Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Re: Chances at UT for an in-state splitter? UPDATED

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:55 am

There are admittedly very few data points here but in the last two cycles, looking at LSN, it appears that for people with between 3.15 and 3.32 and and 170-180 LSAT(these all essentially function the same with their medians), who were instate, 8/10 were accepted. I think you guys might be underrating the value of being a Texas resident.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:57 am

tfleming09 wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:http://www.nalpdirectory.com/Page.cfm?PageID=34

Market is $160k for first years. I believe TX firms have lower raises than NYC, but NYC satellite firms stay on NYC scale. It's an incredible deal if you like Texas.
Sweet, then fuck yeah if you want to work in TX. With cheap living and no income tax I wonder why more people don't pursue it. Insularity?

So, shifty, if I were you I would apply everywhere, EA UT, and then switch another app to ED if you get waitlisted/dinged. You can get back to Texas with a T14 degree and ties.
Houston and Dallas do kind of suck, but I'm used to it.

Ok, I think I won't ED anywhere until after I hear back from UT EA. Shouldn't be too late to ED UVA.

I'm feeling a lot better now. THANKS EVERYONE!

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:58 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:There are admittedly very few data points here but in the last two cycles, looking at LSN, it appears that for people with between 3.15 and 3.32 and and 170-180 LSAT(these all essentially function the same with their medians), who were instate, 8/10 were accepted. I think you guys might be underrating the value of being a Texas resident.
Have you analyzed whether most of those went to UT undergrad? I can see that giving more of a boost than just in-state, but maybe not.

(did not go to UT)

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:59 am

tfleming09 wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:Houston and Dallas do kind of suck, but I'm used to it.
You want Austin?

Isn't the possibility of getting Austin biglaw at all a huge flame?
I want Austin, but I have no delusions. I've lived in Houston my whole life; I can deal.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:00 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:I think you guys might be underrating the value of being a Texas resident.
Agreed. the 2/3rds quota makes her chances way better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:02 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:There are admittedly very few data points here but in the last two cycles, looking at LSN, it appears that for people with between 3.15 and 3.32 and and 170-180 LSAT(these all essentially function the same with their medians), who were instate, 8/10 were accepted. I think you guys might be underrating the value of being a Texas resident.
Have you analyzed whether most of those went to UT undergrad? I can see that giving more of a boost than just in-state, but maybe not.

(did not go to UT)
It's hard to tell but I wouldn't imagine that makes a huge difference. UT just has by far the largest % of its class mandated to be residents of any top law school.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:04 pm

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:05 pm

Annnd this is why I am gunning for Texas biglaw.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:06 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
Annnd this is why I am gunning for Texas biglaw.
Srsly. $68k in Dallas or Houston gives you the same buying power as $160k in NYC, yet they pay twice that? For all practical purposes, you're twice as rich there.
Last edited by shntn on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:06 pm

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:08 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
shinton88 wrote:Srsly. $68k in Dallas or Houston gives you the same buying power as $160k in NYC, yet they pay twice that? For all practical purposes, you're twice as rich there.
lol NYC is flame, too bad that's where all the jobs are
I plan to split the diff and go to Chicago or LA or Philly or something.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:09 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
shinton88 wrote:Srsly. $68k in Dallas or Houston gives you the same buying power as $160k in NYC, yet they pay twice that? For all practical purposes, you're twice as rich there.
I'm hoping my geology BS will help me get into DAT OIL & GAS LAW in TX. Maybe that's a pipe dream tho?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:13 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:110k in houston or dallas is more than 160k in NYC.
I think raynier/Desert Fox did an analysis on this RE: 110k in Denver v 160K in NYC, and IIRC NYC was still better for paying off loans ASAP. Though obviously TX has no state income tax and CO does, not sure if that would make up the gap.

They used income calculators which are bullshit. income calcs have impossible jobs to do and are not meant to be the only source of research.

110k renting in dallas/houston with no income tax is way better than 160k renting in NYC with income tax and higher local taxes. Not sure about Denver, but I know the quality if life IMO would be way higher on 110k in Denver than 160k in New York. Nice restaurants in cities like Denver and Houston are like 30 dollars a plate. . . you can live in a brand new 3000 sq foot house in suburban Houston if the bank loans you 250k or less (which they would if you made 110k a year). Some people would prefer NYC and that makes sense. Just saying.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:07 pm

160k in TX vs NYC is obviously a no brainer in TX's favor, but when you start to compare to markets like 110k the issue is that you are still making 160k in NYC and you CAN live cheaper than the calculators while in Denver or wherever even if you manage to live cheaper, you have less to start out with. That's why if you aggressively repay your loans in NYC while sacking up and having a roommate and not blowing money on stupid stuff you are probably better off than in a secondary.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:16 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
I'm hoping my geology BS will help me get into DAT OIL & GAS LAW in TX. Maybe that's a pipe dream tho?
Pipe Dream for O&G generally or that your geology BS will get you O&G?

O&G law isn't some mythical small practice like international or entertainment law. Most corporate work and a significant amount of litigation work in Houston amounts to O&G Law. Having a BS in Geology might help you during an interview in conveying interest, but it's not like having a hard science degree in IP where they'll overlook your grades.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:16 pm

f0bolous wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
Pipe Dream for O&G generally or that your geology BS will get you O&G?

O&G law isn't some mythical small practice like international or entertainment law. Most corporate work and a significant amount of litigation work in Houston amounts to O&G Law. Having a BS in Geology might help you during an interview in conveying interest, but it's not like having a hard science degree in IP where they'll overlook your grades.
Yeah, I meant the latter. I hope it will help a bit interviews.

IPhopeful

New

Post by IPhopeful » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Good luck! Keep us updated because this will be me next year! Straight down to living in Houston right now :P.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:33 am

This is why I love Texas.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:37 am

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:110k in houston or dallas is more than 160k in NYC.
I think raynier/Desert Fox did an analysis on this RE: 110k in Denver v 160K in NYC, and IIRC NYC was still better for paying off loans ASAP. Though obviously TX has no state income tax and CO does, not sure if that would make up the gap.

They used income calculators which are bullshit. income calcs have impossible jobs to do and are not meant to be the only source of research.

110k renting in dallas/houston with no income tax is way better than 160k renting in NYC with income tax and higher local taxes. Not sure about Denver, but I know the quality if life IMO would be way higher on 110k in Denver than 160k in New York. Nice restaurants in cities like Denver and Houston are like 30 dollars a plate. . . you can live in a brand new 3000 sq foot house in suburban Houston if the bank loans you 250k or less (which they would if you made 110k a year). Some people would prefer NYC and that makes sense. Just saying.
This is so true. I grew up in the suburbs of Houston and houses are HUGE.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”