Prelaw Statistics Tool for BYU

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Prelaw Statistics Tool for BYU

Postby kaseyb002 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:37 pm

While working at my prelaw office at BYU, I often had to make statistical reports about BYU students who have applied to law school. For some examples of what these reports looked like, and what other prelaw offices do, you can see the links below.

Eventually, I took it upon myself to try and make a tool that could search through this incredibly valuable data in a more dynamic fashion. It ended up turning into part of my Capstone project for my master's program.

Here's what the tool does:
It reports on volunteered application data from students who graduated from BYU undergrad and have applied to law school. It includes matcher, predictor (using a logistic regression), and a general year-by-year trend searching tool.

Even though this only includes BYU undergrad data, I imagine this would still be relevant for most students.

Prelaw stats examples

Michigan ... statistics

Penn State ... t_2011.pdf

Kansas ... 0-2011.pdf

The volunteered data rate is roughly 75% of all applicants, although that number has increased sharply in recent years - something like 95%.

Toby Ziegler

Re: Prelaw Statistics Tool for BYU

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:02 pm

This is great! Excellent work.

Re: Prelaw Statistics Tool for BYU

Postby wbaseball4ever » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:48 am

That's really impressive! I first discovered that buried in

Return to “What are my chances?”