167 / 3.7 - Chances? / Retake? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
colforbin

Bronze

167 / 3.7 - Chances? / Retake?

Post by colforbin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:25 pm

Here's my situation:

Currently working as a paralegal in biglaw firm in DC. If I apply this cycle, I'll have two years by the time I matriculate.

Unfortunately I've taken the lsat 3 times. Twice in undergrad and this June. On the June test I thought I could hit 170+, but I bombed one LR section. I'm kicking myself for taking the test twice while in undergrad, I feel like a wasted my retake options. I'm open to an October retake, but even with a high score, will 4 tries hurt my application?

I'm shooting for biglaw in New York, DC, or Chicago. I have ties to all three markets.

As it stands, do I even have a shot at the lower t14? How about Vandy or GW? How could I strategically use an ED?

Thoughts?

Perdevise

Bronze

Re: 167 / 3.7 - Chances? / Retake?

Post by Perdevise » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:46 pm

Law School Predictor (which is not perfect, but good for eyeballing) has you at consider (meaning between a 38-64% chance) at Penn on down, but I don't think that is very realistic. I feel your best bet would be to Early Action (non-binding) to Cornell, which would be your best bet to NY biglaw (according to LSP, you are at/or better than 58% of Cornell matriculants).

Sine this Early Action is nonbinding, I would possibly simultaneously ED (binding) to UVA (best shot foe DC, legendary ED boost) and since they have a quick turnaround, ED next if they deny you to M or P. UCLA, WUSTL safeties?

colforbin

Bronze

Post by colforbin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:05 pm

I'm inclined to agree that LSP is too optimistic. Comparing my LSP results to LSN, it would seem that I'm WL/in at most of the schools I'm considering. Definitely a bummer.

I really think I have a 170 in me, but if the lower t14 is going to judge me for have 4 scores, it really won't provide me any benefit.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:06 pm

EA is not the best option if you're a marginal candidate for Cornell -- they'll just end up holding your application and reviewing it after many regular decision applicants. But that said, yes, Cornell would be your best choice.

confusedlaw

Silver

Post by confusedlaw » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:16 pm

Same exact numbers, I'm looking at cornell vandy bc bu fordham mostly

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

colforbin

Bronze

Post by colforbin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Any other opinions or advice?

j12

Bronze

Post by j12 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:20 pm

I started out with a 3.7 167 and got my applications in late.

I would say you're likely WL at Vandy as this year they really seemed to be pulling for 169+ or 3.8+ individuals.
You should be in with $ at WUSTL. I don't know how competitive the GW ED/Full-Ride deal is, but you should look into that.

Gtown is likely WL or out. Seems you might have a shot at Cornell, don't really know as I didn't apply there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”