URM chances at CLS?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
One_Love

URM chances at CLS?

Postby One_Love » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi TLSers,

Wondering what my chances are at T20 with CLS as my reach. Here are my stats:

Attended mid-ranked UC school (T50 nationally)

-3.15 GPA (upward trend of 3.8+ last year; will be writing an addendum to explain severe medical illness during first two years)
-172 LSAT
-URM female (will be marking AA and NA)
-Some work experience in a law firm
-Average softs
-D1 scholarship athlete for two years (conference scholar athlete award) - I couldn't play all four years as a result of my illness

What schools should I be aiming for? Should I retake the LSAT? And should I write the addendum to explain low GPA due to illness? I had to make frequent trips to the emergency room, often times restricted to bed rest, several strong medications, had to redshirt first year and was forced to sit out the end of the second season. I hate having to explain all this, but its quite clear how much better I performed academically after my physicians and I got a hold of my condition (started making deans list mid-junior year, averaging 3.8+ my senior year). Please help.
Last edited by One_Love on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Re: chances at CLS?

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:22 pm

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

The T6 seem good to aim for, H is also probably worth an application as well. An LSAT retake won't really benefit you, it's your GPA that's killing you. If the medical illness was that severe I say go ahead and write one but I'm not too knowledgeable about addenda (of course be succinct about it and don't get too long winded in your addendum).

One_Love

Postby One_Love » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:29 pm

Thanks bk1 for your advice - I wasn't looking forward to taking another LSAT, so in a way I'm happy it won't make a difference :) . I had a difficult time finding URM splitters on lawschoolnumbers, but the ones that I did find had mixed results. I have actually found more information regarding URM splitters in this forum. I'm thinking of just blanketing the T14 (as early as possible in the cycle) to see if some luck comes my way. Anyone else on the GPA addendum? Also, what schools should I be aiming for if I want a decent scholarship?

bne90

Postby bne90 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:06 am

I'm interested in her chances as well. I am predicting my scores to be quite similar.

One_Love

Re: URM chances at CLS?

Postby One_Love » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:56 am

Anyone else? I've made a list of schools I will be applying to:

Harvard
Columbia
Chicago
NYU
Penn
Michigan
Boalt
UVA
Georgetown
Cornell
Duke
NU
UCLA
USC
UCD
UCI
UIUC
ND

Should I be aiming lower for scholarship money? I realized that T10-T14 may be my reach schools?

glewz

Postby glewz » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:59 am

Write the addendum, and apply to T14; pretty sure you'll be just fine. If you want some full/near-full scholarships, go lower.

BrianGriffintheDog

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:02 am

Hummm....AA & NA eh? I would love to hear more about this as I am interested in this. Normally, if you are half urm & half non-urm, you will be disadvantaged compared to someone who is a full urm. In this case, it appears that you got both the goodies.

bne90

Postby bne90 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:18 am

BrianGriffintheDog wrote:Hummm....AA & NA eh? I would love to hear more about this as I am interested in this. Normally, if you are half urm & half non-urm, you will be disadvantaged compared to someone who is a full urm. In this case, it appears that you got both the goodies.

Not trying to hijack the thread (maybe I should be asking this question in the URM forum), but do admission committees require an applicant to provide proof of NA ancestry like a CDIB card or tribal registration? I'm practically a quarter Choctaw, and although I am not registered with the tribe or have the federal card, I do identify as part NA and have worked on several NA reservations (which are not Choctaw) over the past year and half. I am also AA and expect to have similar numbers to the OP which is why I'm very interested in her chances, however I won't be applying until 2012-2013. I heard that AA receive the greatest "boost," if you may, in the cycles, but I always assumed that NA would receive a much larger one? Last question, is it possible to mark two boxes (AA and NA) on applications or do you have to choose one or mark biracial?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:20 am

BrianGriffintheDog wrote:Normally, if you are half urm & half non-urm, you will be disadvantaged compared to someone who is a full urm.

This is one of the dumbest things I've read all day.

bne90 wrote:Not trying to hijack the thread (maybe I should be asking this question in the URM forum), but do admission committees require an applicant to provide proof of NA ancestry like a CDIB card or tribal registration? I'm practically a quarter Choctaw, and although I am not registered with the tribe or have the federal card, I do identify as part NA and have worked on several NA reservations (which are not Choctaw) over the past year and half. I am also AA and expect to have similar numbers to the OP which is why I'm very interested in her chances, however I won't be applying until 2012-2013. I heard that AA receive the greatest "boost," if you may, in the cycles, but I always assumed that NA would receive a much larger one? Last question, is it possible to mark two boxes (AA and NA) on applications or do you have to choose one or mark biracial?

1. Some schools will want tribal registration some won't care. I'm not NA so I don't know specifically which ones but if you're curious you should make a thread about it. However, since you are AA it probably won't matter.
2. AA is the largest boost but you're not going to get a bigger boost for being both AA and NA.
3. You can mark both. They also won't know what percentage of you is what because they basically say "check all that apply." They won't know whether you're 1/2+1/2 or 1/8+7/8 and they won't care either.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:23 am

bk1 wrote:
BrianGriffintheDog wrote:Normally, if you are half urm & half non-urm, you will be disadvantaged compared to someone who is a full urm.

This is one of the dumbest things I've read all day.

+1

bne90

Postby bne90 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:32 am

Thanks bk1 for answering my questions, you were very helpful. I think I'm going to start a thread in the URM forum because I haven't found any decent threads (which I admit my forum search might not have been so thorough) regarding Native Americans.

Return to “What are my chances?”