166/2.99- Retake or apply?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:04 pm

166/2.99- Retake or apply?

Postby lucabrasi09 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:14 pm

I will try to keep this short. I took the LSAT in December, scored a 151 which was 7-8 points less than what I was scoring on my PTs. I took it again in June, got a 166. I missed a few I should not have missed, and I am still weak on LR (38/50) since I concentrated mostly on LG for that gain but I think I can get at least 5-6 more on LR. Anyways, I am debating on whether I should retake in October to try and get into the 170s or whether taking it a third time in less than a year will not look good while applying.

More background, went to University of San Diego, graduated with a 2.99 cumulative and a 3.5 in International Relations. Definitely an upward curve, I was working 35+ hours a week my first and second year as team manager for the basketball team and travelling every other weekend with them so I did not do as well as I should have in school. Since graduating in ‘09, I have been working at a law firm. Started as a file clerk but was promoted after 11 months to paralegal for the senior partner and have been working in that position since. Have letters of rec from two partners here and a professor. Also have been volunteering for a domestic violence project helping abused women and men file TRO’s.

Q: Should I retake fr a 3rd time in October with the hope of scoring in the 170s and using that score for the current cycle? What would a 172-173 do for my chances at a top 20 school? I will have all my application stuff ready by the time I would get the score so I can apply as early as possible. If I stay with my current score, what schools should I seriously look at? I would like to stay in CA but am open to moving anywhere if the school is worth it. With my current score I am looking at Hastings, Loyola, Pepperdine, and USD, but would like to move up to the UCLA, USC, and Davis.
Last edited by lucabrasi09 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: 166/2.99- Retake or apply?

Postby dstars823 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:17 pm

career goals? where would you like to work?

Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: 166/2.99- Retake or apply?

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:51 pm

Retake for 170+.

Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: 166/2.99- Retake or apply?

Postby nebula666 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:21 pm

You should retake a third time regardless but this really depends on whether or not you want biglaw.

If you don't, I'd take the best CA school with under $50k debt.

If you do want biglaw, you will need over 170 to break into NU and Georgetown. Will be 50/50 or worse at UCLA and USC.

User avatar
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: 166/2.99- Retake or apply?

Postby unclepete » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Similar stats (3.2, 167) from a SD UG. I applied this year, so you can use me as a comparison. No luck at USC/UCLA, and had to decide on paying a ton of $ for Davis and Hastings, since they're mostly need-based aid. Decided neither of those are worth it, so if you're CA or bust and are depending on loans, you should retake for a shot at UCLA/USC.

Feel free to PM me for more info.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: 166/2.99- Retake or apply?

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:11 pm

Retake. You won't get into any school worth attending at the price you'll have to pay with those numbers.

Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: 166/2.99- Retake or apply?

Postby lucabrasi09 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:17 pm

I have always thought I would like to work at JAG, for a midsized firm, or something in government, but would eventually like to end up in the SoCal area. I work at a mid-sized firm and could probably get a job here no matter where I go, but I don't see myself staying here long term and they don't really do a good job of training new attorneys. I can see myself working in a similar sized firm in a different area of law.

I have been starting to look more into biglaw. I like the money and could probably handle the hours, I just don't know how the fiancee would like it. But I think either way I want to shoot for the best school so my options are open. I just was unsure of how schools would look at a third test vs. scoring higher, but it seems like the consensus is scoring higher outweighs taking it a third time.

Any advice on improving LR?

Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest