GPA 3.7 and low LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

GPA 3.7 and low LSAT

Postby caroline1212 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a 3.7 (Political Science major) at Georgetown. Unfortunately, I got a 160 on the December LSAT. My first choice for law school was Penn or Georgetown. Obviously, my chances of being accepted to either school are virtually nonexistent.

I took the LSAT in Oct '12 and got a 156. So, while the trend is upward I seriously doubt that retaking the test would result in a significantly higher score. Thus, I'm hesitant to retake it and delay applying for a year. I have ADHD but the LSAC required additional testing to qualify for extended time. As I could not afford testing, I took the LSAT under normal conditions. While this may have impacted my score i got 170s on practice tests. Therefore, I doubt it completely explains my results.

I have a pretty decent resume. I have a few international internships (worked at a center
for people seeking political asylum in Belgium) was involved with several organizations at
Georgetown. I have good letters of recommendation. Of course, I fully understand these are
not going to atone for my LSAT score.

In light of all this I was wondering if anyone could evaluate my chances at the following schools:
George Washington
Boston University
U of Michigan (I am a MI resident and my grandfather was president of UM lawyers club)
Georgetown (having done my undergrad there)

Additionally, would including an addendum explaining the circumstances of ADHD and testing be helpful? I'm guessing it would not.

Thanks for any information or help you might be willing to provide.

better than you

Re: GPA 3.7 and low LSAT

Postby suralin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:14 pm
(Keep in mind that this includes EDs and does not take into account your late application.)

Chances are very low everywhere but at American, and I would not recommend American.

I know you don't want to, but your best course of action is likely waiting out a year and retaking.

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:31 pm

You absolutely should figure out your testing situation and retake. Either get the money to have additional testing time, or figure out why your score was so much lower than your PTs. Do not settle for a 160 when you were PTing in the 170s. The difference that a 160 and a 170 have on your law school selection and employment outlook could not be overstated.

Postby Nova » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:33 pm

Suralin wrote:I know you don't want to, but your best course of action is likely waiting out a year and retaking.

Return to “What are my chances?”