3.39, 167 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
aaramil

New

3.39, 167

Post by aaramil » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:56 am

So I imagine these numbers make me a no-go at T14 and waitlisted in remaining top 25. If I am set on attending this cycle, should I apply late and retake in Dec to raise LSAT to 170+ (PT range is 172-174), or should I apply early, hope to be admitted in Top 25, and retake in February after decisions are made in order to improve chances of getting in off the waitlist?

aaramil

New

Re: 3.39, 167

Post by aaramil » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:20 pm

bump

aaramil

New

Post by aaramil » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:44 am

Bump. Any advice is appreciated.

ggibelli

Bronze

Post by ggibelli » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:47 am

aaramil wrote:So I imagine these numbers make me a no-go at T14 and waitlisted in remaining top 25. If I am set on attending this cycle, should I apply late and retake in Dec to raise LSAT to 170+ (PT range is 172-174), or should I apply early, hope to be admitted in Top 25, and retake in February after decisions are made in order to improve chances of getting in off the waitlist?
If I were you and going to retake, I'd get my apps in now for schools non-T14. And then you can update them later with your more recent score and negotiate scholly $

Any specific schools below the T14 you're looking at in particular?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:51 am

You'll get into at least one school in the top 25 with those numbers. Slim chance you might land one of the lower T14, maybe. The question is whether the T25 will be in the market where you want to work.

If you can sit out a year and retake, do it. Law schools will always be around next year. Your opportunity to avoid crushing debt will not, if you make a bad choice because you rushed into it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:27 am

aaramil

New

Post by aaramil » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:46 am

I appreciate the insight Grizz, but I have already visited lawschoolnumbers. That is why I know I am out at T14 and likely waitlisted at T25.

My question was whether I should retake in December and apply late to schools (including T14) with a higher LSAT or cut my losses, focus on applying early to T25, and retake in February if necessary in order to negotiate $ or waitlist-admit.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:10 am

My question was whether I should retake in December and apply late to schools (including T14) with a higher LSAT or cut my losses, focus on applying early to T25, and retake in February if necessary in order to negotiate $ or waitlist-admit.
Either retake in December and ED somewhere (likely Duke II or UVA, since most deadlines would have passed) or dont worry about a February retake and take when you're fully prepared (June or October) for next cycle.

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:20 am

top30man wrote:
Either retake in December and ED somewhere (likely Duke II or UVA, since most deadlines would have passed) or dont worry about a February retake and take when you're fully prepared (June or October) for next cycle.
You will not get into Duke or UVA with those numbers, which are under or around both schools' 25%. You are not likely to be waitlisted at T25. I can see you getting into WUSTL or GW or BC/BU. Retake if youre absolutely sure you can do better. It's risky giving up a ton of open spots for a higher score, but if you think you can do a lot better, retake and apply late or next cycle would be even better.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:26 am

You will not get into Duke or UVA with those numbers, which are under or around both schools' 25%. You are not likely to be waitlisted at T25. I can see you getting into WUSTL or GW or BC/BU. Retake if youre absolutely sure you can do better. It's risky giving up a ton of open spots for a higher score, but if you think you can do a lot better, retake and apply late or next cycle would be even better.
I was saying if OP retook and tested at PT range. RC ftw.

aaramil

New

Post by aaramil » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:42 am

I appreciate the information! Is it possible to apply to WUSTL down right now and request to be reviewed as-is and have the T14 schools review me with the a December score. I have asked this question before, but the feedback was somewhat limited.

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:50 am

aaramil wrote:
I appreciate the information! Is it possible to apply to WUSTL down right now and request to be reviewed as-is and have the T14 schools review me with the a December score. I have asked this question before, but the feedback was somewhat limited.
I think you can. I'm not exactly sure how, since you have to list whether you're taking a future test - maybe send an email to admissions or call them? Also, some schools can say no, we don't review your file until all results are in. So I would call each school individually to find out their policy.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:54 am

aaramil wrote:
You'll get waitlisted at WUSTL, GW, and BU and stand a small chance of outright rejection at BC.

WUSTL tried hard to bump their median to 168 last year and did it. They took people with sub-3.0 GPAs if they had a 168 but routinely waitlisted 167s with GPAs in the mid 3s. Wait to retake before applying to WUSTL because you'll be waitlisted otherwise.

You could get in off GW's waitlist though if you're persistent. I did!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:50 pm

law4vus wrote:
aaramil wrote:
You'll get waitlisted at WUSTL, GW, and BU and stand a small chance of outright rejection at BC.

WUSTL tried hard to bump their median to 168 last year and did it. They took people with sub-3.0 GPAs if they had a 168 but routinely waitlisted 167s with GPAs in the mid 3s. Wait to retake before applying to WUSTL because you'll be waitlisted otherwise.

You could get in off GW's waitlist though if you're persistent. I did!
As a numbers twin of the OP who also applied to WUSTL, GW, and BU does anyone think the decrease in apps can definitely help me on these very-borderline schools?

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:53 pm

ThreeRivers wrote: As a numbers twin of the OP who also applied to WUSTL, GW, and BU does anyone think the decrease in apps can definitely help me on these very-borderline schools?
WUSTL is probably a waitlist. I don't know about BU but it just might tip you over. I think GW is the best bet. They admitted a lot of sub 3.0, 167s last year off the waitlist because they were in danger of losing their 167 median. I'd honestly anticipate a fall in the rankings for GW to 25-30 and they'll try hard to keep their median LSAT at 167. I think you could be admitted later in the cycle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”