High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Vauldin
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:43 pm

High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby Vauldin » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:01 pm

This question has been asked and answered, but the answer relies on the applicants specific circumstances, so I would appreciate it if some of you could give me an idea of how much undergrad prestige will matter for me.

I have a 3.9 and 171. Here's the problem; I am doing my undergrad at a California State University, which is not even remotely prestigious. And many other applicants will be coming from Stanford and such.

My softs:

Appointed by governor to serve two year term as CSU Student Trustee. Highest and most powerful position a student can hold.
Regional supervisor for two political campaigns.
Founder and president of Secular Student Alliance on campus.
Nationally ranked in moot court and mock trial.
President of moot court.
Washington D.C. congressional internship.
Over 100 hours volunteered at a food pantry in one of the poorest areas in the country.
Active in student government. Started a bike safety campaign and subsidized lock program with police department.

I know what you do as an undergrad matters much more than where you are an undergrad, and I think I really did well with that, and my numbers are great, but do you think I have any shot at Georgetown? Or Berkely, UCLA? Harvard maybe?

Thanks

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby tennisking88 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Dude. No one gives a shit about UG. One reason you have to take the LSAT is bc it standardizes curricula among different schools. You LSAT legitimizes & complements your high gpa. Congrats.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby bk1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:07 pm

Numbers make up the vast majority of your application. You will have an edge over every Stanford kid who got a 170 or less on the LSAT since you have a 171.

I know Stanford grads who are going to SCU. Seriously, don't worry about who you're competing against because your GPA/LSAT are already pretty good. If you really wanted to help your application further I would consider upping your LSAT to the mid/high 170's if that is feasible for you.

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby Teoeo » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:11 pm

It won't matter at all. Have fun going to a top school

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:14 pm

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/youngmoolah

My numbers are similar and my undergrad is less prestigious than yours.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3224
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby ph14 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:21 pm

Doesn't really matter, check this out

I'm at HLS, and I know tons of students from all different levels of undergrad prestige. I'm sure it's like that at Georgetown, Berkeley, and UCLA as well. Numbers are way more important.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:41 pm

Schools won't give a shit unless you went to some unaccredited diploma mill like University of Phoenix.

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:04 am

All the above is credited, though I've heard around here that UG rep might play a part at top tier, small class size, type programs. Stanford and Yale come to mind, but nothing else. I also haven't done any kind of research to substantiate it, since those schools are out of reach anyway, but you might look into it before you get dead set on something.

senhorquick
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby senhorquick » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:50 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Schools won't give a shit unless you went to some unaccredited diploma mill like University of Phoenix.

^This.

If anything it might help you in certain situations at certain schools since they want to have the most "diverse" student body possible.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby 20130312 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:59 pm

Vauldin wrote:prestigue


What the hell is this?

senhorquick
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby senhorquick » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:19 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
Vauldin wrote:prestigue


What the hell is this?


French?

User avatar
kerflux
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby kerflux » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:03 am

This is what they teach in our CSU systems... smh

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:01 am

tennisking88 wrote:Dude. No one gives a shit about UG. One reason you have to take the LSAT is bc it standardizes curricula among different schools. You LSAT legitimizes & complements your high gpa. Congrats.

User avatar
Perdevise
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby Perdevise » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:25 pm

I think I read somewhere like 75% of Yale's class is YHPS/other Ivy league/leet liberal arts schools. Otherwise, you'll be just fine. I went to a large state school and it hasn't impacted my cycle.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby Br3v » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:30 pm

Perdevise wrote:I think I read somewhere like 75% of Yale's class is YHPS/other Ivy league/leet liberal arts schools. Otherwise, you'll be just fine. I went to a large state school and it hasn't impacted my cycle.


That's a lot of choices lol. But even if that stat is true, I do not think those students are at Yale because they went to one of those schools for UG, they are there because gpa/lsat

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby Gail » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:06 pm

Br3v wrote:
Perdevise wrote:I think I read somewhere like 75% of Yale's class is YHPS/other Ivy league/leet liberal arts schools. Otherwise, you'll be just fine. I went to a large state school and it hasn't impacted my cycle.


That's a lot of choices lol. But even if that stat is true, I do not think those students are at Yale because they went to one of those schools for UG, they are there because gpa/lsat


Sure. But I think YSH are probably also able to be more selective and do use UG. I gave up on ever thinking about retaking for Stanford or Harvard, though truth be told my GPA isn't high enough anyways.

keyon
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby keyon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:50 am

DELICIOUS SPAM

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby Br3v » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:04 am

Gail wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Perdevise wrote:I think I read somewhere like 75% of Yale's class is YHPS/other Ivy league/leet liberal arts schools. Otherwise, you'll be just fine. I went to a large state school and it hasn't impacted my cycle.


That's a lot of choices lol. But even if that stat is true, I do not think those students are at Yale because they went to one of those schools for UG, they are there because gpa/lsat


Sure. But I think YSH are probably also able to be more selective and do use UG. I gave up on ever thinking about retaking for Stanford or Harvard, though truth be told my GPA isn't high enough anyways.


Idk, I still think that if next cycle no one from ivy was at medians and everyone from state schools were, Yale would be full if state school 1Ls next cycle

User avatar
DaftAndDirect
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby DaftAndDirect » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:07 am

senhorquick wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Vauldin wrote:prestigue


What the hell is this?


French?


New X-men villain

GokartMozart315
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Re: High numbers, low undergrad prestigue

Postby GokartMozart315 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:05 pm

kerflux wrote:This is what they teach in our CSU systems... smh


haha as i said to myself, "here's why law schools should care about the undergrad institution..."




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: studyingeveryday and 3 guests