sticker which can be risky.

Average LSAT does not matter, only highest. Also, the earlier in a cycle you apply, the better your chances, so keep that in mind if you decide to retake.


Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:36 pm

Re: Wait a year or apply now?

Postby kinge » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:29 pm

What was your spread for the test where you got 170? If you did better in PTs, you could consider retaking. 170 is a decent score though, especially with your good GPA.

I don't think law firms will care if they're hiring you at age 42 rather than age 41. Starting biglaw at 41 sounds pretty miserable though.


Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:34 am

Re: Wait a year or apply now?

Postby DOJ1111 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:45 am

Your numbers are great. If you write a great personal statement I don't see why you wouldn't get into most schools on your list. If you do decide to wait a year, I would use the time to work on the PS and commit to submitting your apps on Sept 15 for the next cycle.

Return to “What are my chances??

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests