4.0 165 ED Chicago

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hopefulapp

4.0 165 ED Chicago

Postby hopefulapp » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:15 am

Interned with senate
Interned with bank
Very little interesting extracurics.
I am from a very remote location (think wyoming)

Any chances at ED Chicago? I realize most will say retake and while that is great advice I won't be doing it for personal reasons.

Are my chances greater than 20% to justify paying app fee?

WokeUpInACar

Re: 4.0 165 ED Chicago

Postby WokeUpInACar » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:17 am

hopefulapp wrote:Interned with senate
Interned with bank
Very little interesting extracurics.
I am from a very remote location (think wyoming)

Any chances at ED Chicago? I realize most will say retake and while that is great advice I won't be doing it for personal reasons.

Are my chances greater than 20% to justify paying app fee?

You do not have a good enough reason to not retake the LSAT. I promise.

hopefulapp

Postby hopefulapp » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:24 am

I know what you're thinking, and you're right if I was being completely rational I would start studying now, but I just have too much on my plate right now.

Also, there a chance in hell of money @ Boalt?

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:33 am

hopefulapp wrote:I know what you're thinking, and you're right if I was being completely rational I would start studying now, but I just have too much on my plate right now.

Whenever it is that you cease to have too much on your plate, take the LSAT then. Law school isn't going anywhere, and deciding to limit your career options and/or going hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt instead of just studying for the damn thing for a few months is an objectively horrible decision. Don't waste the GPA you worked 4 years to earn by being stubborn and shortsighted.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:37 am

hopefulapp wrote:I know what you're thinking, and you're right if I was being completely rational I would start studying now, but I just have too much on my plate right now.

If you're too busy with other important things, then law school can and should wait. You are essentially lighting tens of thousands of dollars (or more) on fire by rushing into law school, when a higher LSAT score could translate into $$ at CCN.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:47 am

Just a couple of very recent retaking success stories. Nothing you possibly could do would yield a greater return on your investment of time spent than studying for the LSAT. HYS or a T10 school with a full scholarship is well within your reach, don't blow it.
darkgrayclouds wrote:Last year I faced a tough decision. Attend a T6 school with a very small scholarship, or sit out a year, retake the LSAT, and shoot for better outcomes. This is what resulted:

2011-2012 Cycle: 163 LSAT
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mishap

2012-2013 Cycle: 163/165/176 LSAT
lawschoolnumbers.com/try%20again

I hope this can help someone who is struggling with the same situation that I faced last year. Retaking the LSAT was one of the best decision I ever made.

CaptainLeela wrote:Hi! In 2011 I was staring down the barrel of going to Temple and/or riding out a bunch of waitlists or reapplying.

Now, I'm trying to decide between Duke & Michigan. Or maybe Northwestern or Penn if I get lucky off of holds/waitlists. Guess how fucking happy I am that I found TLS and people talked to me about waiting a few years?! SO FUCKING HAPPY!

Please feel free to PM me, but seriously, that's an enormous waste, as others have said. I've been in those exact shoes and waiting was 1000% the right decision. I don't have enough good things to say about reapplying.

CaptainLeela wrote:I think for a lot of people it's the idea of deviating off a "path" they've set for themselves is terrifying. And they've told people! Erh mah gerd, what will the masses think?! You see a lot of "I have to go now" on here, but I've never seen a single situation where I thought that was true.

Did it suck telling people I wasn't actually going to law school? Yes. Did people give me a hard time about it...with varying degrees of humor...? Absolutely. Do I enjoy having spent 2 more years of my life as a cocktail waitress/shitlaw paralegal? Of course not.

But at the end of the day, you have to look at cost benefit of your choices. I have 2 mediocre years and some mild social discomfort as a trade off for enormous career gains. Temple was never ever going to take me where I want to go or where I am capable of going, which was unacceptable to me. So I took a deep breath, kept working, reapplied, and now have awesome options. At the end of the day, if you don't have the maturity to see that trade-off, I'm not sure you're ready for law school anyway.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:03 pm

I had a 4.0 and a 168, retook because of TLS mantra and got 175.

I got a full scholly to a school I would not have even gotten into previously. Retaking ended up being a $154,000 decision.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:52 pm

TripTrip wrote:I had a 4.0 and a 168, retook because of TLS mantra and got 175.

I got a full scholly to a school I would not have even gotten into previously. Retaking ended up being a $154,000 decision.

Whatever. If you had actually listened to TLS way back then you would have just EDed UVA and called it a cycle.

But seriously, thank you for your testimonial. As another retake success story I also say retake.

And OP, you probably won't get into Berkeley.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:23 am

FFS, please retake.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:23 am

I went from long shot at t14 to uva and nyu with $$$. Retake. Your personal reasons are stupid unless your aunt was killed by the lsat and the experience itself is now traumatic. Then again, you would have vengeance as a reason to retake...

The only excuse to not retaking is you've done it three times and can't take it again.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:23 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:The only excuse to not retaking is you've done it three times and can't take it again.

Then the appropriate answer would be wait a year and gain WE before retaking.

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:34 pm

I agree with the above posters...

You are extremely unlikely to get into Chicago ED.

And these are your general T14 chances as they stand:

An ED to Penn or UVA would get you in.

But let's imagine that you retake, and get even ONE more point.

All of the sudden your chances at Chicago - REGULAR decision - are looking up.

How about three more points?

Scholarships all over the T14.

If you hit the magical 170?

You might be deciding between HYS and CCN with a scholarship.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

Return to “What are my chances?”