3.94/169 - International (URM?)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
M458

3.94/169 - International (URM?)

Postby M458 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:37 pm

3.94 GPA from top-15 undergrad and 169 LSAT in October. About 2 and a half years of full-time work experience as of right now in addition to internships every summer I was in college.

Born in Mexico, have lived here since elementary school, but still not a citizen or resident. Currently here on a work visa and I know that I wouldn't qualify for Federal Loans, so I guess I'm considered an International. Can I expect outcomes similar to a URM (Mexican-American), an international student, or a regular American student?

I'm retaking in December, but I was going to ED to Northwestern and hope I get in with the scholarship. Also applying to most of the lower T-14 this week. Hopefully I can break the 170 barrier (was PTing around 174 before the Oct test) in December and then I was thinking of applying to Yale, Harvard, Columbia, and Chicago soon as that score came in.

I pretty much need either YH or another school in the T-14 with substantial money since I can't get federal loans; what are my chances?

twenty

Re: 3.94/169 - International (URM?)

Postby twenty » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:12 am

Unfortunately, I doubt you'll get any sort of a boost based on race, HOWEVER, a 3.94 paired with a 169 is an impressive combo, and will likely get you some pretty significant money in the lower T14.

International students, according to LSN, seem to almost have a negative-soft applied to them, and you likely won't have to worry about that since you did your undergrad in the US.

M458

Postby M458 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:14 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Unfortunately, I doubt you'll get any sort of a boost based on race, HOWEVER, a 3.94 paired with a 169 is an impressive combo, and will likely get you some pretty significant money in the lower T14.

International students, according to LSN, seem to almost have a negative-soft applied to them, and you likely won't have to worry about that since you did your undergrad in the US.

Thanks for the input! To confuse me even further, I received a letter from Michigan yesterday that specifically mentioned the Latino Student Association. They might've just seen that I checked off the Hispanic box and at this point I doubt they look at citizenship status.

Do you think I should go ahead and apply to CCN and Penn/Berkeley right now or wait until I get my December score back? I've ruled out Harvard and Yale until I see if I score higher, but still on the fence about how to approach apps at those schools. I do have fee waivers there, but I'd hate for them to reject me before even seeing the other score.

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:45 pm

I disagree with the above poster. You are Mexican. You will mark that on your apps and you will be treated as Mexican. I think you will get into CCN.

Puffin

Postby Puffin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:30 pm

I don't believe internationals receive URM boosts.

Return to “What are my chances?”