How much does your undergraduate Institution Matter? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cgwifey

New

How much does your undergraduate Institution Matter?

Post by cgwifey » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:04 am

Due to my circumstances (husband in the military) I had to obtain my BA from a distance learning program. I have e-mailed various law school admissions whom I am interested in applying to, and they have all said that as long as my school is accredited, then I will not have a problem. My school is accreditied, and I should finish with about a 3.9, and I do realize my 3.9 from a distance learning program will not mean the same as it would from a more prestigous school.

However, how much will this effect my chances for admission? Any thoughts or does anyone know anyone who has been accepted with an undergrad like mine? If I get a good LSAT score will I be OK?

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Re: How much does your undergraduate Institution Matter?

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:11 am

It doesn't.
/thread

cgwifey

New

Post by cgwifey » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:24 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:It doesn't.
/thread

It doesn't matter at all?

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:26 am

cgwifey wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:It doesn't.
/thread

It doesn't matter at all?
It matters, but not enough to really matter. General wisdom is unless you graduated from...one of those colleges they have in prisons or Phoenix online (which might detract from your GPA) or HYP (which might add to it), it generally doesnt matter.
Last edited by Curious1 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:58 am

I think that people generalize a little too much on questions that schools may approach differently. I don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings, but a friend got a 177 and a 3.8, and his best result was $$ at DCNG. On the other hand, schools also may look at it in context. This friend had some credits from brick and mortar schools, and then finished online. That might be worse than an online degree by necessity. And I remember seeing an interview with the dean of admissions of from Georgetown saying specifically that they want to see a good reason for an online degree, and he mentioned the military as the example of a good reason.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:09 am

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION

We have literally answered this question hundreds of times.

zanzbar

Bronze

Post by zanzbar » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:50 am

shoeshine wrote:USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION

Oh no someone actually asked a valid question on an internet forum.... :roll:

foxtrottortxof

New

Post by foxtrottortxof » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:13 am

It matters much more for getting a job out of law school than for getting into law school.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:14 am

foxtrottortxof wrote:It matters much more for getting a job out of law school than for getting into law school.
hmm I hadn't considered this...please elaborate?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:15 am

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:17 am

Kilpatrick wrote:
foxtrottortxof wrote:It matters much more for getting a job out of law school than for getting into law school.
It does?

I went to a really shitty state school and I did fine.
QFLogicFail.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:17 am

Kilpatrick wrote:
It does?

I went to a really shitty state school and I did fine.
He probably just means alumni connections if you went to a top undergrad

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:27 am

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:52 am

UG does matter when looking for jobs, especially from a networking standpoint. Anecdotally, military service is a big plus in the job search process and while not being Goldman or McKinsey, I think it would outweigh any diluting effects of an online UG.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:57 am

TaipeiMort wrote:UG does matter when looking for jobs, especially from a networking standpoint. Anecdotally, military service is a big plus in the job search process and while not being Goldman or McKinsey, I think it would outweigh any diluting effects of an online UG.
I am military and have a degree from an online school (AMU). It doesn't seem to have hurt me at all with admission or finding a job through OCI. Univ of Phoenix may as several firms outright called it a diploma mill when talking about my school. My experience in the military may be the overcoming factor though, so not sure about your husband's. Make sure you can describe the benefits of the format and differentiate from Phoenix.

Edit: If it is Phoenix, make sure you can sell how it may be a degree mill but you didn't have a choice and put the effort in so learned from it. This won't help with admissions but may with OCI.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:19 pm

zanzbar wrote:
shoeshine wrote:USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION

Oh no someone actually asked a valid question on an internet forum.... :roll:
That is not what I meant. I meant that I personally have answered this question several times on here and I know there are threads that have comprehensively answered it.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=113665

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=154610

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=134657

OP read those.

Student23

New

Post by Student23 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:05 pm

Thank god I went to a cheapo school, what's the point of going to some expensive school when all that matters is your GPA/LSAT?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:28 am

Student23 wrote:Thank god I went to a cheapo school, what's the point of going to some expensive school when all that matters is your GPA/LSAT?
Ur sad.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:14 pm

Why did my Pre Law adviser say that law school's "like people from my school?" She said the statement was based on her conversations with admissions counselors.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:22 pm

89vision wrote:Why did my Pre Law adviser say that law school's "like people from my school?" She said the statement was based on her conversations with admissions counselors.
Because she wants to feel self-important, has no idea how law school admissions really work, they told her that to make her feel better about herself/her school, or some combination thereof.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:44 pm

I know a lot of people say it doesn't matter, but I just looked at CLS's fb group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1824834 ... 5/members/

Just scrolling down almost ALL the people seem to be from ivies, top privates or top public schools. I don't really see many people from really unknown 'podunk universities.' ::shrug:: Maybe it's a HYS + C thing, but just pointing it out...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:44 pm

Anecdotally, I think that where you went to UG plays more of a part in the job search when you starting looking at the most selective firms (say, NYC V10s + elite DC firms like W&C, Hogan, & WH + elite boutiques like Boies, Keker, etc.). Below that point, I didn't see it making much of a difference at all. And even when I thought it did, I saw it more in the form of people with top 10 UGs on their resumes doing better than my might have otherwise. I don't know. A lot of variables at play.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:48 pm

freestallion wrote:I know a lot of people say it doesn't matter, but I just looked at CLS's fb group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1824834 ... 5/members/

Just scrolling down almost ALL the people seem to be from ivies, top privates or top public schools. I don't really see many people from really unknown 'podunk universities.' ::shrug:: Maybe it's a HYS + C thing, but just pointing it out...
The people who go to the ivies, top privates or top public schools tend to do better than people who went to crap schools. I think it's as simple as that. Of course Harvard is going to be well represented at the top schools. What is the median LSAT score for a Harvard kid? 166 or something like that? My school's was in the 145 range. Also, the top schools have grade inflation. My UG's average GPA might have been around 2.9 or so.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:00 am

MrKappus wrote:
Student23 wrote:Thank god I went to a cheapo school, what's the point of going to some expensive school when all that matters is your GPA/LSAT?
Ur sad.
What's sad about this?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:55 am

as long as you went to an accredited undergrad, and didnt take an onliine program, it doesnt really matter. To get into law school, your grades and your performance on the LSAT are imporant. While it may help you get a job after undergrad, in law, where you go does matter some. ( firms care more about where you went to law school then where you went to undergrad) Its not about where you start your academic career, its where you finish thats important. So if your finish line is law school, that school will matter more than your undergrad ( and a lot of schools and people understand that kids want to keep their costs down by going the state school route then going to a private or out of state school for their professional degree)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”