177 LSAT/2.5 gpa someone please answer

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tiffanyrussell10

177 LSAT/2.5 gpa someone please answer

Postby tiffanyrussell10 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:27 pm

graduated from high school back in 2005 and I didnt begin undergrad with the mindset that I would go on to law school upon graduation.everything up with so many non-punitive W's? The only promising thing I have is the 177 LSAT score. Please help me somebody...
Last edited by tiffanyrussell10 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

bizzybone1313

Re: 177 LSAT/2.5 gpa someone please answer

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:47 pm

2 years of LSAT studying? How many total hours do you think you studied for the LSAT? That's impressive.

nba101790

Postby nba101790 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:54 pm

tiffanyrussell10 wrote:graduated from high school back in 2005 and I didnt begin undergrad with the mindset that I would go on to law school upon graduation. Law School has been my interest only within the last two years. As I said, I began my undergraduate career in 2005, so when I graduated this May, that will mark 8 years that I've been in undergrad. I have had a host of medical issues since I began college, consisting of a bout with cancer, and I have successfully beat cancer. I have studied two years for the LSAT and received a 177 score. My gpa is abysmal at 2.53. My gpa doesnt reflect my full potential because I was battling cancer. I do however, have a 2 year upward trend in grades (4.0 for 4 semesters).

So here are my stats: 177 LSAT, 2.53 gpa (2 year 4.0 upward trend) and around 50 non-punitive course withdrawals from withdrawing from a great deal of semesters.

Would any halfway decent school take a chance on me, or have a screwed everything up with so many non-punitive W's? The only promising thing I have is the 177 LSAT score. Please help me somebody...

Let me make sure I'm reading this right. You have two years of uninterrupted studying where you've maintained a 4.0? Coupled with your LSAT score, I'd think that a strong addendum (buttressed by your very excusable withdrawals) alongside a statement from a school administrator attesting to your character and abilities would suffice to really help you get in to some T-14 schools.

Lots of people have low GPAs for a variety of reasons; cancer seems to be a pretty forgivable one, at least in my opinion, and I'd hope that admissions offices tend to concur.

law2015

Postby law2015 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:05 pm

The non punitive withdrawals will not have any effect however the GPA will. I still think you have a shot at schools like
Georgetown and maybe Virginia with an ED and Northwestern if you get work experience. Other than that you will get solid schools to bite outside the T14, probably with scholarship. That LSAT score is impressive! Best of luck with the apps.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Congrats on your LSAT score, OP... that's incredibly impressive. I tend to think you have a decent shot at several T-14s, as long as you write a compelling addendum about your cancer battle affecting your GPA. It could even turn out to be a powerful and inspirational PS, if you choose that direction.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:13 pm

OP I am aware of at least one other person on TLS who had a sub-3.0 for similar reasons and got into NYU. It can be done, as adcoms seem to take medical issues seriously when it comes to GPA addenda.

Postby 052220151 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:28 pm

As worm said, try and get some of those grades changed to P/F or taken off. Do it in person. That 177 is money though. You should still be able to snag 1 or 2 t14 admissions as they are hungry to keep up their medians, and in your case, their 75% marks. Apply NYU down through Cornell, I'm sure you'll get a bite.

Important questions: do you have work experience, are you an URM?

ETA: You should also be able to get some good money out of your local schools. Your situation isn't ideal, but not the worst. A big poster on this site, got into several t14 with a gpa slightly better than yours, and a 176.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:31 pm

I'd apply to CCN and below + UT, Vandy, USC/UCLA and UMN. I think you'll get a couple of them to bite.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:52 pm

Wormfather wrote:If you had some medical issues, I would see if I can get some of the F's removed and some of the D and C's changed to pass/fail. Get your documents together and take a trip to see your registrar. There have been instances of this happening here on TLS.

Dont email or call, registrars are notorious for just auto-denying any request that comes that way. You need to sit down and actually talk to a person. If they look you in the eye and see that your not bullshitting and that your excusable past is preventing you from having a bright(er) future, they may bend the rules. Also, mention that with your LSAT you should be looking at schools like Harvard, Yale and Stanford but....

I know this sounds like a long shot, but not as long as you think it is and at the end of the day, what do you have to lose?

Edit: Here's the mylsn for your numbers http://myLSN.info/8ydt8e. There's not many data points for such an extreme splitter, but I can say that with the exception of NU, you're almost certainly out at the T14.

OP - Do this

if not, write an addendum and, if i were you, go to CLS and NYU in person on a weekday and meet with an adcom and say hello and explain what's up. I know the CLS adcoms are usually around and you can meet with them and they are interested in hearing. It may seem extreme, but you have a story to tell and it's worth being heard.

edit - i say cls/ nyu because geographically it's one trip / day and they're both realistic with that lsat / gpa

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:53 pm

nebula666 wrote:I'd apply to CCN and below + UT, Vandy, USC/UCLA and UMN. I think you'll get a couple of them to bite.

I agree, I would expect UMN to give you atleast 100k. Others would find it hard to pass up on that LSAT. I think your first goal is to try to get some of the low grades removed. I would also like to congratulate you on beating cancer(which could make a nice PS or DS :) ) I would imagine if any addendum would be held credible by adcomms it would be one dealing with a topic such as that. I for one think you should look at Berkeley. They seem to have the most holistic approach to a candidate, and they love touching stories

steelythews

Postby steelythews » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:42 pm

Last edited by steelythews on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:38 pm

steelythews wrote:Berkeley claims to have a holistic approach but their numbers certainly don't reflect that. They admit very few non-URM splitters.

Your evidence does not necessarily support your conclusion. Berkeley places a high value on GPA, but their admissions approach is "holistic" in that there's a much lower correlation between numbers and admissions decisions than with any other T14 but YLS and SLS. Having a holistic admissions process does not mean ignoring applicant numbers; it just means that non-numerical factors (PS, WE, LORs, etc.) receive greater than normal weight. You might need to meet a minimum numbers threshold, but, whereas this means strong chances for admission at many T14 schools, it merely means that your app will meets the threshold for deeper consideration at Y, S, and B. The T14 schools that admit numerous non-URM splitters are not engaging in "holistic" admissions practices -- they're gaming the numbers for USNWR rankings. (I'll let Northwestern off the hook here a bit, since they are unusual in requiring work experience.)

Anyway, this is veering off-topic. Best of luck to you, OP. If there were ever a completely legitimate excuse for a low GPA, you certainly have it. As others have said, find out if any retroactive change to your grades is possible -- and be hardheaded about it if necessary. Go up the chain of command until you have a clear answer one way or the other. However that turns quest out, blanket the T14. I have to think someone will be willing to look past your cumulative GPA, in light of what you've been through.

Return to “What are my chances?”