How much does undergrad school matter?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lefty20

How much does undergrad school matter?

Postby lefty20 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:56 pm

New member, and very interested to read some of these threads. I'm wondering, do people think admissions boards give much more weight to a 3.4 at HYS for undergrad than at other schools? Would it be equivalent to a 3.6+ somewhere else, or is there not as much difference? Thanks.

Curious1

Re: How much does undergrad school matter?

Postby Curious1 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:58 pm

lefty20 wrote:New member, and very interested to read some of these threads. I'm wondering, do people think admissions boards give much more weight to a 3.4 at HYS for undergrad than at other schools? Would it be equivalent to a 3.6+ somewhere else, or is there not as much difference? Thanks.

This exact question is LITERALLY ANSWERED EVERY WEEK.

Use the search function.

In a nutshell: HYPS matter at the margins. Otherwise it's all the same.

Glock

Postby Glock » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:00 am

It doesn't matter. There's no adjustment indexes. For almost all applications your Ohio State GPA is the same as a Yale GPA. Top schools might be a cool soft, and it might help you a little at the school you are coming from.

lefty20

Postby lefty20 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:02 am

Thanks. Sorry about posing an already-answered question. I do appreciate it, though.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:03 am

Actually, it's been demonstrated that ivies prefer their own from undergrad.

Otherwise, doesn't matter.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:05 am

minnbills wrote:Actually, it's been demonstrated that ivies prefer their own from undergrad.

I've heard this is not true for Yale. But then again. Yale doesn't prefer anyone. They deign to allow you into their golden hall.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:08 am

Curious1 wrote:
minnbills wrote:Actually, it's been demonstrated that ivies prefer their own from undergrad.

I've heard this is not true for Yale. But then again. Yale doesn't prefer anyone. They deign to allow you into their golden hall.

I think it's Yale that has the most disproportionate # of ivy grads. Though this may just be a product of ivy kids being the most qualified group to go to elite schools in the first place.

Return to “What are my chances?”