Harvard/Columbia -- Waiting a cycle?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:07 am

Harvard/Columbia -- Waiting a cycle?

Postby bbsg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:36 am

Hi all,

I'll be unable to apply to schools until mid-January for a few reasons. Now if I have a 3.89/172 (retake) and am not accepted to Harvard or Columbia (my top two), would it be wise to just take the year off and then re-apply early next cycle with equivalent stats or ought I take the rejection to indicate that my stats aren't sufficient (maybe the fact it's a retake will sink me? First take was a 165) and just take whatever other T14 I do get into? I really don't want to retake, but if I'm taking the year off -anyway- should I just retake in Feb/June and hope to break 175 (I hit 177/178 regularly on PTs..). Would waiting a year due to scholarship potential at Columbia be wise, in your opinion, just based on finances?

I'm cautious about the possibility of waiting an extra cycle if it won't improve my chances at Harvard or Columbia, and I'm frankly quite unclear about how much more likely a October 1st applicant is to gain admission relative to a January 15 applicant. Is the difference that significant? I know Yale at least doesn't do rolling admissions, but I'm certainly not going to sit here and bank on a Yale acceptance (especially with a sub-99th LSAT and a sub-3.9 GPA...)


Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Harvard/Columbia -- Waiting a cycle?

Postby florida1949 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:00 am

This cycle you're more than likely going to get accepted to Columbia and you have a decent shot at H. http://myLSN.info/g3di75

If you re-apply next cycle early, you will almost certainly get into Columbia and will have a better shot at H. http://myLSN.info/4i8k8d

If you re-apply next cycle early with a better LSAT score (lets say 174-177), you're a lock for Columbia and likely in at H. http://myLSN.info/ldibrp

take your pick

User avatar

Posts: 4869
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Harvard/Columbia -- Waiting a cycle?

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:48 pm

Your LSAT/GPA combo is HYSC material. Apply this cycle and if you don't get in, then reapply next year. It never hurts to have a year of work experience under your belt, especially if you can do something with impact that you can incorporate into your personal statement.

Don't settle.

User avatar

Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Harvard/Columbia -- Waiting a cycle?

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:27 am

I recommend applying now because this cycle will be very unpredictable, and you may well get that scholarship money you're after even with those numbers. You just may not get it until June/July. A huge number of applicants last year got in off WL at top schools, and this year will likely be more of the same.

Apply, intend to wait out the cycle, but if you get that deal you're after or something very close to it, then take it.

Return to “What are my chances??

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests