Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Postby mojie » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Hey all!
I got my results yesterday and while I have already applied to basically all the Canadian schools, I'm wondering if it would be worth it in your opinion to apply to any of the t14 schools. I'm not a super remarkable candidate (applying straight out of school, no diversity/aboriginal status, and a solid but not overly exciting resume), and because it's so expensive I'd rather avoid applying to schools I have no shot at. Any input would be appreciated!
ETA: I'm a female Poli Sci major/ Econ minor at a middle of the road Canadian university. I was a professional athlete during high school but not since then, and have been TA-ing a few courses at a nearby college (Canadian-style college, as opposed to a university).
The Ontario application system was really simple, and I know quite a bit about our schools up here, but I'm really lost when it comes to the states, especially re:funding! I'm in that awkward spot where my family makes too much to qualify for aid, but not enough to be able to afford full US tuition outright and my parents won't consider co-signing a loan for an American school if I get into a good Canadian one.

Re: 3.72/175

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:08 pm

Apply to T6. You're in at CCN, some chance at Harvard

Re: 3.72/175

Postby hcrimson2014 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:50 pm

As a Canadian to another, do not go to an American school unless you are absolutely certain that you want to practice and live in the US for at least the next decade. The NCA is a pain in the ass and even if you come out of YALE, you will still need to spend a year full time preparing for the exams. (A harvard grad who clerked for chief justice Mclachlin spent a whole year to do the same because of the difficulty of the exam) That automatically is a year worth of loss in earning potential. Also Canadian pays are coordinated with Canadian law school costs!!! You will not get 6 figures out of school unless you get into bay street big law and even then, you earn 50k less than american big law and face a higher tax margin in Canada, so good luck paying off that American debt. If you want to practice in Canada, go to UBC or Osgood or Mcgill if you are fluent in french for the cheaper price (~11k/~20k compared to UofT's 28k. If you absolutely want the prestige, Toronto is still waaaaay better than the 50k+ for the American schools that you are looking at) and they offer you equal if not better employment prospect than CCN as the legal market in Canada is a lot less saturated than what they have down south. If you are uncertain which side of the border you would like to practice in, you need to realize that big law is your only option in the USA because of the sponsorship issue with the green card (even top boutiques do not offer sponsorship) and you are disadvantaged in the hiring process as a foreigner. Also even if you think you might want to practice in the US further down your career, you can sit for the bar in NY and Cal and Mass with a Canadian degree and once you have passed one American bar, you are qualified to take most of the other state bars.

Return to “What are my chances?”