Where should I apply with a 2.8, 164 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ato308

New

Where should I apply with a 2.8, 164 LSAT

Post by ato308 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:27 am

Hey, I'm looking on suggestions for where I should apply with my current GPA (2.8 ) and LSAT (164).

My soft's include:
Eagle Scout (Lots of Volunteering)
Member of Alpha Tau Omega (Lots of Volunteering and leadership positions)
Member of Omicron Delta Epsilon economics honor society.
Economics club: fundraising chair
Adopted (only 2% of former foster children graduate college.)

soitgoes9

Bronze

Re: Where should I apply with a 2.8, 164 LSAT

Post by soitgoes9 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:34 am

Where do you want to practice?

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:39 pm

If not URM, then you should apply to your nearest testing center for a retake!

wannabejag

New

Post by wannabejag » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:41 pm

law4vus wrote:If not URM, then you should apply to your nearest testing center for a retake!
Is this really the only answer anyone ever gives? You people always automatically say that without knowing any of this persons background. A retake may not automatically help this person. And even if it did..retake at a 164...how much increase is realistic?

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:44 pm

wannabejag wrote:
law4vus wrote:If not URM, then you should apply to your nearest testing center for a retake!
Is this really the only answer anyone ever gives? You people always automatically say that without knowing any of this persons background. A retake may not automatically help this person. And even if it did..retake at a 164...how much increase is realistic?
We know their gpa, we know their last, and therefore we know the most relevant factors in admissions. This person needs a high LSAT to balance their gpa. And yes, a 170+ increase is realistic with proper studying. 4 points would be a huge help- 168 will get them wustl.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bruss

Bronze

Post by bruss » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:00 pm

For Florida schools FSU and UM might bite. But seriously retake and get that 170+.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:35 pm

ato308 wrote:Hey, I'm looking on suggestions for where I should apply with my current GPA (2.8 ) and LSAT (164).

My soft's include:
Eagle Scout (Lots of Volunteering)
Member of Alpha Tau Omega (Lots of Volunteering and leadership positions)
Member of Omicron Delta Epsilon economics honor society.
Economics club: fundraising chair
Adopted (only 2% of former foster children graduate college.)
I. You should apply for a real job. No school worth going to is going to accept you.

II. How are you a member of an honor society with a 2.8. I'd be embarrassed to put any honor society that would accept an 2.8 on my resume.

III. If you are dumb and still want law, retake your LSAT. You've got a shot at a mediocre school like Northwestern or Georgetown if you kill the LSAT.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:58 pm

wannabejag wrote:
Sadly, background doesn't matter as much. I think it's a major flaw in LS admissions, but seeing as I have no ability to change that I'm going to tell it how it is.

In the end, regardless of what a person is like in their background, it tends to be financially irresponsible to go to a law school that will accept a 2.8, 164. That's what people on this site, like me, are trying to save the OP from.

A 164 may be a good score percentile-wise, but it isn't a practically good score when weighing the law school/job opportunities that can come with a 164 LSAT and 2.8 GPA. That's what matters. It doesn't matter that 164 is 90th percentile when mainly people in the 98-99th percentile are the ones that AREN'T having trouble finding jobs (because they tend to go to better schools).

As for a retake possibly not being helpful - so what? It can't be harmful since almost any school will take the highest score. As it stands, a 164 isn't going to get the OP into a school that's worth going to. They can retake and increase job prospects with a higher score.
Last edited by law4vus on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:01 pm

lol if your fraternity was mainly volunteering and leadership, you did it wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

soitgoes9

Bronze

Post by soitgoes9 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:32 pm

A retake may is worthwhile but the op may have options to at least give it a shot at a ok regional school. Incert the usual and true advice about the massive financial risks of law school.

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:58 pm

Grizz wrote:lol if your fraternity was mainly volunteering and leadership, you did it wrong.

+1, can't bullshit a bullshitter

ato308

New

Post by ato308 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:25 am

Some people on this site are ignorant.

Firstly, yes fraternities party, but a large part of what we do is community service; such as, Bocche Bash ( national special olympics event), Tree fest( decorating and delivering Christmas trees to the needy.), Relay for life ( raised 5,000 for cancer.), Grab cancer by the horns ( raised 10,000 for cancer). Along with helping with the flood that accrued this year, and that was all fall semester.

What have you ever done to help anyone?

Secondly, I'm in a economics honor society. I have a 3.7 major GPA ( economics). In this major I do a lot of Calculus and Econometric's. Sorry i didn't take communications ( have fun explaining to your employer that your analytically inclined), History ( It's different in every culture, along with this, you could have saved your parents 100k and went to the local library.), Political Science ( your outdated a year after you graduate, along with this its a joke science, see comment on communications.) Unlucky for me is that my school is an AACSB accredited business institution, which means accounting is extremely hard and I didn't do so well in it.

And no I'm not a URM, and even if I was I would never use it to my advantage. Graduating college as a former foster child of 12 years would qualify me as being more a URM then a real URM (a.k.a Black or Hispanic). My life situation was hard, but I never expect anyone to pity me or give me handouts, you're a product of yourself and I don't blame anyone for what I've become.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:48 am

ato308 wrote:Some people on this site are ignorant.

Firstly, yes fraternities party, but a large part of what we do is community service; such as, Bocche Bash ( national special olympics event), Tree fest( decorating and delivering Christmas trees to the needy.), Relay for life ( raised 5,000 for cancer.), Grab cancer by the horns ( raised 10,000 for cancer). Along with helping with the flood that accrued this year, and that was all fall semester.

Secondly, I'm in a economics honor society. I have a 3.7 major GPA ( economics). In this major I do a lot of Calculus and Econometric's. Sorry i didn't take communications ( have fun explaining to your employer that your analytically inclined), History ( It's different in every culture, along with this, you could have saved your parents 100k and went to the local library.), Political Science ( your outdated a year after you graduate, along with this its a joke science, see comment on communications.) Unlucky for me is that my school is an AACSB accredited business institution, which means accounting is extremely hard and I didn't do so well in it.

And no I'm not a URM, and even if I was I would never use it to my advantage. Graduating college as a former foster child of 12 years would qualify me as being more a URM then a real URM (a.k.a Black or Hispanic). My life situation was hard, but I never expect anyone to pity me or give me handouts, you're a product of yourself and I don't blame anyone for what I've become.
I've never seen someone be such a condescending little fuck about a 2.8 GPA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ato308

New

Post by ato308 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:58 am

I guess you'd call an engineering or physics major a condescending fuck if their GPA was a 2.8, compared to that of a political science major who probably has a 3.5+?

This is a problem on my homework from my first environmental economics class (elective).

3.) (30%) Mrs. S takes out a 30 year fixed rate of 7.25% in the amount of $120,000 to purchase a house.

a. What is her monthly payment if amortization period is 30 years?
b. What is her monthly payment if amortization period is 35 years?
c. After 15 years Mrs. S wants to sell her house and buy a new one. What is the
unpaid balance on the mortgage after 15 years if the monthly pay is from part (a)?
d. What is the unpaid balance on the mortgage after 15 years if the monthly payment
is from part (b)

See I don't memorize slides :)
Last edited by ato308 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:06 am

ato308 wrote:I guess you'd call an engineering or physics major a condescending fuck if their GPA was a 2.8, compared to that of a political science major who probably has a 3.5+?
Well you basically justified your bad GPA by making fun of other people's majors. Accounting is not THAT much more difficult to make up for a near 1 point drop in GPA. Quit dickslanging your failure by trying to tear other people down. Retake the LSAT or you're going to be going to a not so great law school because you did poorly in undergrad. HTH.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:11 am

ato308 wrote: Secondly, I'm in a economics honor society. I have a 3.7 major GPA ( economics). In this major I do a lot of Calculus and Econometric's. Sorry i didn't take communications ( have fun explaining to your employer that your analytically inclined), History ( It's different in every culture, along with this, you could have saved your parents 100k and went to the local library.), Political Science ( your outdated a year after you graduate, along with this its a joke science, see comment on communications.) Unlucky for me is that my school is an AACSB accredited business institution, which means accounting is extremely hard and I didn't do so well in it.
wut

soitgoes9

Bronze

Post by soitgoes9 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:22 am

OP first get your chip off your shoulder. Now tell us where you want to work and we may be able to come up with an not horrible T2 for you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:47 am

Alright. I don't usually do this, but here I go.
ato308 wrote:
I'll concede that fraternities and sororities do, in fact, participate in community service. However, don't belittle our intelligence by trying to suggest that fraternities are anything other than social organizations.

ato308 wrote: What have you ever done to help anyone?

Seriously? I mean . . . seriously?

Wtf is this supposed to mean? That you're holier than thou and that no one else ITT has done a damned thing? Everyone who has told you to retake IS trying to help you. It's the best advice for your situation.
ato308 wrote:Secondly, I'm in a economics honor society. I have a 3.7 major GPA ( economics). In this major I do a lot of Calculus and Econometric's. Sorry i didn't take communications ( have fun explaining to your employer that your lemme fix this for you, you're not analytically inclined), History ( It's different in every culture, along with this, you could have saved your parents 100k and went to the local library.), Political Science ( your (uh oh, another problem) you're outdated a year after you graduate, along with this it's a joke science, see comment on communications.) Unlucky for me is that my school is an AACSB accredited business institution, which means accounting is extremely hard and I didn't do so well in it.
I have a BS in history and a BA in English. I also have a minor in biochemistry, so stfu when you're going on about how difficult economics was. Your degree doesn't mean that 100% of the classes you took were in that one discipline. In fact, many successful medical students pursue degrees in English in order to ensure that they are learned people, while still taking the appropriate science courses. I'll contend that some degrees may on the surface appear "easier" than others, but let's be honest, each program has its own value. Also, each program has its own difficulties, whether it's playing a musical instrument, memorizing the citric acid cycle, or looking at Derrida's conceptions of posthumanism.

How ignorant of you to suppose that a history degree is useless. As any educated person knows, education is what you make of it. The most effective types of education come through intelligent discussions, which (for the record) are what you will experience in a wide variety of law school classes. Otherwise, why not go down to the library, check out all of the legal books, and teach yourself? Then we could all just save the 150k, right? And oh damn, will you need to go back to school when the law changes...I mean, you might be outdated by a year?

ato308 wrote: And no I'm not a URM, and even if I was I would never use it to my advantage. Graduating college as a former foster child of 12 years would qualify me as being more a URM thenthan a real URM (a.k.a Black or Hispanic). My life situation was hard, but I never expect anyone to pity me or give me handouts, you're a product of yourself and I don't blame anyone for what I've become.
I don't even know where to begin with this nonsense. As a URM, I don't expect anyone to pity me. There's nothing to pity. I am not ashamed of my heritage. I am not ashamed of my family. I am not ashamed of who I am as a person. I don't need anyone to take pity on me. Naturally, there are a lot of disagreements about URMs and their cycles to law school. I won't lie, there are times when I'm quite irritated by fellow URMs who believe that they don't have to try as hard to succeed because of the color of their skin. But, in large part, that's the minority. How dare you make such a broad claim about an entire group of people. And, what is this shit about being more URM than the "real" URMs? What does that even mean?

The truth is, we all have hard times. For the most part, every single person on this planet has been through one thing or another, and a good many people have been through multiple hardships. Sometimes those hardships come in the form of discrimination. Other times, those hardships are seen through the lens of poverty or child abuse. I wouldn't presume to ever understand your background, just as there's no way for you to know mine.

Which is exactly why I'd never make the comments you made.

Back to the topic at hand.

Your GPA is low. Your LSAT is decent for a good portion of schools, but it's not high enough to counterbalance your GPA. If you want a top school (and correspondingly a decent job) you need to get the best LSAT score you can. The only way to do that is to study, work your butt off, and get a higher score. Without this, you're looking at a completely different range of schools.

I wish you the best of luck.
Last edited by thelawschoolproject on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

bruindke

New

Post by bruindke » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:50 am

lol what an asshole.

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:00 am

ato308 wrote:I guess you'd call an engineering or physics major a condescending fuck if their GPA was a 2.8, compared to that of a political science major who probably has a 3.5+?
You are going to fit in perfect in law school. Check back here in 2 years so we can hear your excuses why your 2.8/econ honors society didn't land you a job at OCI.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:01 am

ato308 wrote:Some people on this site are ignorant.

If by a lot of Calculus you mean Calculus I for Business Majors, yea.

Also if you have a 3.7 in Econ, why the fuck do you have a 2.8 total? Did you somehow get a 2.1 in your gen eds?

2.8 in a social study. Ouch Bro.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:00 am

You are very angry. 3.85 as a Business Major with honors accounting, etc. Of course AP'd Calulus so I can't compare that. 4.0 in my econ. Wah, wah, wah.

Since you can't change your GPA you need to really work on that LSAT. You say you wouldn't use URM status if you had it, yet you are upset that you can't use your adopted status.

No fraternity. Just a JOB.

We all have a story.

Eirhoff73

New

Post by Eirhoff73 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:48 am

Have you considered a master degree program to boost the GPA. May I suggest basket weaving? All jokes aside, it could boost you GPA.

You are in quite a pickle. If you choose a t-3/4 school, it seems that you can only get hired locally (to the school). However, if you want a better chance, get a better GPA and a better LSAT score. Both will make you look like a real option for admissions in t-1/2 schools. Give up on the soft stuff and plan to give back AFTER you graduate. Sorry to be so blunt, but you can be more effective as a giver if you have something to really give.

Good luck.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:52 am

regardless of how you justify your 2.8 gpa with bullshit, you still got a 164 on your lsat. Most of the people giving advice to you here scored high than that.

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:53 am

I am pretty sure they only count UG GPA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”