3.99 LSAC GPA, 161/168, Poor Softs... Any chance T-14?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
annadk
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:53 pm

3.99 LSAC GPA, 161/168, Poor Softs... Any chance T-14?

Postby annadk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:35 am

Not sure where to apply. I want T-14 or bust but obviously YHS is just going to laugh at my app. Double major Psych/Eng. Worried about softs because they're kind of weak... lots of various working with the disabled/mentally ill/etc more or less full time while in college but no thesis or awards to speak of besides the typical PBK, Dean's list, etc.... founding officer of a cultural club + trilingual. Post college, a year volunteering w/ public service legal office and a GLOWING rec from them.... but that's about it. Where do I stand, guys?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: 3.99 LSAC GPA, 161/168, Poor Softs... Any chance T-14?

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:42 am

I had a 4.0/168 and your softs are easily better than mine and I got into Cornell, Georgetown, and Chicago; was rejected from Berkeley and NYU (the latter after a long ride on the waitlist); withdrew from Michigan after being waitlisted. In your position I'd make sure to apply to Chicago, NYU, Berkeley, Michigan, Virginia, Penn, Cornell, Duke, and Georgetown. Fill in a couple of safety schools in the region where you'd like to work.

annadk
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: 3.99 LSAC GPA, 161/168, Poor Softs... Any chance T-14?

Postby annadk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:58 am

Thank Bildungsroman, that gives me peace of mind. Love the username by the way-- fellow English major?

Think I'll skip the safeties. What's the point? If every T-14 rejects me, I'll take that as my sign I should pick a different career path.

EDIT: Wait, why not Northwestern? You listed #5-14 but excluded that one.
Last edited by annadk on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: 3.99 LSAC GPA, 161/168, Poor Softs... Any chance T-14?

Postby FryBreadPower » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:00 am

annadk wrote:Thank Bildungsroman, that gives me peace of mind. Love the username by the way-- fellow English major?

Think I'll skip the safeties. What's the point? If every T-14 rejects me, I'll take that as my sign I should pick a different career path.


They won't. Besides, these are hardly "poor" softs. Also, you can gain fulfilling work after going to a high ranked regional school as long as you choose as high as possible, try to minimize your debt, and kick ass at the school. Don't get discouraged if the T-14 doesn't bite.

annadk
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: 3.99 LSAC GPA, 161/168, Poor Softs... Any chance T-14?

Postby annadk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:15 am

@FryBreadPower God, you guys are really sweethearts on this board. Thanks for reminding me that the T-14 don't decide my worth, I do.... Baaah, that sounds cheesy, but I mean it! I'm sure you guys can relate to the stress of the whole process... anyway, problem with regional schools is I don't know what region I want to work in. I want the freedom to go wherever.

Now I've just got to figure out how to lure someone into trading PS and DS with me for editing purposes... you guys think the thread title "BEST PS EVER OMG LOLZORZ" will lure them in? Kidding.....

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 3.99 LSAC GPA, 161/168, Poor Softs... Any chance T-14?

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:18 am

annadk wrote:I want the freedom to go wherever.

This isn't how legal hiring works. Even from a T14 it's very hard to get a job in regions where you don't have preexisting ties (except NYC).

annadk
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: 3.99 LSAC GPA, 161/168, Poor Softs... Any chance T-14?

Postby annadk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:37 am

@Grizz Looking at the employment stats schools give, I was under the impression that grads from the top schools went to a variety of major markets. Stanford claims less than half in CA, 20% Mid-Atlantic (NYC), 20% Southeast (DC).... I know somewhere like Cornell those percentages drop significantly.... (5, 6%).... but other schools have a slightly bigger spread. I realize maybe my post might have sounded like I thought I could go work on the moon if I wanted but I just meant that the higher-ranked the school (in general), the larger percentage of their graduates are going to far-off major markets because of national "brand recognition," if you will, whereas regional school meant you are more or less 100% stuck in that region. If I'm wrong about this, which is quite possible, please feel free to point me to some readings I can use to educate myself...

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: 3.99 LSAC GPA, 161/168, Poor Softs... Any chance T-14?

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:49 am

annadk wrote:Thank Bildungsroman, that gives me peace of mind. Love the username by the way-- fellow English major?

Think I'll skip the safeties. What's the point? If every T-14 rejects me, I'll take that as my sign I should pick a different career path.

EDIT: Wait, why not Northwestern? You listed #5-14 but excluded that one.

Do you have full-time work experience? I know you said you have a year of volunteering after college but I didn't know whether you had post-college work experience besides that and, if not, how NU would treat that.

And no, I'm not an English major; I just like German. I learned the word Bildungsroman (and Kuntslerroman and Entwicklungsroman) reading a book written by a man who read the entire Encyclopaedia Britannica and I thought it sounded cool.

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: 3.99 LSAC GPA, 161/168, Poor Softs... Any chance T-14?

Postby mrloblaw » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:05 am

annadk wrote:@Grizz Looking at the employment stats schools give, I was under the impression that grads from the top schools went to a variety of major markets. Stanford claims less than half in CA, 20% Mid-Atlantic (NYC), 20% Southeast (DC).... I know somewhere like Cornell those percentages drop significantly.... (5, 6%).... but other schools have a slightly bigger spread. I realize maybe my post might have sounded like I thought I could go work on the moon if I wanted but I just meant that the higher-ranked the school (in general), the larger percentage of their graduates are going to far-off major markets because of national "brand recognition," if you will, whereas regional school meant you are more or less 100% stuck in that region. If I'm wrong about this, which is quite possible, please feel free to point me to some readings I can use to educate myself...


HYS are far more national than the other T-14. As an NYU student, I wouldn't be precluded from the Houston market, were I from Texas, merely because I went to NYU. However, my odds at getting a job in Texas as a non-Texan are pretty shitty, even with my CCN degree. The smaller the market, the more insular, and the less likely to be impressed by a fancy high-learnin' law degree (in general).

If you don't go to HYS, don't bank on being able to work anywhere except NYC + where you have strong regional ties. Sure, it might happen if you're somehow an exceptional candidate, but don't bet on it going in.

annadk
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: 3.99 LSAC GPA, 161/168, Poor Softs... Any chance T-14?

Postby annadk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:19 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Do you have full-time work experience? I know you said you have a year of volunteering after college but I didn't know whether you had post-college work experience besides that and, if not, how NU would treat that.

And no, I'm not an English major; I just like German. I learned the word Bildungsroman (and Kuntslerroman and Entwicklungsroman) reading a book written by a man who read the entire Encyclopaedia Britannica and I thought it sounded cool.


The volunteer work was full-time-ish (30hrs/wk average). I moved back in with family to a rural region (read: not really any paid job openings) post-college for family reasons (long and complicated story), so I did what I could. Did also work 25-35 hrs/wk my senior year in mental health field. Not sure how NU would feel about all that. But I guess you're saying that NU is probably not my best shot, seeing as how they're so work experience focused? NU's not really my first choice either... or even my second or third. Was just curious why you left it out.

Sounds like a neat book. I only knew the word from its literary context.

-----

@mrloblaw Ok, thanks, that puts things in perspective. NYC is where I figured I'd end up anyway... and also where my regional ties are. So I guess my choice is NYC or NYC...... Goodbye dreams of sunny CA. (Edit: Yes, I realize I could go to a regional school there and network etc etc, but then I'm stuck on the other side of the country for good)

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: 3.99 LSAC GPA, 161/168, Poor Softs... Any chance T-14?

Postby duckmoney » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:30 am

annadk wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Do you have full-time work experience? I know you said you have a year of volunteering after college but I didn't know whether you had post-college work experience besides that and, if not, how NU would treat that.

And no, I'm not an English major; I just like German. I learned the word Bildungsroman (and Kuntslerroman and Entwicklungsroman) reading a book written by a man who read the entire Encyclopaedia Britannica and I thought it sounded cool.


The volunteer work was full-time-ish (30hrs/wk average). I moved back in with family to a rural region (read: not really any paid job openings) post-college for family reasons (long and complicated story), so I did what I could. Did also work 25-35 hrs/wk my senior year in mental health field. Not sure how NU would feel about all that. But I guess you're saying that NU is probably not my best shot, seeing as how they're so work experience focused? NU's not really my first choice either... or even my second or third. Was just curious why you left it out.

Sounds like a neat book. I only knew the word from its literary context.

-----

@mrloblaw Ok, thanks, that puts things in perspective. NYC is where I figured I'd end up anyway... and also where my regional ties are. So I guess my choice is NYC or NYC...... Goodbye dreams of sunny CA. (Edit: Yes, I realize I could go to a regional school there and network etc etc, but then I'm stuck on the other side of the country for good)


Berkeley would be a good option for that. It would open up the CA market while still carrying enough weight to get you back to NYC.

Of course, you'd have to go to Berkeley...

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15475
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: 3.99 LSAC GPA, 161/168, Poor Softs... Any chance T-14?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:36 pm

Just wanted to say that the humility regarding your softs is appreciated.

annadk
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: 3.99 LSAC GPA, 161/168, Poor Softs... Any chance T-14?

Postby annadk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:51 pm

duckmoney wrote:Berkeley would be a good option for that. It would open up the CA market while still carrying enough weight to get you back to NYC.

Of course, you'd have to go to Berkeley...


You say that like it's a bad thing? What's wrong with Berkeley?

Tiago Splitter wrote:Just wanted to say that the humility regarding your softs is appreciated.


The softs of people on here with similar numbers make my head spin. God, you TLSers are effing amazing....

User avatar
Kring345
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:30 pm

Re: 3.99 LSAC GPA, 161/168, Poor Softs... Any chance T-14?

Postby Kring345 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:55 pm

annadk wrote:Not sure where to apply. I want T-14 or bust but obviously YHS is just going to laugh at my app. Double major Psych/Eng. Worried about softs because they're kind of weak... lots of various working with the disabled/mentally ill/etc more or less full time while in college but no thesis or awards to speak of besides the typical PBK, Dean's list, etc.... founding officer of a cultural club + trilingual. Post college, a year volunteering w/ public service legal office and a GLOWING rec from them.... but that's about it. Where do I stand, guys?

3.8 / 168 / 162, so your stats are better than mine. I am a combat vet though, so maybe it balances out the GPA difference. And, FWIW, Ive already been accepted to Gtown and Michigan. I also expect to get Cornell and wouldnt be surprised by Northwestern. Penn, UVA, Berk, and Duke arent out of the equation either, but a little more difficult.

Just check out LawSchoolNumbers.com Plenty of t14 chances for you, my friend.

annadk
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: 3.99 LSAC GPA, 161/168, Poor Softs... Any chance T-14?

Postby annadk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:14 pm

Kring345 wrote:3.8 / 168 / 162, so your stats are better than mine. I am a combat vet though, so maybe it balances out the GPA difference. And, FWIW, Ive already been accepted to Gtown and Michigan. I also expect to get Cornell and wouldnt be surprised by Northwestern. Penn, UVA, Berk, and Duke arent out of the equation either, but a little more difficult.

Just check out LawSchoolNumbers.com Plenty of t14 chances for you, my friend.


I have spent some time on LSN.com as well as played with all the probability calcs, and I was afraid that people were going to just point me there because I'm not a splitter/URM/etc. I still posted because I was concerned my softs are weaker than people with similar numbers though so number comparisons wouldn't be accurate, like your softs for example (Thank you for serving our country!). I've had some assurances above though that people have had a shot with what they claim are weaker/equal softs, so I guess I'll take my chances.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: 3.99 LSAC GPA, 161/168, Poor Softs... Any chance T-14?

Postby duckmoney » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:31 pm

annadk wrote:
duckmoney wrote:Berkeley would be a good option for that. It would open up the CA market while still carrying enough weight to get you back to NYC.

Of course, you'd have to go to Berkeley...


You say that like it's a bad thing? What's wrong with Berkeley?


Nothing as long as you smell bad and/or are a hippy.

In all seriousness, Berkeley is a fine school. It just has a culture that isn't for everyone. But if you like California and want to keep NYC open (and you can't get in to Stanford, which is most people), it's probably your best option.

annadk
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: 3.99 LSAC GPA, 161/168, Poor Softs... Any chance T-14?

Postby annadk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:47 pm

duckmoney wrote:Nothing as long as you smell bad and/or are a hippy.

In all seriousness, Berkeley is a fine school. It just has a culture that isn't for everyone. But if you like California and want to keep NYC open (and you can't get in to Stanford, which is most people), it's probably your best option.


Like California? Check. Want to go back to NYC one day? Check. Putrid smelling hippy who uses soap made of twigs and rainbows? Double check.

Berkeley, you and I are a match made in heaven.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests