2.95 in hard major, 161, 164.. where can i go?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
twostep08

2.95 in hard major, 161, 164.. where can i go?

Postby twostep08 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:46 am

im beginning to be a little discouraged on even going to law school with what i hear about the postgrad employment .. anyways, the GPA is low because i'm a biomedical engineering major (with a minor in materials science & engineering)- i could get a 4.0 in political science with my eyes closed, so i hope schools take into account the differences in majors. on the lsat's i didn't study at all the first time (last year, when i wasnt sure about law school) apart from taking a proctored practice test a few weeks prior. i got a 161, so decided to take it again and really try for a better score. the second time i met this girl a little before the test, so i literally didnt study at all and still beat my first score and got a 164 on 2 hours of sleep, go figure.

anyways, i was thinking of just applying to UCONN, my state school which i figured will be the best value. but like i said, ive heard unless you go to a top school, employment is very difficult. also, i would kind of like to test the job market in my BME field as well (and ive heard i cant work at all while in law school?)

i copied this from below as it probably makes more sense up here- heres my stats
-2.95 GPA (3.25ish in my major), its just brought down by the orgo's and anatomy's and multivariable caluluses - basically the weedout classes of each respective department (unfortunately, i have to take literally all of them)
-major in biomedical engineering, concentration in biomaterials, minor in materials science
-161 and 164 LSAT score
-i worked as an innercity high school math tutor my freshman year (it turned out that i worked for a convicted felon, and i singlehandedly put a stop to him scamming kids and families- this was like my first major exposure to the legal sytem; i feel i could write a bangin essay about that)
-i currently am a certified high school football ref (not sure if this is big or not or i could incorporate it into my essay, but i know alot of professional refs are also lawyers and theres obv a conenction with rules of a sport to the legal system)
-i am a department supervisor for my on-campus job
-i did cutting-edge research with fuel cells my sophomore year (it wasnt anything amazing, but i could make it sound very good)
-my senior project deals with lengthening the lifespan of human skin working at a local hospital (and is potentially going to yield a patentable design, along with a published scientific journal article)
- no summer internship because i changed majors 3 times, so i was left playing catchup over the summer (im graduating with over 160 credits); also this forced me to take some semesters of 20 credits..
Last edited by twostep08 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Re: 2.95 in hard major, 161, 164.. where can i go?

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:56 am

twostep08 wrote:i hope schools take into account the differences in majors. on the lsat's i didn't study at all the first time (last year, when i wasnt sure about law school) apart from taking a proctored practice test a few weeks prior. i got a 161, so decided to take it again and really try for a better score. the second time i met this girl a little before the test, so i literally didnt study at all and got a 164.

Don't go to law school.

twostep08

Postby twostep08 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:02 am

TripTrip wrote:
twostep08 wrote:i hope schools take into account the differences in majors. on the lsat's i didn't study at all the first time (last year, when i wasnt sure about law school) apart from taking a proctored practice test a few weeks prior. i got a 161, so decided to take it again and really try for a better score. the second time i met this girl a little before the test, so i literally didnt study at all and got a 164.

Don't go to law school.

lol im telling you im a bright kid.. i almost got a perfect SAT score too.. and seriously, every non-engineering class i took i aced with a <25% attendance rate, so seriously i can handle law school- as long as its not ridiculous math equations that i need 5 pages of paper to derive

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:08 am

Why would you not put more effort into the LSAT?

That doesn't make any sense.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:17 am

Get some work experience for a couple of years. When you're able to approach LSAT prep with proper seriousness, study up and retake. If you get a 172+, apply to Northwestern.

twostep08

Postby twostep08 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:19 am

Nova wrote:Why would you not put more effort into the LSAT?

That doesn't make any sense.

i had this meeting with my advisor a few weeks before the exam. and she told me that it may be a big waste to waste my degree and go to a mediocre law school. she said that my best bet was to wait a year and see if law school was in fact what i wanted, and that if i could get a 161 ice cold that i should go all out for 170+ to get into a top school.. otherwise, if i cant get a job out of like a uconn law school, then i may not look good to engineering places if im years out of my degree.. by that point i already paid for december, and i figured i understood everything on the LSAT, staying focused for 4 hours would be my only downfall. also, i had alot of other stuff going on, and like i said i met this awesome girl who i was really trying to make things work with weeks before the exam

idk, anything in there that might be good to put in as an addendum? lol clearly schools dont like slackers, but you gotta admit a 164 with 0 studying is pretty impressive

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:23 am

twostep08 wrote:
idk, anything in there that might be good to put in as an addendum? lol clearly schools dont like slackers, but you gotta admit a 164 with 0 studying is pretty impressive

Not something I would brag about in my application, dude.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:23 am

No one is impressed by what you think you're capable of. "Could've gotten a 4.0 if I did PS" and "170+ if I did any studying" doesn't mean anything. Your numbers are terrible

Don't go to any law school with those numbers.

twostep08

Postby twostep08 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:25 am

swilson215 wrote:
twostep08 wrote:

Not something I would brag about in my application, dude.

im not saying brag, but if i mention that my classes were taking up too much time so i couldnt study? to be fair, im working on a project for a hospital an hour away that takes up a ton of time... i feel it would be much better than if they thought that i got a 164 studying day and night?

twostep08

Postby twostep08 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:32 am

mr.hands wrote:No one is impressed by what you think you're capable of. "Could've gotten a 4.0 if I did PS" and "170+ if I did any studying" doesn't mean anything. Your numbers are terrible

lol ok theres no need for that.. getting in the top 10% of the lsat is by no means terrible and my GPA is not bad for engineering (my gpa is a 3.3 in my major). ive had to take some semesters with 20 credits.. as it is now, i believe i have more than a chance at anything outside the top 20 schools in the country; im just trying to see if anyone has advice on how to make me look better.. for the record, i started out in liberal arts and was on the deans list when i didnt even go to class, so believe that im capable of As.. anyone who's taken classes in both liberal arts and sciences would know that its night and day

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:47 am

twostep08 wrote:
mr.hands wrote:No one is impressed by what you think you're capable of. "Could've gotten a 4.0 if I did PS" and "170+ if I did any studying" doesn't mean anything. Your numbers are terrible

lol ok theres no need for that.. getting in the top 10% of the lsat is by no means terrible and my GPA is not bad for engineering (my gpa is a 3.3 in my major). ive had to take some semesters with 20 credits.. as it is now, i believe i have more than a chance at anything outside the top 20 schools in the country; im just trying to see if anyone has advice on how to make me look better.. for the record, i started out in liberal arts and was on the deans list when i didnt even go to class, so believe that im capable of As.. anyone who's taken classes in both liberal arts and sciences would know that its night and day

I'm not trying to be harsh, really. But pretty much everything you've given us in this thread sounds like an excuse, and adcomms REALLY don't like excuses...not for anything. Take a year or two off, grow up a little, study your ass off and retake the LSAT. You can get in places with that GPA and a 164, but they're not necessarily going to be places you'll work out well in.

The thing is a lot of these places (TTT or worse) will offer you admission AND money, but it will be contingent on staying in the top X%. And while you say "I'm totally capable of A's" and other crap like that, every other person in your section will be just as capable as As, and if you slack (even with a reason, like a project) in undergrad, you're probably going to slack (at least a little) in LS. There's a very real chance that you won't make your grade cut off (90% of the class won't be in the top 10%) and you'll lose your scholarship and get stuck paying sticker at a sucky school. Don't drink the kool-aid, man.

The job market's getting better, but it's not great. If you're going to law school because you KNOW it's what you want in life and you'll be fine working at a small firm or hanging your own shingle or working for a DA or something, making not a ton of money and being in debt for a WHILE, then a state school might be okay for you. But it's not a route that a lot of people on these boards will recommend.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:58 am

twostep08 wrote:for the record, i started out in liberal arts and was on the deans list when i didnt even go to class, so believe that im capable of As..

Stop saying this. Admissions committees don't care what your major is. There was a dean of admissions answering questions on here a while back, and he stated that if he had to choose an undergrad major to later apply to law school with, he would pick the easiest major with the most inflated GPA. He said that seeing a science major with sub-par grades makes it look like that individual could have done better.

Your GPA is terrible for law school; accept it and stop making excuses.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:24 pm

1. Law Schools don't care about your major
2. If you were on Dean's list early and still got below a 3.0 you must have a HORRIFIC major GPA and a downward trend both negatives beyond the 2.95.
3. Schools don't care if you "think" you could have gotten better grades or LSAT scores, because the fact that you didn't live up to potential just means you likely won't put in the effort in Law School which requires a ton of work.
4. I don't know why I'm responding since this seems like you are likely a troll.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:38 pm

You might be OK if you can sit for the patent bar, since not as many people in law school have the science background to take it and, from what I understand, there's a demand for patent lawyers (if anyone else knows more about this, feel free to chime in). Although I've never actually looked into taking the test, I'm pretty sure there will be science on it. If science isn't your strong suit, then you may not want to enroll in law school based on the assumption that you'll pass it the first time.

If you're serious about going to law school, then retake the LSAT and make your final decision once you get your 170+ score.

hohenheim

Postby hohenheim » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:03 pm

flame for sure

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:07 pm

twostep08 wrote:but you gotta admit a 164 with 0 studying is pretty impressive

It seems you are mistaken sir, this isn't accepted students week at THE UConn school of Law, this is TLS.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:36 pm

Definitely write an addendum -- be like, "Hey adcoms, I know admitting me will put me below both the school's medians, forcing you guys to give someone else a crap-ton of scholarship money on the other end in the hopes they'll attend this school rather than Harvard, but you know what, if I'd really wanted to, I could have had a 4.0 and a 170+ LSAT. That's what makes me better than all the applications you'll see over this cycle that you know, actually have those numbers."

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:40 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Get some work experience for a couple of years. When you're able to approach LSAT prep with proper seriousness, study up and retake. If you get a 172+, apply to Northwestern.

Oh god, don't send this insufferable kid to us.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:22 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:Get some work experience for a couple of years. When you're able to approach LSAT prep with proper seriousness, study up and retake. If you get a 172+, apply to Northwestern.

+1

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:28 pm

iono why everyone's gotta be so mean

if you really want to be a lawyer, just go to UCONN, work hard and transfer.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:29 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:

Oh my, look at that typo in my post.

I meant NorthEASTern, OP. Northeastern is where you want to be. Or UConn. UConn's great too.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:01 pm

IAFG wrote:iono why everyone's gotta be so mean

if you really want to be a lawyer, just go to UCONN, work hard and transfer.

Just go to UConn and be in the top 1% of your class. It will be easy because yr so smart brah

twostep08

Postby twostep08 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:54 am

OP here... you guys are all very harsh and snobbish lol. and i just checked my detailed lsat answer analysis or whatever.. literally on each section i was perfect or 1 wrong for the first 75% of each, and then ended like 2 for 5 on each section (and went almost 0-for on the last logic game).. are the harder questions in each section traditionally the last ones, or are they randomly scattered in? cuz honestly i kept losing focus and i was rereading the early questions like 3 times each; if the later ones are in fact the harder ones, i would feel much better.. otherwise if my short attention span is the only thing holding me back (possibly inflicted on myself with my 2 hours of sleep), then really what more can i study? i understand every type of question and i can handle them all, its just im very easily distracted.. like after each question id check the time and calculate if i was going at a reasonable pace (which obviously kills like 2 valuable minutes on each section).. so to put it simply, i dont study for this for the same reason i wouldnt study my 5th grade multiplication tables if i had to aswer 100 questions in a minute- i know all the answers already, its just gonna come down to whether or not i can go through them quick enough (which will vary from day to day)

hopefully that clears up that im not a complete idiot.. would it be advisable to try to go to like a state school and pay 20K, reach and go to a better school and pay 30-40K, or go to a bottom of the barrel and hope for a scholarship (and how realistic is a scholarship for me?)

to recap my stats:
-2.95 GPA (3.25ish in my major), its just brought down by the orgo's and anatomy's and multivariable caluluses - basically the weedout classes of each respective department (unfortunately, i have to take literally all of them)
-major in biomedical engineering, concentration in biomaterials, minor in materials science
-161 and 164 LSAT score
-i worked as an innercity high school math tutor my freshman year (it turned out that i worked for a convicted felon, and i singlehandedly put a stop to him scamming kids and families- this was like my first major exposure to the legal sytem; i feel i could write a bangin essay about that)
-i currently am a certified high school football ref (not sure if this is big or not or i could incorporate it into my essay, but i know alot of professional refs are also lawyers and theres obv a conenction with rules of a sport to the legal system)
-i did cutting-edge research with fuel cells my sophomore year (it wasnt anything amazing, but i could make it sound very good)
-my senior project deals with lengthening the lifespan of human skin working at a local hospital (and is potentially going to yield a patentable design, along with a published scientific journal article)
- no summer internship because i changed majors 3 times, so i was left playing catchup over the summer (im graduating with over 160 credits); also this forced me to take some semesters of 20 credits..

- my recs are from the my boss who ive worked for for 3 years, and the engineering dean (who ive taken a class with and serves as my advisor).. theyre confidential, but im assuming they will be at least "good" with the potential to be amazing

with all that considered, i certainly dont look like as terrible of an applicant as you guys are making me out to be? anything youre seeing in there thats worthy of an addendum?

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:57 am

twostep08 wrote:OP here... you guys are all very harsh and snobbish lol. and i just checked my detailed lsat answer analysis or whatever.. literally on each section i was perfect or 1 wrong for the first 75% of each, and then ended like 2 for 5 on each section (and went almost 0-for on the last logic game).. are the harder questions in each section traditionally the last ones, or are they randomly scattered in? cuz honestly i kept losing focus and i was rereading the early questions like 3 times each; if the later ones are in fact the harder ones, i would feel much better.. otherwise if my short attention span is the only thing holding me back (possibly inflicted on myself with my 2 hours of sleep), then really what more can i study? i understand every type of question and i can handle them all, its just im very easily distracted.. like after each question id check the time and calculate if i was going at a reasonable pace (which obviously kills like 2 valuable minutes on each section).. so to put it simply, i dont study for this for the same reason i wouldnt study my 5th grade multiplication tables if i had to aswer 100 questions in a minute- i know all the answers already, its just gonna come down to whether or not i can go through them quick enough (which will vary from day to day)

hopefully that clears up that im not a complete idiot.. would it be advisable to try to go to like a state school and pay 20K, reach and go to a better school and pay 30-40K, or go to a bottom of the barrel and hope for a scholarship (and how realistic is a scholarship for me?)

to recap my stats:
-161 and 164 LSAT score

- my recs are from the my boss who ive worked for for 3 years, and the engineering dean (who ive taken a class with and serves as my advisor).. theyre confidential, but im assuming they will be at least "good" with the potential to be amazing

with all that considered, i certainly dont look like as terrible of an applicant as you guys are making me out to be? anything youre seeing in there thats worthy of an addendum?

Some of your softs are interesting, but unfortunately without a higher lsat score schools worth going to aren't gonna care about them

izha

Postby izha » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:06 am

twostep08 wrote:im beginning to be a little discouraged on even going to law school with what i hear about the postgrad employment .. anyways, the GPA is low because i'm a biomedical engineering major (with a minor in materials science & engineering)- i could get a 4.0 in political science with my eyes closed, so i hope schools take into account the differences in majors. on the lsat's i didn't study at all the first time (last year, when i wasnt sure about law school) apart from taking a proctored practice test a few weeks prior. i got a 161, so decided to take it again and really try for a better score. the second time i met this girl a little before the test, so i literally didnt study at all and still beat my first score and got a 164 on 2 hours of sleep, go figure.

anyways, i was thinking of just applying to UCONN, my state school which i figured will be the best value. but like i said, ive heard unless you go to a top school, employment is very difficult. also, i would kind of like to test the job market in my BME field as well (and ive heard i cant work at all while in law school?)

ive worked all throughout my undergrad.. i havent had any amazing internships, but ive done some lab research, in addition to being a high school football ref, and a supervisor in my on-campus job.. also how much do schools take into account that i took the lsat's twice? i thought i was teetering on whether or not id get into uconn before, but now i feel pretty safe with my new lsat scores. also, any other ideas where i should throw my hat into? lastly, i havent applied yet- i do have my letters of rec tho- how much does when i apply impact my chances

There are plenty of people here with 3.8-4.0 GPA in your "hard" major. If you are as bright as you say you are, than you just a troll as one should be really stupid to brag about your LSAT scores, GPA, and "being a high school football ref".

Return to “What are my chances?”