2.1, 176

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
RogerWaters

2.1, 176

Postby RogerWaters » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:45 pm

I know the standard routine with spitters is to blanket a bunch of schools and then hope they get into the top 20 or so, but my situation sort of messed up and I'm trying to figure out if law school will in the end be worth applying to at all. To make a long story short, I had a 3.3 then transferred after my freshman year then 2.7, 2.1, 1.5, 0.9 and the failed out after 5 years of college and 5 classes left to go. I worked with no success (if you think it's tough to get a job out of law school, try putting high school diploma as your highest level of education on resumes and see how many call backs you get) and jumped around a bit before working a year in construction. I then went back to my undergrad and finished my degree with a 2.01, but this is with redemption hours and the like that my undergrad institution uses to inflate GPA's. On my LSDAS I have a 2.1 and my last semester when I finished (4.0) isn't factored in because it was beyond my 5th year. So I guess that just counts for a soft, sort of. Also, the 176 is on the books, not on a practice or anything.

I've been told from people that go to lower tier law schools (Hofstra, St. Johns) that I wouldn't stand a chance at admission to their schools - while also reading on these forums and seeing people on LSN with slightly higher GPA's (but lower LSAT) making top 20 rather routinely.

Since I don't really want to (can't) apply to 100 law schools, it would be great if any of you knowledgable people would be able to at least give me a decent range where I should be looking.

Thanks.

bport hopeful

Re: 2.1, 176

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:48 pm

RogerWaters wrote:I know the standard routine with spitters is to blanket a bunch of schools and then hope they get into the top 20 or so, but my situation sort of messed up and I'm trying to figure out if law school will in the end be worth applying to at all. To make a long story short, I had a 3.3 then transferred after my freshman year then 2.7, 2.1, 1.5, 0.9 and the failed out after 5 years of college and 5 classes left to go. I worked with no success (if you think it's tough to get a job out of law school, try putting high school diploma as your highest level of education on resumes and see how many call backs you get) and jumped around a bit before working a year in construction. I then went back to my undergrad and finished my degree with a 2.01, but this is with redemption hours and the like that my undergrad institution uses to inflate GPA's. On my LSDAS I have a 2.1 and my last semester when I finished (4.0) isn't factored in because it was beyond my 5th year. So I guess that just counts for a soft, sort of. Also, the 176 is on the books, not on a practice or anything.

I've been told from people that go to lower tier law schools (Hofstra, St. Johns) that I wouldn't stand a chance at admission to their schools - while also reading on these forums and seeing people on LSN with slightly higher GPA's (but lower LSAT) making top 20 rather routinely.

Since I don't really want to (can't) apply to 100 law schools, it would be great if any of you knowledgable people would be able to at least give me a decent range where I should be looking.

Thanks.

Jesus this is rough. I honestly dont know what to tell you, but youre gunna get a lot of different answers.

bandenjamin

Postby bandenjamin » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:49 pm

Don't see why you can't apply to top 100.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

There are plenty that you're an admit (lower T2) and a few "considers" in the T1. Heck it's worth a try, if you really want to be a lawyer. Don't think of it as a way to fame and fortune.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Where do you want to live/work? I'd apply in the area(s) that you are ok with. You have a great LSAT, but your GPA will kill you. The best thing to do is set a couple of schools in the areas you want and hope for the best. I'm pretty sure you are out of the running for any schools in the Top 20, but you may get lucky if you right an amazing addendum, PS, etc...

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:52 pm

Why was your 4.0 semester not factored in by LSAC ? Had you already receive your BS/BA degree ?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:53 pm

Wow, bro, that's fucking rough. From one splitter to another, I wish you the best. Blanket as many schools as you can afford and would want to attend.
Last edited by crumpetsandtea on Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:53 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Why was your 4.0 semester not factored in by LSAC ? Had you already receive your BS/BA degree ?

Does LSAC not count anything after 5 years of full-time coursework?

RogerWaters

Postby RogerWaters » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:58 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Why was your 4.0 semester not factored in by LSAC ? Had you already receive your BS/BA degree ?

After 10 FT semesters they cut you off. I'm not sure if they use # of semesters or credit hours attempted as the cutoff though.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:59 pm

The top 10 are out, but most other Tier One (Top 50) law schools are in play.
Consider Northwestern, Cornell, WashUStL, Vanderbilt, Minnesota, BU, Indiana, Iowa, Emory, Illinois, Wake Forest, SMU & Tulane.

Also consider part-time programs at Georgetown, GWU & Fordham.

Certainly the rest of your application will receive intense scrutiny.

P.S. Don't focus on why law schools are likely to reject you, but on why they should accept you.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:00 pm

RogerWaters wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

After 10 FT semesters they cut you off. I'm not sure if they use # of semesters or credit hours attempted as the cutoff though.

I think this is wrong. LSAC's normal cutoff is, to my knowledge, when you get your first bachelor's.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:01 pm

?
Last edited by jim-green on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Englander742

Postby Englander742 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:08 pm

Write some killer essays - prove that your LSAT is more important than your GPA. You've gotta be smart to rock a 176 on the LSAT - show it through addenda and essays.

You've got a shot at some good schools because some are using Splitters to boost numbers (some high GPA and some high LSAT can really help medians.)

Great advice here to show why you should be accepted - I'm sure there are some great reasons there.

Also WUSTL might be a good choice because they're so LSAT heavy.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:26 pm

Northwestern is not in play. With no substantive work experience and a GPA that low, it'd be a waste of $100.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:29 pm

When did OP graduate ? Any WE after graduation ?

P.S. OP: If Hofstra & St. John's won't accept you, then send them a thank you note.

Return to “What are my chances?”