Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
howlery

Postby howlery » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:29 am

Last edited by howlery on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law4vus

Re: 3.6 GPA Puerto Rican 170 LSAT

Postby law4vus » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:58 pm

Very good chances everywhere. Bear in mind that the lowest GPA that Yale took was a 3.61, so you're RIGHT there. You're also applying fairly late, so that will affect some of your admissions.

That being said, I think you'll easily get into one of Columbia, Chicago, NYU and maybe sneak a Harvard acceptance. Good luck!

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:07 pm

Omberon wrote:ok

LOL

howlery

Postby howlery » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:07 am

Last edited by howlery on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 062914123 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:50 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vincanity1

Re: 3.65 GPA URM Puerto Rican 170 LSAT chances for HYS

Postby vincanity1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:57 pm

<5%

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:10 pm

Omberon wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:<5%

Where are you getting this from? You just spit out some number.

Welcome to the "What are my chances?" forum, where arbitrary numbers are the lay of the land.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:15 pm

Omberon wrote:

I apologize for not expounding to the degree that you felt necessary.

You have a 0% chance of being admitted into Yale. You would need .3 added to your GPA and a couple of LSAT points at minimum.

Your GPA is way too low for Stanford. Although your LSAT would definitely suffice, especially given hispanic URM status, your GPA takes you out of the running almost immediately for a class that is extremely small and with better Puerto Ricans and Mexicans to choose from.

Your only shot is Harvard, which would be extremely unlikely due to both your low LSAT score and low GPA. However, Harvard does have an extremely large class and they might be in need of more Hispanics towards the end of the cycle.

Edit: Saw an earlier post with the info that you'll be applying next year so ignore the application timing point.

Several things I should add:
1. If you just finished applying, that really hurts your chances even further.
2. I'm also hispanic, and I've done extensive research on hispanics of past cycles. I have a pretty decent idea of the kind of boost we've gotten historically.
3. I'm also a 1st-gen with significantly better stats than you, and I was passed up for a Harvard acceptance despite having applied the first day. That being said, I'm only considered a non-URM hispanic since I'm Cuban and am also currently in UG.

Buena suerte, caballero

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:20 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
Omberon wrote:

You have a 0% chance of being admitted into Yale. You would need .3 added to your GPA and a couple of LSAT points at minimum.

Your GPA is way too low for Stanford. Although your LSAT would definitely suffice, especially given hispanic URM status, your GPA takes you out of the running almost immediately for a class that is extremely small and with better Puerto Ricans and Mexicans to choose from.

Your only shot is Harvard, which would be extremely unlikely due to both your low LSAT score and low GPA. However, Harvard does have an extremely large class and they might be in need of more Hispanics towards the end of the cycle.

Edit: Saw an earlier post with the info that you'll be applying next year so ignore the application timing point.

2. I'm also hispanic, and I've done extensive research on hispanics of past cycles. I have a pretty decent idea of the kind of boost we've gotten historically.
3. I'm also a 1st-gen with significantly better stats than you, and I was passed up for a Harvard acceptance despite having applied the first day. That being said, I'm only considered a non-URM hispanic since I'm Cuban and am also currently in UG.

Buena suerte, caballero

i.e. everything I just said is totally irrelevant to your cycle.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:24 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
Omberon wrote:

Buena suerte, caballero

Can only be described as butt hurt.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:26 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:
Omberon wrote:

Buena suerte, caballero

Can only be described as butt hurt.
Except he's right. OP has very little chance at HYS. If he was AA, it would be a different story.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:26 pm

Didn't mean to come off as harsh. The fact is, OP's sights should be set on CCN/MVPB rather than HYS. Apps to HS would be worth it, but Puerto Rican doesn't equal black.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:26 pm

Nelson wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Can only be described as butt hurt.
Except he's right. OP has very little chance at HYS. If he was AA, it would be a different story.

Didn't think he was wrong. Just butt hurt.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:34 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Nelson wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Can only be described as butt hurt.

Didn't think he was wrong. Just butt hurt.

Definitely butt hurt.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:59 pm

Omberon wrote:That is weird. first of all Cubans are not URMs they are if anything consider just white. White and as non-hispanic as you can get, with still being Hispanic, if that makes sense, hence they do not obviously get ANY sort of boost. The reason I say that is because I have heard the complete opposite of what you guys are now saying.

Thanks Anyways,

I am assuming you have heard the exact opposite of what we are saying (i.e. that your chances aren't very good). If that's the case it's probably because you have heard comments like, "Oh you are PR with a 170 LSAT enjoy Harvard!" (either from this forum or from people out in real life). Unfortunately that's just not the case. Although some in this thread may think vincanity is "butt hurt", he is absolutely, 100% right. There have been URMs with similar numbers rejected to schools as far down as NYU. I'm not saying you have a 0% chance; on the contrary, I think you have a small chance at Harvard and a solid chance at CCN.

Just don't assume that to be the case.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Omberon wrote:That is weird. first of all Cubans are not URMs they are if anything consider just white. White and as non-hispanic as you can get, with still being Hispanic, if that makes sense, hence they do not obviously get ANY sort of boost. The reason I say that is because I have heard the complete opposite of what you guys are now saying.

Thanks Anyways,

You're welcome.

Also, coming off as harsh implies being butthurt? Sure I'd love a KB2, but I didn't go in thinking I had it in the bag by any means.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks Anyways,

Incorrect.

PBJones

Postby PBJones » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:55 pm

Tons of misconceptions here.

1) Technically all "Hispanics" are white by the US Census's definitions. Hispanic is not a racial category; it encompasses Caucasian ethnicities whose culture is in some respect Spanish (including lily-white spainards).

2) Under US law, as clarified in Grutter v Bollinger, there are only four URM groups. Cubans (who are fairly affluent in the US) aren't considered URMs. Puerto Ricans are. It's obvious then that the latter group will get a boost not enjoyed by the former.

3) Colleges primarily care about how you affect their rankings. Despite having a 170 LSAT, OP is below both 25th percentiles at Harvard and Yale, so he would hurt their rankings as much as an applicant with a 163 3.5. I don't see him having much of a chance at either; certainly, he's almost definitely out at Yale. Probably a better chance at Stanford, since he's at their 50th percentile LSAT (the insanely high GPA floor of S tends to be relaxed for URMs).

The PR and MA boosts boosts are considerably smaller than those enjoyed by AA's and NA's. OP should send an app to H & S (not Y) , but is very probably going to be dinged by both. Likely in at CCN, though Columbia and Chicago are by no means locks. Improve your score to a 173, and you will see your prospects at H go from dim to extremely strong . You'd also have a viable though by no means guaranteed shot at Yale.

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:04 pm

PBJones wrote:Tons of misconceptions here.

1) Technically all "Hispanics" are white by the US Census's definitions. Hispanic is not a racial category; it encompasses Caucasian ethnicities whose culture is in some respect Spanish (including lily-white spainards).

The US Census and other big gov things do not consider Hispanic as any "racial" category, meaning they are not automatically considered anything and must also mark a "race" separately on forms, meaning White Hispanic, Black Hispanic, Asian and Pacific Islander Hispanic (Yes), Native American Hispanic, or Multiracial/Mixed Hispanic. Most are eventually categorized as white - if they don't choose a category when white is assumed.

Sidenote: You guys really haven't considered black Cubans?

PBJones

Postby PBJones » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:32 pm

SehMeSerrious wrote:
PBJones wrote:Tons of misconceptions here.

The US Census and other big gov things do not consider Hispanic as any "racial" category, meaning they are not automatically considered anything and must also mark a "race" separately on forms, meaning White Hispanic, Black Hispanic, Asian and Pacific Islander Hispanic (Yes), Native American Hispanic, or Multiracial/Mixed Hispanic. Most are eventually categorized as white - if they don't choose a category when white is assumed.

Sidenote: You guys really haven't considered black Cubans?

Sorry: I meant to say "typically." Most people indigenous to Latin America -- including most Mexicans and Cubans -- are deemed "Caucasian" by the US Census. Obviously, people from numerous races can legitimately identify with a given ethnicity (such as "Cuban" or "Puerto Rican").

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:49 pm

Omberon wrote:No offense to anyone, but there seems to be some serious group think that has occurred and the fact that someone is still in their UG and is Cuban, meaning not on the slightest a URM, since Cubans are much more affluent as mentioned, is posting about my particular chances is borderline insulting.

Thanks Everyone though, Best.

None of this has anything to do with the facts of the matter, which are that non-AA URM boosts aren't nearly big enough to get your numbers (which are mediocre) into HYS. Go ahead and apply to "prove us all wrong" but if you're going to insist that your original opinion was right and anyone else is a victim of "groupthink" it begs the question of why you asked to begin with.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:54 pm

Omberon wrote:No offense to anyone, but there seems to be some serious group think that has occurred and the fact that someone is still in their UG and is Cuban, meaning not on the slightest a URM, since Cubans are much more affluent as mentioned, is posting about my particular chances is borderline insulting.

It doesn't matter what the guy is. He could be a Smirf commenting on your chances, doesn't change the fact of the matter.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:21 pm

Omberon wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:

It doesn't matter what the guy is. He could be a Smirf commenting on your chances, doesn't change the fact of the matter.

It did matter because he used himself as analogy for my chances. Read the post carefully next time.

You mean the analogy that he prefaced with , "my stats were significantly higher than yours"?

Look, I'm not trying to be a dick. I just think you are getting caught up in the minutiae of his analogy, when, in fact, the rest of his opinion had a lot of merit to it.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:08 pm

This is discouraging. I'm also PR with a downward trend, nearly identical LSDAS. Haven't taken the LSAT yet. I wonder if I kick ass and get a 175+ if I can get HYS.... :|

MichelFoucault

Postby MichelFoucault » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:56 am

I'm a 170 with a 4.0+ lsdas gpa. Half PR. Applied this cycle. What y'all think of my chances at HYS?

Return to “What are my chances?”